🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client Is Threatening Me - Can I Flag Wit...
Page options
crystal_rector
Community Member

Wrongful Termination and Client Threats

How should I handle a client whose termination of me is fishy and who threatens me with a poor review (basically a lie about me that would be very damaging to my reputation) if I do not provide him with a good review? I have taken screenshots of everything for backup, including his threat and the current good review. I don't know how to contact Upwork about my concerns.
15 REPLIES 15
mtngigi
Community Member

Crystal R wrote:
How should I handle a client whose termination of me is fishy and who threatens me with a poor review (basically a lie about me that would be very damaging to my reputation) if I do not provide him with a good review? I have taken screenshots of everything for backup, including his threat and the current good review. I don't know how to contact Upwork about my concerns.

That is feedback manipulation and is against TOS - it should be reported. I've flagged your post so hopefully a mod will come along soon to help out.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate any help I can get with this.
petra_r
Community Member

The feedback manipulation is a violation of Upwork's terms of service and yes, that should be reported.

However, there is no such thing as "wrongful termination" in freelancing. It's not employment. Clients can end their relationship with any freelancer at any time for any (or no) reason, just as a freelancer can end any contract at any time for any (or no) reason at all.

Yes, I realize that. I just wasn't sure how to word it because I think he didn't terminate the contract for the same reason he gave me. I think I may have gotten him in trouble with the platform for dishonest activities and he lashed out at me.

Crystal R wrote:
 I think I may have gotten him in trouble with the platform for dishonest activities and he lashed out at me.

Ah.

Yes.

In future: Do NOT report clients until a contract is closed.

I learned that the hard way too 😉

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Crystal, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. I have forwarded your concern to the team so that they can investigate it further. To comply with our privacy policy, please know that I will not be able to come back here with an update, which I hope you will understand. The team will take the necessary actions against the account as they see fit.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you. Does that mean I do not need to respond to him about this or try and figure out how to report him? Will "the team" know who to look for?

Crystal R wrote:
Thank you. Does that mean I do not need to respond to him about this or try and figure out how to report him? Will "the team" know who to look for?

You can block this cilent, your contract is ended. 

Now, head to the New to Upwork community discussion forum and read through some of the top posts there. Get familiar with how 'bad' clients behave and what your rights are as a freelancer and business owner. The way people behave in online settings (and freelance platforms, in particular) is not what you would expect. Knowing the environment better will help you practice defensive freelancing. 😉

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Try to keep him posting his messaging on the Upwork system. 

If nothing else, respond to his non-Upwork messaging on the Upwork system, so Upwork can easily see the trail of his posts.

If he won't post on this system, copy his posts from elsewhere and include them in your responses to him.

Good luck!

crystal_rector
Community Member

My client has already provided a good review, but he is threatening to change it if I don't give him a good review - and accusing me of doing something I did not do, which he says he will put in the review. I need help in learning how best to report him for violation of Terms of Service.

Can I flag the message for "Manipulation of Reviews" without his knowledge so he will not lash out at me but Upwork will investigate? I want to report him but I don't want him to see it before Upwork sees it because he is already threatening me. I am pretty new here and I am unfamiliar with the "Reporting" process. I have taken screenshots of all of our conversations since the very beginning, but I don't know if that is necessary or not because maybe Upwork can see our whole conversation (I hope)? I'm attaching a copy/paste of our entire conversation since he first hired me (it begins April 1 of this year and it's been an ongoing job), but here is the copy/paste of the last part where he threatened me - and again, I did NOT do what he says I did.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

If he already left the feedback, I don't believe he can change or update it without your permission. That's how the system is designed.  So there's no need for you to give in to blackmail, and he'll be removed from Upwork for violation of TOS. 

Once you flag/report him, it'll be anonymous - but I'm not sure why you care. He already left the feedback, so there's nothing he can do to retaliate at this point.

Crystal,

Two things:

1) You received responses about this matter on this thread, including one from an Upwork mod: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Wrongful-Termination-and-Client-Threats/m-p/746882#M4558...

2) It is frowned upon to start a new thread concerning the same topic. It's also not allowed to post personal client information of any kind - you should delete that, or a mod will come along and remove it.

Crystal, 

Your client cannot manipulate feedback, and you must definitely report him for trying to do so. It seems you have already had problems with this client. It is time to move on, even if your ratings take a hit. The client is a manipulator and bottom feeder.  You need to quit this job and leave honest feedback. The client might dispute. If he does, refuse to refund and take your case to arbitration if necessary. 

Hi Crystal, 

I understand how this experience can be frustrating for you. As I have noted in my reply yesterday on your original thread, I have already reported this to the team and they are currently investigating this further. I have also shared the messages exchanged between you and your client for the team's further reference. At this time, there is no need to file a report. 

Please also refrain from posting chat transcripts, and posting the same concern on different threads as this is considered spam, and both instances are considered a violation of the Upwork Community Guidelines. If you have further questions regarding this, please don't hesitate to post it as a reply to this thread. 

As for the results of the team's investigation, I would like to reiterate that we will not be able to come back here with the results of the investigation to comply with our privacy policy. Let me know if you have other questions!

~ Avery
Upwork

I'm very sorry to have misstepped on protocols. I will not create new threads or post any personal info now that you and someone else have explained this to me.

I wanted to know if I needed to report it directly - and how to best go about it to protect myself if I did. And I didn't know if you or they had enough information for investigating it. It's been eating me up and I was afraid if I waited he would retaliate for my lack of response.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths