🐈 Community
kugrin

Your favorite weapons of choice

Ronald T in this thread inspired me to do a post on tools and programs. I learned about three seemingly really cool solutions I never heard of. Which tools are you using frequently and why do you like them? Some of mine are below (all for Windows).

Time and project management: Toggl. They have a freemium model and I love how easy and nonintrusive it is to use and how the visualize the different projects/time spent.

Conference bridge and screensharing: Blue Jeans and join.me. I like join.me because it's very low cost and quick to set up (no lengthy and constant updates needed and I can set up a session in less than 30 seconds). I don't personally pay for Blue Jeans but get it through work and like it because it's very reliable and never let me down on audio quality or availability throughout 100s of conference calls.

Gmails and Salesforce.com: I LOVE Cirrus Insight. Pause. It's got to be one of the most innovative and customer friendly companies out there. They're constantly rolling out cool new features (without bugs! :)), and if there ever is an issue, they resolve it within hours. For mass Salesforce data manipulation, uploads, etc. I use the Excel Enabler. It's not the prettiest or most intuitive tool out there, but it must've saved me 1000s of hours by now.

Media: For all my video watching needs, I use VLC media player. Night and day difference to clunky, slow, and resource-intense Windows Media Player. For images, I've been hooked on IrfanViewer since the 90s, and it's one of the first things I download after a fresh Windows installation. 

Text: Notepad++. It's free, lightweight, with tons of functionality.

Your turn!

57 REPLIES 57
iaabraham

I am so unadventurous when it comes to online tools/software/apps. All I use is MS Word, Google Docs, and gmail (for work). Plus an actual (offline) diary for any notes Smiley Sad

pandoraharper

@Krisztina

Nice idea and thanks for sharing 🙂

Notepad++  - I second this. It's one heck of an awesome replacement for Windows Notepad. I have a special .txt file I use all day, every day, to handle temporary stuff that doesn't yet have a home.

Training / Support / Meetings - Teamviewer and Skype. I can record both for later usage.

Big Group Meetings - GoToMeeting (Clients account) - Not just for webinars!. Recent improvements have really impressed me. It's not free, but it does what it's supposed to, and more.

Video Tutorials - Screencast O Matic - A very cheap video recording tool that produces much clearer video then Camtasia. Glad I switched.

Email in One - Mozilla Thunderbird - Awesome email app for mulitple client / personal email account management. Handles most popular email protocols and services including Imap, Pop, Gmail, Yahoo and more. Can integrate with Google Calender.

Digital Documents - MS Office, Google Apps, Google Drive, Dropbox

Email Notification / IM - Trillian - Plug in your Yahoo, MSN, AOL, Google IM accounts and email accounts. Used for client  / personal IM and lots of email notifications.

Desktop Widgets - Rainmeter - lots of things, including a time-zone widget that displays the time in several countries where team members are located. Note: personal configuration of Rainmeter widgets requires basic skill with coding.

Images - Photoshop and Illustrator CS4. Don't use it a lot for clients, but as a personal tool for all sorts of things, it rocks. I'm also a hobby designer of art and desktop widget themes. I've had Photoshop for more then a decade and can zip in and do quick stuff real fast. Oh, and I have WAY too many fonts.

garnorm

Great thread Krisztina, thanks for sharing!

Some of us here are fans of Evernote. Admittedly, I often fall back to the old school paper notebook, but there are some cool features with Evernote such as the sync with mobile, etc.

lenaellis
Staff
Staff

This is really great information!

I am a fan of MindMeister, as a great collaboration tool for brainstorming and presentations.  Also Remember the Milk, to help with organization and task-lists, which you can sync with your phone, email and with Evernote.

Untitled

Lena, nice "recipe" for a mix of solutions. Have you ever tried XMind?

Ron aka LanWanMan
suznee

I have a huge list of programs I use, but some of my favorite are:

Skype and Google Voice for calls, and video conferencing.

Asana and Mavinlink for Project Management

Just learning Mavinlink and it has a bunch of cool stuff.

Resophnotes for my note stuff which intergrates with Simplenotes online, so I can access my notes on my phone, tablet or computer no  matter when I am. It nicely syncs.

Dropbox for using with customers who have big files

Google Docs of course 

Gmail

Excel (Microsoft Office)

Freshbooks for bookkeeping etc.

Picasa 3 for editing and optimizing images for websites

Keypass for a password keeper

ScreenRecorder - For making desktop videos. It works quite well and it is free.

Want to me continue? 🙂

@Suzanne N wrote:

Just learning Mavinlink and it has a bunch of cool stuff....

Suzanne, I've been stuck setting up Asana for a sorta new client (6 months isn't really new, but...). The management team loves it. Personally, I'm not super thrilled, but that's no suprise.

What might you be able to tell me about Mavenlink that would make it worth my time to add as a recomendation for Project Management tools, specifically Internet Marketing Agency clients?

@Pandora H wrote:

@Suzanne N wrote:

Just learning Mavinlink and it has a bunch of cool stuff....

Suzanne, I've been stuck setting up Asana for a sorta new client (6 months isn't really new, but...). The management team loves it. Personally, I'm not super thrilled, but that's no suprise.

What might you be able to tell me about Mavenlink that would make it worth my time to add as a recomendation for Project Management tools, specifically Internet Marketing Agency clients?

Pandora,

I am still learning my way around Mavenlink, but it has quite a bit of integration for Google, Quickbooks and other programs such as Zendesk and my client is real excited about it has Gantt charts, It is fairly easy to learn, mails tasks like most project management software, It has time tracking and many other features. I suggest you just look up reviews on it and take a look at it. As I get better with it I can give you more info.

johntatlock

Another Notepad++ fan here. An endlessly useful tool.

@John T wrote:

Another Notepad++ fan here. An endlessly useful tool.

Someone port it to mac, please. In its absence I use Komodo edit, which gets the job done. 

Yep, another Notepad++ fan here too!

Ron aka LanWanMan
sivavranagaro

I use only Gmail Notifier.

Edit: I downloaded Notepad ++ on Monday. Tried to learn web development. HTML tags appear much better than before.

Edit #2: Oh, yes. Skype and Google Drive, too.

@Isabelle - sometimes less is more! I forgot to mention that I am an avid user of Google Apps as well

@Pandora - I've been looking for a good screen recorder, I'll check out Screencast O matic!

@Garnor - I am a big fan of paper and take all my call notes by hand because I find it rude to be typing while someone is speaking. I then cover my notes in doodles, and whatever remained readable are my main call take aways. Weird process that works surprisingly well!

@Lena - good call on Remember the Milk! I've been using it extensively and then somehow forgot all about it.

@Suzanne - yes!

@Vesna - is the Gmail notifier still around? The tool told me it was being discontinued. I might check out Thunderbird because I have too many email accounts for work

Thanks to all that contributed. Please keep them coming!

@Krisztina U wrote:

@Pandora - I've been looking for a good screen recorder, I'll check out Screencast O matic!

It can be a little tricky to get working, but it's pretty great for making desktop training videos. Much cleaner results then Camtasia. I use it to record GoToMeeting  and other sorts of webinars too. Not all apps out there can do that, and thats what I got Screencast for orginally.

Krisztina, Re.: your mention of "paper." For digital notes, what about Microsoft OneNote for MS Office users?

Ron aka LanWanMan

@Ronald T wrote:

Krisztina, Re.: your mention of "paper." For digital notes, what about Microsoft OneNote for MS Office users?

I love technology but I am terrible at taking notes on my computer. I have OneNote, but can't say I ever got into it. I tried to get into a few times, mainly because the oDesk tracker keeps going on idle on calls where I take paper notes, or shows very low activity in my work diary, but I'll just have to live it. I find it very disruptive to hear someone typing while I am speaking, and I use a form of shorthand (that consists of abbreviations, doodling and a lot of arrows), that allows me to take notes much faster than a keyboard would (and I am a fairly fast typer).

ago_g

Lets see, frequently used tools....

Air conditioner to prevent PC / laptop BBQ'ing because it's hot enough here to make the sun say "ouch.... hey, cool it".

Ran Online PH server. Rage.

Other Ran Online private servers.

Helix Cabal and other Cabal private servers and the official Cabal PH server.

Dragon Nest SEA

DOTA 2

Clash of Clans

^Yes, I know those are games. Sure enough, there's multiple ways for all of them to put some coin in the pocket. So a job it is!! Some make a nice living from even one of those games alone. No, it's not the developer(s), handlers / publisher(s)!! They do as well, but the players do it too!!

Android tablet and 2 Android phones. Games, various testing, and a very fancy calculator.

Screen recording.....CamStudio. Nice for making video tutorials once you get it working properly!!

Media..... Klite Codec Mega pack + Real Alternative. Winamp. Youtube.... and whatever else comes in handy.

Various graphics applications. I can't draw too well but I can still swing enough to get by and get things done!!

Notepad. It's surprising how something as simple as Notepad can still get the job done!!

VB6 and other IDEs. Some older stuff, some newer stuff, but they all work.

Oh yeah..... the usual email stuff, word processors, a dropbox, skype, and document + other file converters.

^This is the short list just to be quick about it.

@Santiago G wrote:

Winamp. 

Winamp, it really kicks the llama's a$$! I use that too and forgot to list it. 🙂 For the rest of your list, wow, sounds like a lot of machinery! 🙂 

@Krisztina U wrote:
Winamp, it really kicks the llama's a$$! I use that too and forgot to list it. 🙂 For the rest of your list, wow, sounds like a lot of machinery! 🙂 

LOL. I use Winamp to, though I don't always have time to listen these days. Plus, I have a Rainmeter widget that shows me whats playing, so that I don't have to maximize Winamp. I've never really ever used any other mp3 player app. And of course, I got a nice clean skin for it.

@Pandora H wrote:

@Krisztina U wrote:

LOL. I use Winamp to, though I don't always have time to listen these days. Plus, I have a Rainmeter widget that shows me whats playing, so that I don't have to maximize Winamp. I've never really ever used any other mp3 player app. And of course, I got a nice clean skin for it.

That slogan automatically plays after installing and it burned itself into my brain. I haven't used it in a while either, but when I do, only on the classic Winamp skin. It's a blast from the past for me and is right there with dial up modems. The Rainmeter thingie looks intriguing. Does it eat up a lot of resources?  

@Krisztina U wrote:

That slogan automatically plays after installing and it burned itself into my brain. I haven't used it in a while either, but when I do, only on the classic Winamp skin. It's a blast from the past for me and is right there with dial up modems. The Rainmeter thingie looks intriguing. Does it eat up a lot of resources?  

No, and that is the whole point of Rainmeter. If you had over to this URL: http://indigo-glow.deviantart.com/art/A-Future-Age-Rainmeter-309791828

That is a themed Rainmeter desktop I made a few years ago. The entire thing, and some of it was animated, still allowed an old XP box with 4 gigs ram to run games, photoshop, tons of browser tabs, etc. On my current box (running some one elses set of Rainmeter widgets), it takes up about 1-3 percent of my ram and cpu, depending on what it's doing.

Rainmeter, years ago, was developed by a small team to allow hardcore computer users to create widgets that showed the hardware state of their computer on their desktop. It's moved beyond that, obviously.

The files themselves: the actual app, a few plugins that interact with Windows and common apps (such as Winamp) and then the actual widget files, which are small files that can be edited in (hahaha) Notepad++, and image files.

The intial learning curve isn't as bad as say, 3DStudio Max, which I gave up on after a year and a half. If you can handle html and css, you can handle the code that Rainmeter uses.

Devient Art has a huge area just for Rainmeter: http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/customization/skins/sysmonitor/rainmeter/

I have a large collection of DA user created Skins and Themes: http://indigo-glow.deviantart.com/favourites/47229326/Customization-Rainmeter

I'm currently using this particular theme: http://vclouds.deviantart.com/art/Glasses-313182310

And finally, Rainmeter itself: http://rainmeter.net/ (Install, user forum (REALLY nice folks btw, and helpful too), along with Guides (good, well written).

maltech

Notepad++ is a great tool, I love how it can be configured how you like for colors etc too, it does a whole lot for a free program.

I am a huge fan of Dreamweaver myself, mainly because I have been using it since way back when it was a macromedia program, and I am just used to it. I also like how I can set up to automatically save files to server and run a testing environment inside it. Again a lot of it has to do with it being familiar to me however.

One of the newer ones that I really like is Brackets which can be found on github, it is nice because the changes you make sync live instantly. It does not have as many features and is not as familiar to me as Dreamweaver but people should check it out, keep an eye on it!

Charles, that explains your expertise i.e., Dreamweaver. I've only gone as far as CS6 due to the cost, and I still have Macromedia on an old machine. Are your using Dreamweaver 8?

Ron aka LanWanMan
suznee

Forgot who said they had a ton of email accounts, but Google is great for forwarding all your mail to. I use Google's own notifier it works fine, But I have all my emails forwarded to Google and get all my mail in one place. I just set up separate labels so everything is nice and neat.

I tried a program awhile back for Google Activeinbox I really liked but haven't had time to get around to the paid version which organizes your mailbox.

I am pretty good at organizing my own mailbox, but it had some features that were quite nice. 

Slack for communicating real time, what is neat about Slack is you can search it later and it saves everything in one place. So if you are wanting to remember something you had a chat about you can search to find it.

WIll add some more things on here later time to start my day.

Trillian is something I have used for a long long time for communication. You can have 1 instant messanger window that handles all of your:

Yahoo IM,

AIM,

SKYPE,

Google Talk,

IRC

Emails

Facebook, twitter, Foursquare, LinkedIn, Myspace 

etc etc etc

It is nice to have all of that stuff filtered through one system when you are working with hundreds of clients from around the world that will not all conform to one communication system.

@Charles C wrote:

Trillian is something I have used for a long long time for communication. You can have 1 instant messanger window that handles all of your:

It is nice to have all of that stuff filtered through one system when you are working with hundreds of clients from around the world that will not all conform to one communication system.

Another win for Trillian, yes! Years and years (10+) I got sick of all the spam "make me your friend" messages coming from Yahoo Messenger. I switched to Trillian, and have never looked back.

@Suzanne N wrote:

Forgot who said they had a ton of email accounts, but Google is great for forwarding all your mail to. I use Google's own notifier it works fine, But I have all my emails forwarded to Google and get all my mail in one place. I just set up separate labels so everything is nice and neat.

I tried a program awhile back for Google Activeinbox I really liked but haven't had time to get around to the paid version which organizes your mailbox.

I am pretty good at organizing my own mailbox, but it had some features that were quite nice. 

Slack for communicating real time, what is neat about Slack is you can search it later and it saves everything in one place. So if you are wanting to remember something you had a chat about you can search to find it.

WIll add some more things on here later time to start my day.

Thunderbrird is especially nice when your monitoring Client email accounts. I've had lots of clients who set up a "their company" email for me, and with a scan few add-ons I can see all the accounts I'm monitoring, in the order I set them to display in. Right now I am monitoring 3 active client accounts, 1 legacy client account, my "work" gmail, and about 6 other gmails I have set up. My personal gmail gets 0 spam, and I don't use it all that much.

Plus, the Mozilla group belives in frequent updates. It's a solid app and the add-on community is large. It's overkill however, if you don't need to activaly monitor more then a few accounts. I use the Google Calender thing a lot too, as it just opens up in a tab in Thunderbird, and shows me all my clients schedules (except 1, who uses Office 365).

Pandora wrote in part: "Thunderbrird is especially nice when your monitoring Client email accounts." That's for certain. especially when doing off-site SEO and related work for clients.

Ron aka LanWanMan
ago_g

@ Krisztina and Pandora

Leave the llamas alone!! The part to winamp that caught attention around here is the vocal remover. Had to teach several people how to setup and use that several years ago. So instead of a cheesy sounding audio normally found in kareoke songs, the original song could be used.

Needless to say, they're are all kareoke fans. Oddly enough, none of them could sing well !! Smiley LOL  I'm not sure if that thing is still available or working but at the time, it did provide some fun and is still very interesting.

@ Suzanne

Seems many of us have several..... dozen..... email accounts. Truth is, gaming addicts are well known to have many. I've encountered a few that have 80+ email accounts. All in use just for their games.

I'd really like to add AppMethod to my list. That should prove to be some fun!!

@Santiago G wrote:

@ Krisztina and Pandora

Leave the llamas alone!! The part to winamp that caught attention around here is the vocal remover. Had to teach several people how to setup and use that several years ago. So instead of a cheesy sounding audio normally found in kareoke songs, the original song could be used.

Needless to say, they're are all kareoke fans. Oddly enough, none of them could sing well !! Smiley LOL  I'm not sure if that thing is still available or working but at the time, it did provide some fun and is still very interesting.

I didn't even know it had a vocal remover. Does it mean I can make my own instrumentals? Tell me more!

As for karaoke, the main prerequisite is not being able to sing..at all..it seems. I don't quite get the fascination with off beat and off key singing, but hey, to each their own. I'd rather listen to the instrumental... or traffic.. or white noise. 😄

@Santiago G wrote:

Seems many of us have several..... dozen..... email accounts. Truth is, gaming addicts are well known to have many. I've encountered a few that have 80+ email accounts. All in use just for their games.

I'd really like to add AppMethod to my list. That should prove to be some fun!!

Wow. I have 1 gmail for all my gaming. Anda FB account, just to get free stuff.

Might I ask why anyone would need 1 email addy per game? That seems nuts.

Not to mention, it's not nearly as easy to set up new email accounts with Google anymore.

lanwanman

Great post Krisztina, and a catchy title: "Your favorite weapons of choice." Thanks for the mention and link.

I am seeing a lot of apps that I use or have used in the past. Also, a lot of interesting apps I had not known about. They all have their pros and cons, and I have spent numerous hours exploring apps for use as a freelancer -- haven't we all.

GM (and maybe others) mentioned Evernote. With all of the CRMs and project management apps out there to choose from, back when I had numerous clients I found Evernote to be the most universal app to use; easy to learn, easy to use, and cheap!

As I am nearing early retirement, I have downsized and will continue to work for only two or three clients (hopefully, long-term clients). Working via oDesk would be my first and best choice. Like I've said numerous times, I like the fact that oDesk does the bulk of my bookkeeping and accounting tasks and reports. Now, what am I going to do with all of that software I have collected over the years...not much, I guess!

Has anyone ever tried some of the off-the-shelf solutions for freelancers? One that I used to use is "Freelance Cockpit 2 - Project Management" (my favorite) http://codecanyon.net/item/freelance-cockpit-2-project-management/4203727 (It's a website app; very easy to customize for your own use). Another one that worked well for me is the project management add-on for WHMCS. Again, they all have their pros and cons.

Ron aka LanWanMan
ago_g

@ Krisztina

You have it right on both counts. The initial idea behind it was to have an instrumental of the original song. Using it for kareoke purposes also became possible.

Improving someones' singing voice...... well, miracles were not included in the package!! In comparisons to what I have heard over the years for singing voices, I'd rather listen my brand new car being driven by a drunken moose!!

Honestly, it was very interesting how that plug-in managed to remove vocals from a song and keep background vocals and/or paired vocals at the same time. Take the example with Linkin Park. Two singers but the plug-in managed to remove only 1 singers' voice.

@ Pandora

Google isn't the only way to go!!  As long as you have an email address not in use, you can keep using it for whatever game / facebook accounts you like.

The gaming addicts like myself setup multiple accounts for multiple reasons. Selling game accounts, helper accounts, and other "tricks of the trade". Many of the bigger games require 1 email address for an account. For example, Dragon Nest SEA. You not only need 1 email address for an account, you also need unique 1 ID (driver's license, postal ID, etc). Someone can setup their main account and use it to boost other accounts they make to sell.

With something like Ran Online, you need 1 email address per account. Anyone can go completely bonkers with that. The daily quests alone can skyrocket beyond belief.

In the case of facebook games, having many email addresses produces many helper accounts. No more waiting for someone to help or visit. And along with it, all the gift sending you'd ever want is included.

In one such case, my own sister was asked how she got so many things in her Farmville game despite the person asking having VASTLY more neighbors. Which was a jaw dropping amount which caused the question. It was because of my accounts!!

Another case is right here on oDesk. I have seen a number of jobs posted where someone was looking for mods/admins for their facebook, twitter, etc pages. It comes in nicely for a reference. And the other job posts looking to hire people to advertise on those things for them. Gaming addicts with many accounts will definately have a massive advantage over others.

I actually recommended this to several who asked me about it and included the details about looking for gaming addicts in an article I wrote for a client here!!

All in all, the potential for money making alone is really out there. And yes, it can be fun too!! Still seem nuts?!! Smiley Happy

@Santiago G wrote:

@ @ Pandora

Google isn't the only way to go!!  As long as you have an email address not in use, you can keep using it for whatever game / facebook accounts you like.

The gaming addicts like myself setup multiple accounts for multiple reasons. Selling game accounts, helper accounts, and other "tricks of the trade". Many of the bigger games require 1 email address for an account. For example, Dragon Nest SEA. You not only need 1 email address for an account, you also need unique 1 ID (driver's license, postal ID, etc). Someone can setup their main account and use it to boost other accounts they make to sell.

With something like Ran Online, you need 1 email address per account. Anyone can go completely bonkers with that. The daily quests alone can skyrocket beyond belief.

In the case of facebook games, having many email addresses produces many helper accounts. No more waiting for someone to help or visit. And along with it, all the gift sending you'd ever want is included.

In one such case, my own sister was asked how she got so many things in her Farmville game despite the person asking having VASTLY more neighbors. Which was a jaw dropping amount which caused the question. It was because of my accounts!!

Another case is right here on oDesk. I have seen a number of jobs posted where someone was looking for mods/admins for their facebook, twitter, etc pages. It comes in nicely for a reference. And the other job posts looking to hire people to advertise on those things for them. Gaming addicts with many accounts will definately have a massive advantage over others.

I actually recommended this to several who asked me about it and included the details about looking for gaming addicts in an article I wrote for a client here!!

All in all, the potential for money making alone is really out there. And yes, it can be fun too!! Still seem nuts?!! Smiley Happy

I begin to see. Heh. And I can say 1), I'm not that sort of gamer. 2) I don't use social media any more then I have to, personally. But I appreciate the reply. I've learned some new things by reading it.
lanwanman

For Web development, I'm still using WampDeveloper Pro....

Ron aka LanWanMan
olson-robert

I keep going back to OneNote.  I have tabs set up for my clients, my blog, my college courses, etc.  I espesially like it for quick screen clips, and for creating "To Do" lists with checkboxes.

I also use MP3 Skype recorder as a free app to record Skype phone calls with my clients (saves haing to take notes, and I suppose it could come in handy if there was ever a disagreement about what we discussed -- though thank goodness I've never run into that situation yet).  Of course, you have to know the laws about recording phone calls in your state.  Usually, I simplly tell my clients, "hey, do you mind if I record this so I can listen to it later and update my notes?"

@Robert O wrote:

I keep going back to OneNote.  I have tabs set up for my clients, my blog, my college courses, etc.  I espesially like it for quick screen clips, and for creating "To Do" lists with checkboxes.

I also use MP3 Skype recorder as a free app to record Skype phone calls with my clients (saves haing to take notes, and I suppose it could come in handy if there was ever a disagreement about what we discussed -- though thank goodness I've never run into that situation yet).  Of course, you have to know the laws about recording phone calls in your state.  Usually, I simplly tell my clients, "hey, do you mind if I record this so I can listen to it later and update my notes?"

Yes! The MP3 Skype recorder comes in very handy for loooong internal status and update calls that are jam-packed with information.  

kugrin

I am really loving this thread, thanks to all that shared thus far! Please keep them coming!

@All in this thread....

This is proving to be a nice thread, and I hope more folks come in and join the conversation. I'm always looking for new app toys. The Onenote thing looks interesting, and as soon as I become less crazy busy, I'm going to look at it.

@Krisztina

If you decide to play with Rainmeter and need help, you can PM me here (I hope) and I'll help you out.

@Santiago

A drunken moose driving a car! Oh my, what a picture. Heh.