Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Writing proposals in other languages

Highlighted
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
1 of 7

Job postings on Upwork are normally written in English, but we can see client locations.

 

Question for all freelancers who use other languages is when you find a job posting from a client located in a country whose official language you speak and use well, do you write it in that language or you still prefer English? What if it is your native language?

 

Also, question for moderators is whether all Unicode characters used in non-english languages are supported and displayed properly to the clients if used for writing proposals.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 7

Miroslav, since English is the official language of Upwork (and job postings are supposed to be written in it) I know of some freelancers who make note of the fact that they are fluent in the client's local language, but they write their proposals in English. They usually add that info pretty close to the top of the cover letter, FWIW. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
3 of 7
If the posting is for a translation job and if it is clear to me (from the language in the posting) that the client is a native French speaker, I will sometimes begin my proposal in French, then add a paragraph in English at the end. I have landed at least one job in this way. You do have to be very sure of yourself, of course, if you are not a native speaker. I was not aware that my French diacritical marks might have been showing oddly. Maybe I will leave those off in future.
Highlighted
Moderator
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 7

Hi Miroslav,

 

Thank you for your question.


Miroslav M wrote: 

Also, question for moderators is whether all Unicode characters used in non-english languages are supported and displayed properly to the clients if used for writing proposals.


 Since English is the only officially supported language on Upwork, certain characters in other languages may display incorrectly.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Cristina P Member Since: Apr 19, 2015
5 of 7

@Miroslav M wrote:

Job postings on Upwork are normally written in English, but we can see client locations.

 

Question for all freelancers who use other languages is when you find a job posting from a client located in a country whose official language you speak and use well, do you write it in that language or you still prefer English? What if it is your native language?

 

Also, question for moderators is whether all Unicode characters used in non-english languages are supported and displayed properly to the clients if used for writing proposals.



I had a situation on Elance, though it did not develop as I never accepted the project. The idea is, how can you dispute a project if your entire negotiation is in another language? While clients tend to use the language in which they are comfortable, I avoid discussing project specs in a language that will probably be useless in case of dispute. I will definitely stick to English.

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

I have no problem with proposals being written in non-English languages.

 

Many Upwork clients struggle with English and it would better if they worked specifically with clients who speak the same native language as they do.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 7

@Cristina P wrote:


I had a situation on Elance, though it did not develop as I never accepted the project. The idea is, how can you dispute a project if your entire negotiation is in another language? While clients tend to use the language in which they are comfortable, I avoid discussing project specs in a language that will probably be useless in case of dispute. I will definitely stick to English.


 I was going to bring up this point. If it goes to arbitration, I'm not sure I would trust the third-party to go through the hassle of translating. You might be screwed if it goes that way. I would stick to English just for that reason.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS