cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero $ Contract Paused by Client will affect JSS?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 19

To answer Evelina's question:

If a client (or if Upwork) pauses a contract, that does not count negatively toward our Job Success Score.

The problem here is that a client paused a contract before the contractor had a time to log ANY time.

And THAT could be a problem for the contractor.

This is an unusual situation, certainly not something most of us face. But as I pointed out, there IS a tactical way to prevent this.

Whether or not a contractor should NEED to use this tactic is not a question I am addressing here.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 19

Hi Evelina,

Whether the contract is paused or not does not affect the Job Success score. The fact that the contract is idle with no work done or money paid does.

~ Valeria
Upwork
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
13 of 19

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Evelina,

Whether the contract is paused or not does not affect the Job Success score. The fact that the contract is idle with no work done or money paid does.

I assume, Valeria, you are still forbidden from telling us when the demerit clock starts ticking.

Best,

MIchael 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 19

You are correct, Michael, we are not able to share these details.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jmenefee
Jeremy M Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
15 of 19

I have a client that I have successful contracts with previously. They opened another contract in anticipation of several projects, but had a temporary shift in focus that resulted in that contract being paused today by Upwork at $0 and 0 hours. This should not affect my JSS, imo. The relationship with the client is good, the history is good, 5-star reviews and all. Now I have to pester a client about something that is NOT THEIR PROBLEM to get them to unpause and then cancel the project somehow to protect my JSS? Is that correct?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
16 of 19

Hi Jeremy,

As Valeria noted in her comment on the first page of this thread, whether the contract is paused or not does not affect the Job Success Score. The fact that the contract is idle with no work done or money paid does.

If your client is planning on using the contract in the near future, you can keep the contract open. If they don't foresee having any tasks for you to complete, your client can consider ending the contract. It looks like you already received payment on this job, so this contract will contribute towards your Job Success Score if the client marks the job as completed successfully and creates a new contract whenever there is more work available.

Please remove the links you included in your profile overview and upload a real photo of yourself in order to bring your profile in line with Upwork ToS.

Untitled
jmenefee
Jeremy M Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
17 of 19

My point is that an idle contract with no payment and no money paid (such as the one I referenced), should not reflect on the freelancer, or the freelancer should have the ability to request Upwork review it to avoid a hit to the JSS. If it was a case of the freelancer failing to provide the content, wouldn't the client close the contract, rather than let it linger? They'd move on to a more professional freelancer, I would think. So, if no work was done or paid for, and the client didn't mark it closed, it shouldn't be a negative modifier to the JSS.

Obviously, in the future I won't accept an "on call" hourly contract from a long-term client unless there's something immediate they want done, to ensure there's time and payment in the contract history, but I feel like that's a poor outcome for both the freelancer and the client.

"As Valeria noted in her comment on the first page of this thread, whether the contract is paused or not does not affect the Job Success Score. The fact that the contract is idle with no work done or money paid does."

evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
18 of 19

Yup, I missed the fact that her contract has been paused for quite some time. The time of starting the contract and pausing it had been a few hours, so I kind of got fixed on that. I thought that this is the problem.

But clearly, the problem is the fact that the contract is paused for too long for the contractor's good. Yes, that makes sense.

anu_livedata
Anu G Member Since: Oct 26, 2015
19 of 19

Thanks a lot for all the pointers I will surely take care to avoid such issues going forward .

Happy to be part of this vibrant ,friendly community Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS