Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes another Connect post.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Russell T Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
1 of 28

So I get that they want to streamline freelancers down to successful freelancers that add real money to the bottom line for Upwork. So here is an off the shelf idea. Insted of no free connects(negative reinforcement). Why not reward success and successful working relationships. Could be as simple as for every $500 earned in a given span. You get X number of connects added to your account.  Positively reinforcing their end goal.

The whole point is bringing money into the platform is it not?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 28

Russell T wrote:

Could be as simple as for every $500 earned in a given span. You get X number of connects added to your account.  Positively reinforcing their end goal.

Neat idea in principle, let's say $ 500 a week, but most of those people who make the kind of money Upwork wants us to make, likely don't need many connects anyway.

Community Guru
Catherine M Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
3 of 28

I agree with Petra. I make more than $500 a week on Upwork and haven't used connects in ages. There is no incentive whatsoever for Upwork to reward me with something I don't use.

Community Guru
4 of 28

Catherine M wrote:

I agree with Petra. I make more than $500 a week on Upwork and haven't used connects in ages. There is no incentive whatsoever for Upwork to reward me with something I don't use.

Let's face it, nobody thinks "Oh, I think I'll work some extra this week so I can get more connects..."

People earn money for the money, not for connects...

Community Leader
5 of 28

You're assuming that they don't need connects to garner new work.

I'll use myself as an example. This is my 2nd or 3rd week of no connects. I have the bandwith for more projects(obvi thats why I have time to post here).  However,  since I watch my pennies closely as many freelancers do I refuse to purchase them. The success rate of sealing a deal with a client is way off kilter for it to be a value proposition for me and many others I'd assume. 

Lets say it takes 30 proposals at 6 connects to win a single contract(being kind). That equates to $30 give or take. Thats for a single gig with no gaurantee that it will be anything more. Not to mention the time and effort that goes into crafting a personal proposal.

Community Guru
6 of 28

Russell T wrote:

However,  since I watch my pennies closely as many freelancers do, I refuse to purchase them.

Well.... then... that's the end of the road then? You continue working with existing / repeat clients until they retire / fade away / die?

Community Leader
7 of 28

Completely understand that its probably the end of my chapter here at Upwork. Still doesn't dissuade me seaking alternatives to acheive the same result. If not a more lucurative one for Upwork. 

Community Guru
8 of 28

Russell T wrote:

Completely understand that its probably the end of my chapter here at Upwork.

Like Kelly, I really don't understand that way of thinking...

It's a shame because you're one of those for whom buying connects would make sense.

Is it more out of principle? Isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face so to say?

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
9 of 28

Russell T wrote:

You're assuming that they don't need connects to garner new work.

I'll use myself as an example. This is my 2nd or 3rd week of no connects. I have the bandwith for more projects(obvi thats why I have time to post here).  However,  since I watch my pennies closely as many freelancers do I refuse to purchase them. The success rate of sealing a deal with a client is way off kilter for it to be a value proposition for me and many others I'd assume. 

Lets say it takes 30 proposals at 6 connects to win a single contract(being kind). That equates to $30 give or take. Thats for a single gig with no gaurantee that it will be anything more. Not to mention the time and effort that goes into crafting a personal proposal.

I don't understand. Looking at your profile, a) it seems like you should be receiving as many invitations as the rest of us, and b) it seems like you are a professional and understand that spending $30 to make $30k is a no brainer.

I "spend" more money in time and gas getting to my local clients.

Community Leader
10 of 28

Thanks Kelly, 

I normally don't need connects an as you see I have many long term clients. Yet there is always and ebb and flow in freelance work(including invites).  That being said its not a no-brainer for me. Sorry it's not. If you said that the $30 would equate to $30K then yes I'd agree. Unfortunely my average gig client is far less than your example. Yet its those small fill in jobs overall that keeps my ship afloat. So from time to time I do require connects here and there to fill the gaps. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS