Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your favorite weapons of choice

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
51 of 58

I recently worked on a project that was set up through Basecamp, and while I can't say I love it, it really wasn't bad either. It was probably one of the most organized projects I worked on lately and that beats a pretty user interface.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
52 of 58

@Krisztina U wrote:

I recently worked on a project that was set up through Basecamp, and while I can't say I love it, it really wasn't bad either. It was probably one of the most organized projects I worked on lately and that beats a pretty user interface.

I used Basecamp once like 4? years ago. I recall thinking it was not "enough" for bigger teams and complicated projects. I looked at it again briefly in late 2014 and thought the same thing. Nothing wrong with it, just not quite enough functionallity. 

Also, Asana is free for up to 15 users, and has way more support, add-ons, and functions. I'd recommend Basecamp to Grandma, and Asana to ah dare I say **bleep** private users and mid-size teams (they have a paid tier which offers more members).

I could use Asana personally, but don't use it in my private life that much. If I am starting something complicated though, I'll create a project and get the project started, then use my own PC system to handle the rest.

One thing I will say about Asana though, that just boggles me. They do not offer "read only" permissions for member management. Boggle!

Highlighted
Rohit A Member Since: May 21, 2015
53 of 58

As a contractor, I love it when my freelancer uses effective tools for communication. As I recommended on another thread,

For Project Management: I used to stand firm behind Asana, but I now love how simple Trello (www.trello.com) makes my life!

File Collaboration & Reviews: Framebench (www.framebench.com) is a simple tool which gets me through annotating on various files I receive and keep all my discussions with the freelancer organized.

For messaging: I usually stick to email and sometimes the message center here. Has anyone tried out Slack/Hipchat?

Voice Calls: Skype!!

Highlighted
Community Leader
Julie T Member Since: Sep 29, 2011
54 of 58

I am using Slack for my main gig and it is great as far as keeping track of communication among a number of people working on different projects. If you are working/managing  projects following an agile development model where teams form and disband on a regular basis, I highly recommend Slack. Asana is alos a great project management tool. I found Basecamp to be rather clunky and tedious, especially as the admin who has to set it up and manage it. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
55 of 58

Weapons of mass destruction...

I like pouring my brews with Homebrew.

I like drinking wine too.

I like all the programs I have used from JetBrains.

I like a good read sometimes to help stay safe and secure online.

I like to see what is popular and then install some of them with this.

I like to improve my skills, stay current and learn new ways to solve problems.

Other than that I have used a lot of the programs that were mentioned in this thread and many other cool programs.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
56 of 58

Weapons of mass destruction...part 2...

aka.....the more you learn the more you earn!!!

I really like Opera

Money talks. 

I like watching videos like a King!

An app that everyone should have.

I like coding sublime text

My wing man!!

When I need protection

Sometimes on Windows

Something that is modern and mean

I like birds and Seamonkeys

LOL... Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Niti R Member Since: May 21, 2015
57 of 58

Thank you the super list of tools Krisztina! I have started using www.asana.com for my projects, I absolutely love the user interface - it's pretty seamless across mobile, tablet and desktop. It's pretty intuitive to the average non PMP-certified person. Drag and drop allows me to easily merge or separate personal and work tasks. Of course, it's fast and free so that always helps. I have been recently introduced to this tool called www.framebench.com for sharing files and annotating the details which discussing over them, it is quite cool and has fastened the review and approval process for me and my client. As I work as a social media consultant, I have to share and discuss lots of graphics and sometimes even videos, Framebench has made it very easy for me. and for tracking time, I use Time Doctor (www.timedoctor.com) as it helps to track time spent on tasks and verifies work done with screenshots. These tools altogether makes me more productive in my work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
58 of 58

Asana is getting a lot of love from the community, I'll check it out! Thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS