Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your payment can be reversed even after project is closed by 5 star feedback

justyourtype
Community Leader
Sue B Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
21 of 84

Petra wrote: If a non-Upwork client pays you by credit card or PayPal and files a chargeback the same thing happens.

This happened to me with PayPal a few years back.

Client approved and accepted work and paid me through paypal – $450.

Months later, the client filed a chargeback and PayPal gave him the money back and charged it back to me!

I cooperated with all inquiries from Paypal and even filed a police report for internet fraud/trying to defraud a credit card company but Paypal said there was nothing they could do.

I closed my Paypal account and years later, they still have the negative balance there if I try to re-open a Paypal account.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
22 of 84

@Sue B wrote:

Petra wrote: If a non-Upwork client pays you by credit card or PayPal and files a chargeback the same thing happens.

This happened to me with PayPal. 

Client approved and accepted work and paid me through paypal – $450.

Months later, the client filed a chargeback and PayPal gave him the money back and charged it back to me!

I co-operated with all inquiries from Paypal and even filed a police report for internet fraud/trying to defraud a credit card company but Paypal said there was nothing they could do.

I closed my Paypal account and years later, they still have the negative balancet here if I try to re-open a Paypal account.

Bad story. Are there any payment methods where chargeback is not possible?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
23 of 84
PayPal is terrible with chragebacks. Very buyer friendly. And they will hold your money and won't give it back. I use it but never with more than $50.
freddiedfre
Fredrick M Member Since: Sep 16, 2016
24 of 84

Just experienced this today(21/03/2019). Funny thing about my situation is that my contract was a hourly one. I logged time properly with the upwork time app. The client's payment method was verified too. The logged hours went in to the review period,  then before review period the client ended the contract. All the amount in review was reversed to the client without any notification to me. No dispute was initiated at any point. I have reached out to support but am yet to get a feedback.

lysis10
Community Guru
25 of 84

Fredrick M wrote:

Just experienced this today(21/03/2019). Funny thing about my situation is that my contract was a hourly one. I logged time properly with the upwork time app. The client's payment method was verified too. The logged hours went in to the review period,  then before review period the client ended the contract. All the amount in review was reversed to the client without any notification to me. No dispute was initiated at any point. I have reached out to support but am yet to get a feedback.

Money was reversed today? Or you mean he closed the contract today?

freddiedfre
26 of 84
The contract was closed two days ago, but I noticed the amount that is
supposed to be in review missing today.
lysis10
Community Guru
27 of 84

Fredrick M wrote:
The contract was closed two days ago, but I noticed the amount that is
supposed to be in review missing today.

Does a refund show in your transaction report?

freddiedfre
28 of 84

Just checked that and it indicates a reversal happened yesterday

lysis10
Community Guru
29 of 84

Fredrick M wrote:

Just checked that and it indicates a reversal happened yesterday

Wow and you didn't use manual time? Some type of fraud I would think then and I'm surprised you didn't get an email. When you give a refund (even when reversed due to manual time), you get an email.

dzadza
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
30 of 84

ok - this may sound crazy but....

is this site falling apart?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS