🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Wrong milestone set with full amount, cannot ...
Page options
1293acbd
Community Member

Wrong milestone set with full amount, cannot correct it later?

Hello,

I have started a new project for 4k and the payments were to be broken down into milestones.

I had set the milestones properly in my proposal, but when the client sent the offer he set 1 milestone of the full amount instead. I didnt notice that and accepted the offer.

1. Is there anyway to edit existing milestones? Client or myself cannot edit the first milestone of the full amount. We can only add new milestones, but then this will increase the overall contract value we agreed.

2. If we cancel the project and start a fresh contract with corrected milestones, will this affect my freelancer rating in any way, because of the cancelled project?

Would really appreciate some clarity on this.

Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mufaddal,

Your client can also release less funds from the milestone. Once this is done, your client can set up a second milestone and fund it for the agreed budget. 
If you would like to use this option, you can share this Guide with your client. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mufaddal,

Your client can also release less funds from the milestone. Once this is done, your client can set up a second milestone and fund it for the agreed budget. 
If you would like to use this option, you can share this Guide with your client. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks for your reply Goran.

So the best option would be to ask him to release a small payment first. Then I can edit milestones to set up the new milestones and the agreed buget for each milestone. This is a better way rather than cancel contract etc. This method would not affect freelancer rating as well

Hope I've understood correctly

Thanks for your advice.

petra_r
Community Member

Mufaddal H wrote:

Hello,

I have started a new project for 4k and the payments were to be broken down into milestones.

I had set the milestones properly in my proposal, but when the client sent the offer he set 1 milestone of the full amount instead. I didnt notice that and accepted the offer.

1. Is there anyway to edit existing milestones? Client or myself cannot edit the first milestone of the full amount. We can only add new milestones, but then this will increase the overall contract value we agreed.

2. If we cancel the project and start a fresh contract with corrected milestones, will this affect my freelancer rating in any way, because of the cancelled project?

Would really appreciate some clarity on this.

Thank you

If the client does not mind having the whole 4k tied up, you could just request $ 1000 when the first milestone is done, then the client can set up milestone two, funding it from the funds left in Escrow and so on.

Alternatively, you could do milestone one, request payment of the $ 1000, then close the contract (after approval) and release the $ 3000 back to the client. Then set up a second contract with the appropriate milestones.

Third option is to request $ 5 now for project setup, and the client approve that and then close the contract, sending the rest of the funds back to the client, and start again.

You just want to avoid a "nothing ever paid" contract. I'd personally go with option 1 or 2.

1293acbd
Community Member

Thanks for your reply Petra.

I think option 1 is what works best since there is no cancelled contracts involved.

The client doesn't mind the amount being tied up, infact its already funded milestone of the full amount so from client's perspective its the same thing.

Cheers

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members