cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can not issue a refund after 180 days have passed.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mohammad Iqbal A Member Since: Mar 26, 2012
1 of 16

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
2 of 16

You are not allowed to post this type of communication on the forum. These things should be discussed with the Support team through your ticket. If you want to discuss it on the forum you can tell you story without providing these type of details.

By the way, who asks a refund of $1? I would suggest you forget about the refund as it will influence your JS and from the details you have provided the client will probably leave a bad feedback. So refund is the last thing you need.

Edited to add:

Refunding the money will not increase your JS, it will actually decrease it. The only thing the refund can do is remove the public feedback from your profile, but the private feedback will remain. I can’t see a way for getting out of this situation unharmed.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
3 of 16
As I said yesterday in another post, this subversion of the system is one of the main reasons we have the ill-fated JS now.

As Aleksandra said, refunding will only cause more harm. Also I do not think a public review can be left for $1.

Furthermore, the truth is that your profile shows consistent poor performance going years back. That is what needs to be addressed.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
4 of 16

Setu,

I think it was mentioned that even a $1 transaction will allow the client to leave public feedback (Although the

discussion might have been exactly what you are clamming so it would be good if the mods can confirm this)

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 16

Hi Mohammad Iqbal,

It is correct, you will not be able to issue a refund more than 180 days after the contract was closed.

Note that I had to remove the content of private communication from your forum post. Feel free to edit it and provide the summary of what happened without quoting private emails.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 16

Who refunds after 180 days? Tell the customer that the money is gone. Spent. Poof. Sayonara. No takey backsies. 

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
7 of 16

@Jennifer M wrote:

Who refunds after 180 days? Tell the customer that the money is gone. Spent. Poof. Sayonara. No takey backsies. 

Jennifer...he wanted to get rid of the bad feedback by refunding. !!!

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
8 of 16
@ Aleksandra,

Yes you are correct. It says less than $1.

"Our system builds your feedback score based on the ratings left by your clients and the size of those jobs. If your client did not rate you, or if the contract had a net value less than $1, it won't be counted."

https://support.upwork.com/entries/23121551-How-does-the-contract-feedback-system-work-
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 16

@Jean S wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

Jennifer...he wanted to get rid of the bad feedback by refunding. !!!

oh that's funny and sad at the same time. You'd think a customer who paid out a whopping $1 would cut the guy some slack and give him a good rating. jeez

Community Guru
10 of 16

Jennifer,

According to the details that were provided the client claims that the freelancer accepted a job he wasn’t qualified for. (Assuming the client was honest)

It doesn’t matter if it’s a $1 job or $100 job, the feedback should be in line with the performance of the freelancer.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS