Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yahoo messenger

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
1 of 4

I see people saying that clients who ask for interview through Yahoo messenger are all scammers? I'm unaware of this. Why is that? I use Skype with 100% of my clients, and as far as I know...Yahoo is the same thing pretty much isn;t it?

I've never used Yahoo, so obviously I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
Community Guru
Angela L Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
2 of 4

I think it's more that the scammers tend to send their invites with the  message "Log on to Yahoo messenger now where Ms. Whoever is waiting to Interview you".  I think this is because it is easier to create a lot of throw-away Yahoo accounts ?

Most of the time if a client wants an interview it's by voice, not chat. Usually if they have questions that can be answered via chat they will ask by e-mail. (The exception to that is if it's a job that requires you to perform live chat customer service with clients, in which case the client may want to chat via IM to see how you handle it). I have had quite a few interviews over Skype voice ( a couple of times Skype Video call), and a few times I have had telephone interviews, but I have never had a legit interview invite over Yahoo.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4
Tony, this has been discussed extensively on other threads.

There are no known confirmed cases of legitimate clients using Yahoo Messenger. For a lot of reasons, already outlined elsewhere, Yahoo Messenger (which is quite different from Skype) is only used by scammers.

We have seen dozens of reports of the scams using Yahoo Messenger. They all follow the same patterns.

There is no money to be earned from any "client" who asks a contractor to use Yahoo Messenger for any reason. There is considerable risk.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
4 of 4

It's better to request the client to come on Skype or Gmail hangout that's the best option to communicate. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS