cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You do not meet all the client's preferred qualifications

Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
1 of 8

Yes. It's normal. But I don't think it would be normal to show up once a freelancer makes sure he meets all criteria. In this example, I was able to see only three criteria: English level, number of oDesk hours performed and JSS. 

However, upon clicking "Submit Proposal" i get thru just to see the orange box:

You do not meet all the client's preferred qualifications

You may still submit a proposal, but the client will see that the proposal does not meet the following criteria:

In this case, The missing criterion, which is not displayed on the job post's description page is an Upwork test I never took.

Browsing though many jobs just to see that we don't meet all these quantitative criteria aleady takes much time. And when we see a a job where all criteria appear to be met on the job description page, we still can't be sure.

And I know that I can still proceed. But, what to do when we don't want to deceive clients and waste connects on jobs where we have little chances to succeed.

All quantitative preferrences given by the client need to be displayed in one place - ideally in the job listings, but even if it's not available, it should appear straight after we click on a job posting. It would be even better if we can filter only job postings for which a freelancer meets ALL quantitative client preferences.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 8

When I was new, I routinely applied to jobs which qualifications, especially hours worked, that I didn't meet and I routinely got the jobs.  Go for it and have a killer proposal.

Jafar J Member Since: Feb 16, 2017
3 of 8

I have found the answer for this question. In my case, Upwork hours: 100 was highlighted, it means, a freelancer should have been billed for at least 100 hrs in Upwork. Other qualifications like Job success score, rising star talent are the honors we receive from Upwork on accomplishing a lot of projects successfully. These could be found usually in the proposal, where an exlacamation mark says "You do not meet this qualification".

So, there is no point in applying for the job because the client has already provided his needs and when they are not met, he/she will not hire us. Eventually, we will end up wasting our connects.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 8

@Jafar J wrote:

So, there is no point in applying for the job because the client has already provided his needs and when they are not met, he/she will not hire us. Eventually, we will end up wasting our connects.

A lot of us routinely apply for jobs where we do not meet all of the listed qualifications and get those jobs. 

Sometimes, the client just selects something like "90% JSS" or leaves the default box checked without really thinking it through and is happy to hire someone with an 88% JSS who has all of the right skills and experience.

Or, in my situation, sometimes a client has listed "100 hours," but sees that although I don't have a lot of Upwork hours, I have decades of relevant experience, so they feel confident moving forward.

If you think that you are truly a good fit for the job and have the relevant experience, I wouldn't let those qualifications stop you.

Ace Contributor
Erica G Member Since: Apr 24, 2017
5 of 8

Jafar, 

I throughly disagree with you. Each of my jobs since I've started on UpWork have been for qualifications I didn't have (90% success score, 100 UpWork hours) and I've gotten the job! Clients need freelancers who have the experience, that doesn't necessarily mean experience strictly on UpWork. It takes time to build up to that point and the clients are there to ensure we're able to do so. 

Dave S Member Since: Apr 21, 2017
6 of 8

Have to agree with Mary and Tiffany here. I see these simply as the preferences that they are and often apply anyway, especially when it's simply a difference in location. If the client thinks you're a good fit for a project, they're likely to give you the job irrespective of whether you meet their preferred qualifications.

Hasan J Member Since: Sep 19, 2019
7 of 8

When I am opening up the proposal page for the job, it is showing this notification. 

"You may still submit a proposal, but the client will see that the proposal does not meet the following criteria".

Why is that so, Can someone guide me regarding the issue?

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
8 of 8

It might as well say, "Today is Tuesday".

Although both are true, they often bear little relation to whether or not your proposal will be accepted. If you can demonstrate you have the required skills, send a proposal anyway.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS