🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » You cannot satisfy every client - what would ...
Page options
robin_hyman
Community Member

You cannot satisfy every client - what would you do?

This isn't my first (or last) rodeo. But every few months I get a very difficult client. Since it's been quiet... of course my time has come. 

A few months ago I started working with a wedding photographer to rewrite her site. She tells me she doesn't have a ton of business skills (red flag) and she's taking a business class. She also shares her target audience and shows me examples she likes. I give her my price (a little below her budget which I thought was high) and I tell her I give (1) round of review/feedback. 

Because of her limited business experience and obvious lack of marketing/copywriting knowledge, I write the first page and send it for review. She's confused and overwhelmed. So I take her through it on the phone. We have a great conversation and I make changes. She seems happy. 

I continue to write every page, sending each one individually for her to review, and at times have to explain further. But not on the phone as she doesn't answer calls at agreed-upon times. Whatever.

Once everything is complete, I upload it all via Upwork's submission tool. She approves. Yay!?

Weeks go by. She then contacts me. She doesn't know where to look for all the work I did. Upwork is too confusing for her. So I individually upload each landing page. She responds, "this is your presentation?" Was she expecting it on a horse and carriage? 

At her request, I remove all the comments and keep the headers/sub-headers she seemed to like (not my alternatives unless she didn't tell me which she liked best). 

A few weeks later I get a message. My website is almost done. I can't wait to share it with you! I'd like for you to review and make sure there are no typos. As this wasn't in our contract, I ignore it until she follows up with another note that the site is ready. I would of course review... but at a price. My time is worth something. At least, that was my plan.  

Today she follows up again. "I need to talk to you about this copy. Looks incomplete and I am not happy at all. I going to have to hire someone else to redo your work."  WHAT?!

I respond, "Hi XXX, Above you are very happy with the copy. What has changed? What's incomplete?"

So I ask you experienced freelancers: What would you do in this situation? 

Thank you in advance for your awesome advice! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Member

I think you've done it.

She may not respond, because what can she really say to that?

Or, she may come up with a bunch of complaints.

In that situation, I would politely tell her it was unfortunate that she hadn't taken the time to review the content before telling me she was happy with it and approving it, but the time for revision has passed. 

In the future, I would never, ever, ever, ever work with a client whose mental capacity was so dazzlingly limited that she was confused by a web page about her own business.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
lizablau
Community Member

She's complaining to you weeks after you turned in the work, so is the original contract closed or still open?   

Lisa B wrote:

She's complaining to you weeks after you turned in the work, so is the original contract closed or still open?   

Yes. The contract is still open, unfortunately. 

Robin:

This client needs you a lot more than you need her.

I think you should very clearly tell her what her options are, and let her choose what to do.

Preston H wrote:

Robin:

This client needs you a lot more than you need her.

I think you should very clearly tell her what her options are, and let her choose what to do.

This is good advice, Preston. I appreciate your response. But what are the options?

1) Sever ties and let her hire someone else. I can use my perk if her feedback is sub-par. 

2) Hear her out and see if I can rectify the situation.

Am I missing anything? 

re: "This is good advice, Preston. I appreciate your response. But what are the options?

1) Sever ties and let her hire someone else. I can use my perk if her feedback is sub-par.

2) Hear her out and see if I can rectify the situation."

Those are your options.

Tell her what her options are. Something like this:

"Tawny:

Thank you for your note.

If you do not have any additional work that you want me to work on right now, then you may close the current contract. If you want me to do additional work on this project, then you may choose either of the following options:

a) Close the current contract and create a new hourly contract.

b) Close the current contract and create a new fixed-price contract, with a single milestone task: Create new page that presents list of vendors: $150"

But only tell her options you are willing to live with. If you don't want to work for her at all, then don't offer to work for her using new contracts. You have the right to stop working for a client at any time.

If you simply want to end the contract, then go ahead and do so. You don't need to discuss that with her if you don't want to.

She wrote ""I need to talk to you about this copy. Looks incomplete and I am not happy at all. I going to have to hire someone else to redo your work."    

She previously told you she liked the copy.  And since she's not asking for your help, and is saying she's going to "hire someone else," I'd politely remind her that she previously said she was satisfied with your work, and then close the contract.  

Don't give her any options -- she has rudely stated that she's hiring somebody else to fix your work, so why offer to work for somebody like this again? 

Close the contract.  You can use your feedback removal perk, if need be.

tlsanders
Community Member

I think you've done it.

She may not respond, because what can she really say to that?

Or, she may come up with a bunch of complaints.

In that situation, I would politely tell her it was unfortunate that she hadn't taken the time to review the content before telling me she was happy with it and approving it, but the time for revision has passed. 

In the future, I would never, ever, ever, ever work with a client whose mental capacity was so dazzlingly limited that she was confused by a web page about her own business.

Yeah, that's why when I'm offered a contract, I always communicate with the client for many days before accepting (unless it's a rush job).  If I notice any wackiness or poor communication, I bail.  And it can be really, really subtle - but those are red flags to me. 

You are so right. Thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths