cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes, thats what also i know

kmunjal
Kunal M Member Since: Apr 2, 2010
1 of 49
Hi All BEWARE!! oDesk will reverse the payment even if the project is successfully completed with 5 star feedback. My client sent me BONUS payment. But after that when she doesn't need that specific work, that I already started working on it contacted oDesk and oDesk reversed the payment without my consent. And when I asked oDesk about this, they said fixed price are not guaranteed , in Fixed price contracts payments can be reversed in even closed project with 5 star feedback. Now I am afraid I have completed 400 jobs here and 3400 hours logged, close to 350 jobs are fixed now if every client will go to oDesk and ask to reverse payment they will reverse it by saying fixed prices payments are not guaranteed?. I am here a reputed contractor by which oDesk earned thousands of dollars, they are doing this to me, Now please think what they will do to the newbie. Thanks
bronnyslav
Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
2 of 49
AFAIK client can reverse only pending payments, during 7 days after amount was deducted. Payments already received by contractor cannot be reversed, unless client has some very solid proof of contractor's fraudulent activity. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
kmunjal
Kunal M Member Since: Apr 2, 2010
3 of 49
Yes, thats what also i know till that incident happen to me.But oDesk informed me that they can reverse any fixed payment if client come and ask for it.
zudwa_design
Angelina I Member Since: Jun 8, 2016
4 of 49

I got into the similar situation. And this is absolutely ridiculous! So poor freelancers can be robbed at any time without any protection.

Upwork is a terrible praltform. I miss Elance..(

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 49

Hi Angelina,

It looks like the payment was reversed because the hours you billed weren't under Upwork hourly protection. In the future, please make sure you log time using the Team App, add descriptive memos and meet other requirements for the payment protection outlined here in order to make sure you get paid.

~ Valeria
Upwork
ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
6 of 49

@Valeria

Are we protected in the case of Fixed-Price jobs?

Or are we vulnerable if there is a chargeback?

"Certa bonum certamen"
j_sokolova
Ace Contributor
Yuliya S Member Since: Mar 29, 2016
7 of 49

So there is no protection for freelancers? Did i understand correct? Hmmm... Should i worry about all my ended contracts?

liablanchard
Ace Contributor
Lia B Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
8 of 49

Hello friends:

This is just a friendly suggestion to check the dates of previous posts, particularly if the information is upsetting. oDesk doesn't even exist anymore; it's Upwork now, and many things have changed and continue to change.

I'm not commenting specifically on this subject -- you'll have to do that research yourself. I'm simply trying to alleviate anxiety and negative rumors, all based on potentially outdated information.

Smiley Happy

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 49

Yes, as Lia stated ... there's not much point in responding to a post that was started in 2014.

maverickuk
Ace Contributor
Nick M Member Since: Jul 12, 2011
10 of 49

Although the post is old and no longer really has a purpose, it's still true that clients can reverse ANY payment from Upwork and Upwork will simply reverse it and tell the freelancer that fixed-price isn't guaranteed. See, the issue is, if a client gives you 5* feedback and good written feedback, I think Upwork should be the ones who are left out of pocket because of a clients dishonesty and greed, not the freelancer. We're paying good moeny to use their platform and soon paying double, it's about time we got a few more safeguards in accordance with what we're paying for their services.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS