Did you mean: 

Your favorite weapons of choice

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
21 of 58

@Pandora H wrote:

@Krisztina U wrote:
Winamp, it really kicks the llama's a$$! I use that too and forgot to list it. Smiley Happy For the rest of your list, wow, sounds like a lot of machinery! Smiley Happy 

LOL. I use Winamp to, though I don't always have time to listen these days. Plus, I have a Rainmeter widget that shows me whats playing, so that I don't have to maximize Winamp. I've never really ever used any other mp3 player app. And of course, I got a nice clean skin for it.

That slogan automatically plays after installing and it burned itself into my brain. I haven't used it in a while either, but when I do, only on the classic Winamp skin. It's a blast from the past for me and is right there with dial up modems. The Rainmeter thingie looks intriguing. Does it eat up a lot of resources?  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
22 of 58

@Krisztina U wrote:

That slogan automatically plays after installing and it burned itself into my brain. I haven't used it in a while either, but when I do, only on the classic Winamp skin. It's a blast from the past for me and is right there with dial up modems. The Rainmeter thingie looks intriguing. Does it eat up a lot of resources?  

No, and that is the whole point of Rainmeter. If you had over to this URL: http://indigo-glow.deviantart.com/art/A-Future-Age-Rainmeter-309791828

That is a themed Rainmeter desktop I made a few years ago. The entire thing, and some of it was animated, still allowed an old XP box with 4 gigs ram to run games, photoshop, tons of browser tabs, etc. On my current box (running some one elses set of Rainmeter widgets), it takes up about 1-3 percent of my ram and cpu, depending on what it's doing.

Rainmeter, years ago, was developed by a small team to allow hardcore computer users to create widgets that showed the hardware state of their computer on their desktop. It's moved beyond that, obviously.

The files themselves: the actual app, a few plugins that interact with Windows and common apps (such as Winamp) and then the actual widget files, which are small files that can be edited in (hahaha) Notepad++, and image files.

The intial learning curve isn't as bad as say, 3DStudio Max, which I gave up on after a year and a half. If you can handle html and css, you can handle the code that Rainmeter uses.

Devient Art has a huge area just for Rainmeter: http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/customization/skins/sysmonitor/rainmeter/

I have a large collection of DA user created Skins and Themes: http://indigo-glow.deviantart.com/favourites/47229326/Customization-Rainmeter

I'm currently using this particular theme: http://vclouds.deviantart.com/art/Glasses-313182310

And finally, Rainmeter itself: http://rainmeter.net/ (Install, user forum (REALLY nice folks btw, and helpful too), along with Guides (good, well written).

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Charles C Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
23 of 58

Notepad++ is a great tool, I love how it can be configured how you like for colors etc too, it does a whole lot for a free program.

I am a huge fan of Dreamweaver myself, mainly because I have been using it since way back when it was a macromedia program, and I am just used to it. I also like how I can set up to automatically save files to server and run a testing environment inside it. Again a lot of it has to do with it being familiar to me however.

One of the newer ones that I really like is Brackets which can be found on github, it is nice because the changes you make sync live instantly. It does not have as many features and is not as familiar to me as Dreamweaver but people should check it out, keep an eye on it!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
24 of 58

Charles, that explains your expertise i.e., Dreamweaver. I've only gone as far as CS6 due to the cost, and I still have Macromedia on an old machine. Are your using Dreamweaver 8?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
25 of 58

Forgot who said they had a ton of email accounts, but Google is great for forwarding all your mail to. I use Google's own notifier it works fine, But I have all my emails forwarded to Google and get all my mail in one place. I just set up separate labels so everything is nice and neat.

I tried a program awhile back for Google Activeinbox I really liked but haven't had time to get around to the paid version which organizes your mailbox.

I am pretty good at organizing my own mailbox, but it had some features that were quite nice. 

Slack for communicating real time, what is neat about Slack is you can search it later and it saves everything in one place. So if you are wanting to remember something you had a chat about you can search to find it.

WIll add some more things on here later time to start my day.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Charles C Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
26 of 58

Trillian is something I have used for a long long time for communication. You can have 1 instant messanger window that handles all of your:

Yahoo IM,

AIM,

SKYPE,

Google Talk,

IRC

Emails

Facebook, twitter, Foursquare, LinkedIn, Myspace 

etc etc etc

It is nice to have all of that stuff filtered through one system when you are working with hundreds of clients from around the world that will not all conform to one communication system.

Highlighted
Community Guru
27 of 58

@Charles C wrote:

Trillian is something I have used for a long long time for communication. You can have 1 instant messanger window that handles all of your:

It is nice to have all of that stuff filtered through one system when you are working with hundreds of clients from around the world that will not all conform to one communication system.

Another win for Trillian, yes! Years and years (10+) I got sick of all the spam "make me your friend" messages coming from Yahoo Messenger. I switched to Trillian, and have never looked back.

Highlighted
Community Guru
28 of 58

@Suzanne N wrote:

Forgot who said they had a ton of email accounts, but Google is great for forwarding all your mail to. I use Google's own notifier it works fine, But I have all my emails forwarded to Google and get all my mail in one place. I just set up separate labels so everything is nice and neat.

I tried a program awhile back for Google Activeinbox I really liked but haven't had time to get around to the paid version which organizes your mailbox.

I am pretty good at organizing my own mailbox, but it had some features that were quite nice. 

Slack for communicating real time, what is neat about Slack is you can search it later and it saves everything in one place. So if you are wanting to remember something you had a chat about you can search to find it.

WIll add some more things on here later time to start my day.

Thunderbrird is especially nice when your monitoring Client email accounts. I've had lots of clients who set up a "their company" email for me, and with a scan few add-ons I can see all the accounts I'm monitoring, in the order I set them to display in. Right now I am monitoring 3 active client accounts, 1 legacy client account, my "work" gmail, and about 6 other gmails I have set up. My personal gmail gets 0 spam, and I don't use it all that much.

Plus, the Mozilla group belives in frequent updates. It's a solid app and the add-on community is large. It's overkill however, if you don't need to activaly monitor more then a few accounts. I use the Google Calender thing a lot too, as it just opens up in a tab in Thunderbird, and shows me all my clients schedules (except 1, who uses Office 365).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
29 of 58

Pandora wrote in part: "Thunderbrird is especially nice when your monitoring Client email accounts." That's for certain. especially when doing off-site SEO and related work for clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
30 of 58

@ Krisztina and Pandora

Leave the llamas alone!! The part to winamp that caught attention around here is the vocal remover. Had to teach several people how to setup and use that several years ago. So instead of a cheesy sounding audio normally found in kareoke songs, the original song could be used.

Needless to say, they're are all kareoke fans. Oddly enough, none of them could sing well !! Smiley LOL  I'm not sure if that thing is still available or working but at the time, it did provide some fun and is still very interesting.

@ Suzanne

Seems many of us have several..... dozen..... email accounts. Truth is, gaming addicts are well known to have many. I've encountered a few that have 80+ email accounts. All in use just for their games.

I'd really like to add AppMethod to my list. That should prove to be some fun!!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS