Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing jobs in English.

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
11 of 22

Isn't it an even bigger responsibility to write an e-book for someone else though? 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 22

Scott wrote, "Yeah, I see it alot. You think they'd proofread they're portfolios for errors." Were you deliberately misspelling 'their' there?

13 of 22

I think that was a clever test by Scott to see who the most observant person is on this thread. You may now claim the prize which is a ..... KUDOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
14 of 22

Yes. And 'a lot'.

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
15 of 22

"Isn't it an even bigger responsibility to write an e-book for someone else though?" 

There's a saying in the UK that plumbers always have the worst pipes. I guess it works with any profession. If you're getting paid then you might be more motivated and determined to do a good job etc. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
screeler
Community Guru
16 of 22

My husband is a mason. His mom says there is a saying that masons have the shabbiest houses.

True saying though! lol .

monstersong
Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
17 of 22

I don't see clients asking for "perfect" English as a red flag, but I come from a writing background, where people expect you to at least be super-thorough, if not perfect, in your spelling and grammar. I think these request are understandable on Upwork, where a person hiring a writer probably isn't an English expert themselves. It makes sense to me that one of the reason's you're hiring a freelance writer is their expertise in this area.

For someone like Jennifer, who's pitching herself as a great tech & whatever else writer (feel free to steal this as your next Upwork tag, Jen), grammar/spelling aren't essential since her value comes from her expertise. When I'm pitching myself to clients, part of my value comes from my attention to grammar and spelling. One of us is a topic expert with strong language skills. The other is a language expert with strong research/marketing skills. The right fit usually depends on the job, the client, and the freelancer.

As for some of the jobs posted on here for writing, a lot of them are put up by piece of trash clients who are looking for piece of trash writing (and lots of it). Since I don't use up all of my connects month to month, it's all I can do sometimes not a send in a proposal that's as equally insulting as their post.

monstersong
Community Leader
18 of 22

In re: to Mariam

"While we're on the topic of writing, I have another question. How many of you write e-books for clients? I don't do that because if I had wanted to write whole e-books, shouldn't I write and publish them on Kindle myself? It's bad enough writing articles that will be published under someone else's name."

I don't do it because I'm unfamiliar with ebook formats and because most of the jobs I see posted are for rates that don't fly with me. That said, ghostwriting is a commonly enough requested skill.

The ones I really stay away from are the "rewrite/polish my short story/novel/screenplay" posts. Every one of these posts looks like a guaranteed nightmare.

My favorite recent example was someone who wanted their Lord of the Flies adaptation completely reworked and rewritten, as they were hoping to option it as an indie film. I can understand some of the posts asking for rewrites on original concepts, but the idea that you're hiring a ghostwriter to adapt a famous novel in the hopes of making a movie that's already been made? Yeesh.

zaidimariam
Ace Contributor
Mariam Fatima Z Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
19 of 22

Ahh yes the wannabe fantasy novel writers! I saw that post too.

Another one wanted a mix of Lord of the rings, Star Wars and one other sci-fi hit lol.

monstersong
Community Leader
20 of 22

We laugh, but years from now, when Ring of the Space Dune is raking in millions, we'll know what we missed out on (approx. $22.00 US).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS