🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Youtube links in portfolios
Page options
analyticarts
Community Member

Youtube links in portfolios

Hello, I have a question regarding the feature in the portfolios section of our profile where we can link to youtube videos. 

I've looked through profiles that link to youtube videos and I can see some that contain full names. Is that in accordance with the terms of use, and doesn't it encourage circumvention?

Also, in the section where you can add the url to a youtube video, there is a broken link for "does your video meet Upworks guidelines?" I think this needs to be crystal clear on what you can and cannot do with linked videos. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out with these questions and I apologize for the delay in following up. Please note that you can add YT videos in your Portfolio as long as they don't include ads and adhere to all other Upwork Terms of Service.  Also, it's not against Upwork ToS to include a full name in the profile, including the Portfolio samples.

Note that the video will be subsequently displayed in a pop-up window and won't redirect to your YT channel, if this was your concern which prompted you to think about opening a fake account on YT? You can just disable monetization via YouTube in order not to display any ads in the video.

Thanks for flagging the link, I'll make sure our team updates the redirect and open the linked Help article immediately, instead of showing the error message first.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
mtngigi
Community Member

It's not only videos. There are tons of profiles with links to websites and a way to contact them, and in many overviews people say "hi, my name is" and then give out their first and last name, even though we're only supposed to use first name/last name initial on our profiles. Flagging these profiles usually yields little to no results. Make of it what you will - my feeling is a lot of circumvention goes on. Don't know anything about the video stuff.

So what should I do? I need to add video content to my portfolio. I am tempted to create a fake account.

I can't afford to get banned either. I hope to eventually utilize Upwork full time.

Hello, **Edited for Community Guidelines** here, I have just makeover my profile into a new look, Uploaded the Youtube link, Is the Short link worked for youtube? or paste the FULL link? Another question is that I have checked my settings It's selected shows my full name, but Upwork shows it on first name and last name digit, like; Arsalan A.
Please anyone here in the community guides me about these issues?

THanks

Hi Arsalan,

You can find instructions on how to add your YouTube video in the Add Video Overview section here.

Please know, the way your name is shown publicly is by design, for privacy reasons. Once you are hired your client will be able to see your full name in the contract room.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out with these questions and I apologize for the delay in following up. Please note that you can add YT videos in your Portfolio as long as they don't include ads and adhere to all other Upwork Terms of Service.  Also, it's not against Upwork ToS to include a full name in the profile, including the Portfolio samples.

Note that the video will be subsequently displayed in a pop-up window and won't redirect to your YT channel, if this was your concern which prompted you to think about opening a fake account on YT? You can just disable monetization via YouTube in order not to display any ads in the video.

Thanks for flagging the link, I'll make sure our team updates the redirect and open the linked Help article immediately, instead of showing the error message first.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Great. Thank you for the clarification.

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out with these questions and I apologize for the delay in following up. Please note that you can add YT videos in your Portfolio as long as they don't include ads and adhere to all other Upwork Terms of ServiceAlso, it's not against Upwork ToS to include a full name in the profile, including the Portfolio samples.

Vlad  -  when did allowing full names in profiles happen? Does that mean names at the top of overviews can be full names too?

Why the heck can't Upwork figure out a way to notify us (and not assume we're always checking the announcement page)? The last I knew, first name, last name initial. If you're going to allow full names, you may as well allow contact information in YT and everywhere else. It's not all that hard to find people when you have their full name.

Vlad  -  when did allowing full names in profiles happen? Does that mean names at the top of overviews can be full names too?

When I started a year ago, freelancers had an option whether to display their full last name or only the initials.

Also, I believe that once contact with a client has been established via Upwork messages, clients can see the freelancers full name even if the profile name displays only the initials.

Correct, Prachi. Please, refer to this announcement for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Virginia,

Just to clarify, the profile name at the top of the profile, will continue to show as First Name, Last Name initial:

Screenshot_4.png

That was announced here.

Including full First and Last name in the profile overview text or portfolio items isn't against the ToS and it's up to the freelancer to decide if they'd like to do that.  Please, note Garnor's reply to Wassim on that thread:

Screenshot_5.png

There haven't been any changes around it that we would need to announce. If there are any changes in the future, we'll let the Community know.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Can I send my Youtube channel link in the cover letter?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Farman,

Yes, you can share your external portfolios. Portfolios are an important part of a freelancer’s bidding process to show off their past work and their potential to complete a future project. That is why we are not prohibiting the sharing of external links to personal portfolios or other websites that provide examples of past work. We recognize that some of these links might include contact information and ways to identify and contact you outside of the Upwork platform. When you share these outside links, please remind potential clients to only communicate with you through Upwork until a contract is in place.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Vladimir. 

I have just created a profile and I want to showcase my voice-over work with a few Youtube videos. The problem is that it is adds that i did for a company.

So how can I showcase this when the links are not allowed if there's adds ? Do you know a way around this ? 

Thanks, Signe

Hi Signe,

Adding a professional video to your profile is an excellent way to market your relevant experience and expertise to prospective clients. You can give your proposals a competitive edge by uploading a video that is polished and concisely showcases your skills. For tips on taking your profile to the next level is an awesome intro video, drop by our resources center.

Guidelines for Profile Videos

• Upload to YouTube 
  • Disable monetization via YouTube (no ads on your video)
  • Adhere to all other Upwork Terms of Service

You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members