Did you mean: 

Re: Your favorite weapons of choice

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
31 of 58

@Santiago G wrote:

@ Krisztina and Pandora

Leave the llamas alone!! The part to winamp that caught attention around here is the vocal remover. Had to teach several people how to setup and use that several years ago. So instead of a cheesy sounding audio normally found in kareoke songs, the original song could be used.

Needless to say, they're are all kareoke fans. Oddly enough, none of them could sing well !! Smiley LOL  I'm not sure if that thing is still available or working but at the time, it did provide some fun and is still very interesting.

I didn't even know it had a vocal remover. Does it mean I can make my own instrumentals? Tell me more!

As for karaoke, the main prerequisite is not being able to sing..at all..it seems. I don't quite get the fascination with off beat and off key singing, but hey, to each their own. I'd rather listen to the instrumental... or traffic.. or white noise. Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
32 of 58

@Santiago G wrote:

Seems many of us have several..... dozen..... email accounts. Truth is, gaming addicts are well known to have many. I've encountered a few that have 80+ email accounts. All in use just for their games.

I'd really like to add AppMethod to my list. That should prove to be some fun!!

Wow. I have 1 gmail for all my gaming. Anda FB account, just to get free stuff.

Might I ask why anyone would need 1 email addy per game? That seems nuts.

Not to mention, it's not nearly as easy to set up new email accounts with Google anymore.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
33 of 58

Great post Krisztina, and a catchy title: "Your favorite weapons of choice." Thanks for the mention and link.

I am seeing a lot of apps that I use or have used in the past. Also, a lot of interesting apps I had not known about. They all have their pros and cons, and I have spent numerous hours exploring apps for use as a freelancer -- haven't we all.

GM (and maybe others) mentioned Evernote. With all of the CRMs and project management apps out there to choose from, back when I had numerous clients I found Evernote to be the most universal app to use; easy to learn, easy to use, and cheap!

As I am nearing early retirement, I have downsized and will continue to work for only two or three clients (hopefully, long-term clients). Working via oDesk would be my first and best choice. Like I've said numerous times, I like the fact that oDesk does the bulk of my bookkeeping and accounting tasks and reports. Now, what am I going to do with all of that software I have collected over the years...not much, I guess!

Has anyone ever tried some of the off-the-shelf solutions for freelancers? One that I used to use is "Freelance Cockpit 2 - Project Management" (my favorite) http://codecanyon.net/item/freelance-cockpit-2-project-management/4203727 (It's a website app; very easy to customize for your own use). Another one that worked well for me is the project management add-on for WHMCS. Again, they all have their pros and cons.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
34 of 58

@ Krisztina

You have it right on both counts. The initial idea behind it was to have an instrumental of the original song. Using it for kareoke purposes also became possible.

Improving someones' singing voice...... well, miracles were not included in the package!! In comparisons to what I have heard over the years for singing voices, I'd rather listen my brand new car being driven by a drunken moose!!

Honestly, it was very interesting how that plug-in managed to remove vocals from a song and keep background vocals and/or paired vocals at the same time. Take the example with Linkin Park. Two singers but the plug-in managed to remove only 1 singers' voice.

@ Pandora

Google isn't the only way to go!!  As long as you have an email address not in use, you can keep using it for whatever game / facebook accounts you like.

The gaming addicts like myself setup multiple accounts for multiple reasons. Selling game accounts, helper accounts, and other "tricks of the trade". Many of the bigger games require 1 email address for an account. For example, Dragon Nest SEA. You not only need 1 email address for an account, you also need unique 1 ID (driver's license, postal ID, etc). Someone can setup their main account and use it to boost other accounts they make to sell.

With something like Ran Online, you need 1 email address per account. Anyone can go completely bonkers with that. The daily quests alone can skyrocket beyond belief.

In the case of facebook games, having many email addresses produces many helper accounts. No more waiting for someone to help or visit. And along with it, all the gift sending you'd ever want is included.

In one such case, my own sister was asked how she got so many things in her Farmville game despite the person asking having VASTLY more neighbors. Which was a jaw dropping amount which caused the question. It was because of my accounts!!

Another case is right here on oDesk. I have seen a number of jobs posted where someone was looking for mods/admins for their facebook, twitter, etc pages. It comes in nicely for a reference. And the other job posts looking to hire people to advertise on those things for them. Gaming addicts with many accounts will definately have a massive advantage over others.

I actually recommended this to several who asked me about it and included the details about looking for gaming addicts in an article I wrote for a client here!!

All in all, the potential for money making alone is really out there. And yes, it can be fun too!! Still seem nuts?!! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
35 of 58

@Santiago G wrote:

@ @ Pandora

Google isn't the only way to go!!  As long as you have an email address not in use, you can keep using it for whatever game / facebook accounts you like.

The gaming addicts like myself setup multiple accounts for multiple reasons. Selling game accounts, helper accounts, and other "tricks of the trade". Many of the bigger games require 1 email address for an account. For example, Dragon Nest SEA. You not only need 1 email address for an account, you also need unique 1 ID (driver's license, postal ID, etc). Someone can setup their main account and use it to boost other accounts they make to sell.

With something like Ran Online, you need 1 email address per account. Anyone can go completely bonkers with that. The daily quests alone can skyrocket beyond belief.

In the case of facebook games, having many email addresses produces many helper accounts. No more waiting for someone to help or visit. And along with it, all the gift sending you'd ever want is included.

In one such case, my own sister was asked how she got so many things in her Farmville game despite the person asking having VASTLY more neighbors. Which was a jaw dropping amount which caused the question. It was because of my accounts!!

Another case is right here on oDesk. I have seen a number of jobs posted where someone was looking for mods/admins for their facebook, twitter, etc pages. It comes in nicely for a reference. And the other job posts looking to hire people to advertise on those things for them. Gaming addicts with many accounts will definately have a massive advantage over others.

I actually recommended this to several who asked me about it and included the details about looking for gaming addicts in an article I wrote for a client here!!

All in all, the potential for money making alone is really out there. And yes, it can be fun too!! Still seem nuts?!! Smiley Happy

I begin to see. Heh. And I can say 1), I'm not that sort of gamer. 2) I don't use social media any more then I have to, personally. But I appreciate the reply. I've learned some new things by reading it.
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
36 of 58

For Web development, I'm still using WampDeveloper Pro....

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Robert O Member Since: Apr 4, 2015
37 of 58

I keep going back to OneNote.  I have tabs set up for my clients, my blog, my college courses, etc.  I espesially like it for quick screen clips, and for creating "To Do" lists with checkboxes.

I also use MP3 Skype recorder as a free app to record Skype phone calls with my clients (saves haing to take notes, and I suppose it could come in handy if there was ever a disagreement about what we discussed -- though thank goodness I've never run into that situation yet).  Of course, you have to know the laws about recording phone calls in your state.  Usually, I simplly tell my clients, "hey, do you mind if I record this so I can listen to it later and update my notes?"

Highlighted
Community Guru
38 of 58

@Robert O wrote:

I keep going back to OneNote.  I have tabs set up for my clients, my blog, my college courses, etc.  I espesially like it for quick screen clips, and for creating "To Do" lists with checkboxes.

I also use MP3 Skype recorder as a free app to record Skype phone calls with my clients (saves haing to take notes, and I suppose it could come in handy if there was ever a disagreement about what we discussed -- though thank goodness I've never run into that situation yet).  Of course, you have to know the laws about recording phone calls in your state.  Usually, I simplly tell my clients, "hey, do you mind if I record this so I can listen to it later and update my notes?"

Yes! The MP3 Skype recorder comes in very handy for loooong internal status and update calls that are jam-packed with information.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
39 of 58

I am really loving this thread, thanks to all that shared thus far! Please keep them coming!

Highlighted
Community Guru
40 of 58

@All in this thread....

This is proving to be a nice thread, and I hope more folks come in and join the conversation. I'm always looking for new app toys. The Onenote thing looks interesting, and as soon as I become less crazy busy, I'm going to look at it.

@Krisztina

If you decide to play with Rainmeter and need help, you can PM me here (I hope) and I'll help you out.

@Santiago

A drunken moose driving a car! Oh my, what a picture. Heh.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS