Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes another Connect post.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
21 of 28

Russell T wrote:

Oh have come to expect attacks on this forum wouldn't have expected anything less, no worries.  

Huh? Who attacked you?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
22 of 28

Russell T wrote:

Oh have come to expect attacks on this forum wouldn't have expected anything less, no worries.  

I am glad you don't need connects to garner new clients. Rest assured your situation is few and far between in this business. So kudos to you. 

The changes to the platform in general over the years has chipped away at its value proposition to me as a freelancer. The connect fee is just the final straw I suppose. It is what it is. 

good grief, bro. Nobody attact you jeez.

I don't even think your idea is bad. I just think people who make weekly income from Upwork don't need connects. They probably get invited to lots of things and have plenty.

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
23 of 28

Russell,

I think most people have just tried to offer some constructive help or advice. I certainly didnt mean to come across like i thought your idea was dumb - (for me free connects would come in very handy) BUT, looking at the bigger picture, your original post insinuated that you were not happy with the system as it is and cant/wont carry on with it. 

Whilst your idea is certainly not a dumb idea, it is not likely to happen (in the immediate future anyway) as such it seemed more use to try and offer advice that might help you look at the current situation in a different light.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
24 of 28

Russell T wrote:

You all have it figured out so well. Sorry it was a dumb idea to offer such a suggestion as incentive to do more work on the platform. Shhh what was I thinking. 

I think the issue is that free connects aren't likely to be an incentive to freelancers who are earning the kind of money Upwork would want to incentivize. I don't know what the floor for that would be, but I'm sure it's in the thousands per month. If a freelancer is making, say, $5,000/month on Upwork, then spending even $50-100 on connects if it were necessary wouldn't be a deterrent.

Kaitlyn S Member Since: Oct 8, 2019
25 of 28

I definitely agree with you that it's a bummer. I just started really using Upwork so things wouldn't be so tight at home. 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
26 of 28

Russell, I'm late to the party but if Upwork wants to give me free connects, I won't turn them down. I still have 76 free connects that rolled over, but once they're gone, I guess I'll buy a few grudgingly. Most of my work currently recently has come by way of invites and existing clients, so I'm making the connects stretch.

27 of 28

Interesting discussion.

Nice to see John K, Petra, Jennifer M, and Russel T still around.

Looks like everybody except Petra and John changed their profile photos though.

I wonder how many of the old guard are still on UpWork.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
28 of 28

I've been earning a little over $700 a month lately, and despite invitations and repeat clients, I still burn through connects. Extrapolating from only two months, I'm spending somewhere near the level of the cost for Plus membership. That said, I'm also not seeing any incentive in free connects, and might be doing more focused and targeted bidding because of connects cost. I'm here for the money, and if I have to invest a reasonably predictable amount each month to get it, I'm fine with that.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS