cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yo Upwork Do this : We need a Paused contract penalities on Clients.

linfographiste
Othman C Member Since: Feb 18, 2016
1 of 5

Hi all,

Many clients forget or ignore closing the finished contracts despite the desperate tries from a lot of freelancers like me... so what i suggest is, Upwork do a fixed Weekly penality on all paused contracts...

Lets say, 2 weekly USD per paused contract, Upwork, gets the same % (20%, 10% or 5%) and the freelancer take the rest.

like this Upwork will fight this behaviour and the freelancers won't see their JSS scores drop down because of unresponsive clients...

What do you think?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

I think you need to manage your contracts in such a way that contracts don't pause long term.

You can do what you suggest all by yourself: Tell clients from the outset that you require contracts to be ended when the work is done, and that on any contracts that go idle you will log 10 minutes every 30 days to write to them to remind them of the idle contract.

If they are fine with that, do so, and the contract never goes "inactive" and never gets auto-paused.

If they are not OK with this they are welcome to end the contract once the work is done.

Don't expect Upwork to do your contract- and client-managment for you.

timsmith99
Community Leader
Timothy S Member Since: Oct 19, 2016
3 of 5

Othman,

I doubt a policy like this will be implemented. As a freelancer on Upwork, managing projects and clients is part of what I signed up for.

One thing I find that works very well is to send a message to clients I haven't heard from when there has not been activity on the job for about two weeks. That way, when I contact them the second time, I have a bit more time to wait before closing a contract myself so it doesn't become stale and start counting against my JSS.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 5

There is more to being a successful freelancer on Upwork than just winning a job and delivering the finished product. Client and contract management is an important skill for all freelancers. It starts before you even bid on a job (does the client have a great history of feedback, both given and received) and doesn't end after you have delivered the finished product.

lairdpeter424
Community Leader
Pete L Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
5 of 5

I am not sure how much this affects the freelancer.

I had 2 paused contracts due to duration, this is purely as the clients only use me and don't have other tasks outisde of my skill set. This didnt affect my JSS, maybe because i had completed 5* work and the JSS didn't budge.

Some clients can be a little scatty, some are not busy enough and the ease of messaging, agreeing the task and unpausing is simple, why don't we look at no penalty for paused hourly contracts? That way freelancers can't bill against a client, but the client can easily revisit and get going without having to setup contracts etc.

For scatty clients a quick message normally does the trick.

For bad clients nothing will work, we just have to get better at researching the clients history prior to accepting the offer and see if they have a lot of 'no feedbacks' for their previous freelancers.

Pete

Living the dream

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS