cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero $ Contract Paused by Client will affect JSS?

anu_livedata
Anu G Member Since: Oct 26, 2015
1 of 19

Hi ,

I am pretty new here and need you help . I had an instance where I was awarded an hourly contract and I accepted it . However within few hours of accepting the contract and before I could even start working on the requirements I got a message saying 'this contract is paused by the client'.  I tried reaching out to my client  but I haven't got any response in last few weeks . 

Now I was reading somewhere that the paused contracts where no work is delivered is counted negatively against freelancer in calculating JSS .

I did reach out to customer support and they confirmed that "though the contract will not appear on your Work History as only contracts with at least $1 payment will show on your profile. However, please note that this might affect your Job Success score"

I am very confused here on why I should be penalised at all and what could have possibly done here diffrently. I accepted the contract and was excited to work but it was immediately paused within few hours, before I could log even  $1 worth of work.  I was not even offered a reason for pausing this contract.

Request your feedback /help on how to go about it as I am more thinking about its negative impact on JSS.

Anu

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 19

Hi Anu,

Idle contract with no activity and therefore no payments may affect your Job Success score. In such situations I would suggest you message the client and ask them to close the contract if there is no work for you to complete on it. Then give the client some time to respond and if you don't hear back for a while, close the contract yourself. 

Also, make sure you accept an offer from a client only once the scope, terms, and timeline of the contract are discussed and set.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 19

And that Valeria is no answer to her question of, "Why should I be punished."

mgelorde13
Maribeth M Member Since: Jun 5, 2015
4 of 19

Hi Valerie,

What about ending an idle contract with $0 or time logged, will that affect my job success?

Since I have a client who offered me a contract last Oct 16  but until now he has now given me anything yet.

Can I just end the contract myself?  My concern is how will it affect my JS?

Thanks,

Maribeth

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
5 of 19

Hi Maribeth,

Please, refer to my reply to Anu earlier on this thread:

@Valeria K. wrote:

Idle contract with no activity and therefore no payments may affect your Job Success score. In such situations I would suggest you message the client and ask them to close the contract if there is no work for you to complete on it. Then give the client some time to respond and if you don't hear back for a while, close the contract yourself. 

Also, make sure you accept an offer from a client only once the scope, terms, and timeline of the contract are discussed and set.

~ Valeria
Upwork
lianstephen01
Lian Jenica D Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
6 of 19

Hello Valeria. 

Please help meSmiley Happy I currently have 2 contracts the first client gave me a raise I was notified that contract has been changed, however my working hours and payments are no longer posting and in my profile it says no feedback given. While on the other contract after more than 8 hours of work and $60.00 of payment the client told me they have to pause the contract. Will any of these affect my job success score negatively? Do I contact my second client to end contract? 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
7 of 19

Hi Lian Jenica,

The contract with the updated rate will show on your profile once you receive your first payment on it. The old contract that now is showing with no feedback will be merged into that new contract. It will not affect your Job Success score. Quite opposite, if the relationship with this client is long-term, it'll affect your JSS positively.

Paused contracts don't affect your Job Success score. However, if a contract remains inactive for a long period of time you may want to ask your client to close it.

~ Valeria
Upwork
mh4397
Mitesh P Member Since: Jul 8, 2017
8 of 19

hii

evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
9 of 19

Hmm, that's news to me - when the client pauses the contract this is bad for us?? Ok, I get that if the job is closed with no payment, that counts against us (although it's super counter-intuitive, but alright, we all know that's valid on Upwork). But why a paused contract counts against us? What if the client paused the contract because something about the job description changed? Maybe his priorities shifted? Maybe some part of the job itself needs to be reconsidered? Maybe they pause it until they clarify all that, and when things are clear, they unpause it and the freelancer can work?

So, honestly, that's completely new to me. Is it just me?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 19

Let me ignore all broader philosophical implications and considerations of whether or not Upwork's interface works as it "should" or is "fair."

Pure brass tacks tactics:

I am a contractor.

I want to maintain a high job success score.

One thing I do toward that end is I do NOT ACCEPT A CONTRACT UNLESS I'm ready to do at least ten minutes of work on it.

If I accept an hourly contract, I make sure I log at least ten minutes of time working on the contract.

That way I don't have to worry about a contract getting paused or closed by a client before I have done any work. That way this situation doesn't result in a $0 contract, which has the potential to negatively impact my job success score.

And, thinking about this logically, if you don't know enough about a job that you can log at least 10 minutes working on that job on behalf of the client, then it means you shouldn't be accepting the job anyway.

Hopefully you don't accept contracts in which a client just says: "Hey, Preston, I want you you to work for me!"

Hopefully you have some idea of what they want you to do.

Just emailing a client back and forth at the beginning of a project, asking her what she wants and getting a general idea of her overall project should take at least 10 minutes.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS