Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Craziest application!

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
1 of 11

Hello!

I'm always trying to make my applications stand out above the crowd, and in doing so, I sometimes say some crazy stuff! 

I want to know a line, a phrase or a paragraph you've used in a job application which was crazy, bold and risky, but landed the job!

Mine is:

"I'm like a can of Red Bull high on ecstasy, meth and cocaine when it comes to writing!"

Please share yours!

Lyam

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 11

That's classified info haha!

I can post it here but then I'll have to kill you (and every other word nerd freelancer who reads it) Smiley Tongue

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
3 of 11

Judging by your post Dianne, do your applications involve blackmail or threats!?

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
4 of 11

How can you ask that? Everyone here can see my personality is as sweet as a kitty cat's purr...haha!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Nurul A Member Since: Dec 12, 2014
5 of 11

nice

Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
6 of 11

Awww, I love lil' kittens.

Community Guru
7 of 11

I'm seeing 3 different contributors and no answers. Come on guys! I need ideas!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 11

Lyam is asking for ideas. My idea is a large web blanket.

Lyam, I know you mean well, but I don't think most oDesk contractors want to go anywhere near this.

From "Freelancer Policies":

"The following should not be included in a job application:

- Any offer of illegal activity or services

- Content that is offensive or contains false or defamatory remarks."

I know you're just using hyperbole when your use a job application referring to ecstasy, meth and cocaine, but this is exactly the opposite of the image most of us want to convey. There is a specialized niche of clients hiring creative writiers such as yourself for whom this apparently is effective. But for the most part, that's simply not going to help.

Without the in-person physical nuance that can convey the humorous intent of such a job application, there is simply too much risk of the meaning being misunderstood. I apply for jobs with people from a wide array of cultural and linguistic backgrounds. Some of my best clients have limited English proficiency. Who knows what such clients might think of these "crazy" job application ideas.

Your post might be better positioned were it prefaced with the disclaimer: "for creative writing contractors only".

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
9 of 11

I recently applied to a job looking for an editor for a "humorous" self-help book. The client specified how s/he wanted to be convinced why I was worthy of hire. Along with my usual (customised) blurb, I explained that I guess he was a northern Englishman, and that his sense of humour was very much like my own - down to earth, benignly provocative, and dry as Gandhi's flip-flops.

And guess what??

S/he's interviewing three other people   Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
10 of 11

Hi Lyam --> Sometimes, I would test a one-liner cover letter just for the heck of it and surprisingly, it doesn't only get me the response in less than an hour; it also gets me hired without an interview.  In my experience, when I write 'CRAZY' in my one liner-- I've got positive responses.  Sometimes, I would even write my cover letter in a neat mathematical formula that sums up what I can do Cat Embarassed

Ok, there's one crazy application I've sent to this client who owns a site selling stuff all centered around one thing: a$$.  So, my cover letter reads--->

"Hey (name), if you need a strategy that will produce a$$tounding results, call me."

Can't stop laughin'... client loved it too... 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS