🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Zoom Meeting Via Zoom not via Upwork
Page options
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Zoom Meeting Via Zoom not via Upwork

Hello Guys!
A client's assistant was talking with me to schedule a meeting with her boss. After we agree on the date and time, she sent both me and her boss a Zoom's meeting link **(She generated that link directly through Zoom; not through Upwork's integrated Zoom function).** Will there be any Violation to the ToS if we met through that link? Knowing that if we agreed on the job requirements, the contract and payments would be through Upwork.

[For your information, the reason why she used Zoom directly to create the room is because Upwork's integrated Zoom function doesn't support scheduling a future meeting; it supports instant meetings only].

Thanks in advance!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Youssef,

Using the integrated Zoom option in Upwork Messages is in line with Upwork TOS and users do not need to have a Zoom account to use the feature. This doesn't apply to communicating via Zoom directly, outside Messages, before a contract is in place, which is still a TOS violation. Once a contract is in place you may use any communication methods you choose.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
m_terrazas
Community Member

Youssef B wrote:
Hello Guys!
A client's assistant was talking with me to schedule a meeting with her boss. After we agree on the date and time, she sent both me and her boss a Zoom's meeting link **(She generated that link directly through Zoom; not through Upwork's integrated Zoom function).** Will there be any Violation to the ToS if we met through that link? Knowing that if we agreed on the job requirements, the contract and payments would be through Upwork.

[For your information, the reason why she used Zoom directly to create the room is because Upwork's integrated Zoom function doesn't support scheduling a future meeting; it supports instant meetings only].

Thanks in advance!

According to the TOS you can't do it. It does not matter that later the work will be done through Upwork.
If you've already agreed on a date and time, which seems to be the downside, can't you make the meeting at Zoom Upwork?

Thanks for your reply, Maria.
Unfortunately, we can't do it as she needs to send the scheduled meeting link to her client today. This option can't be done using Upwork's integrated Zoom function. As we can only use it if both parties are ready NOW to meet NOW.

Youssef B wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Maria.
Unfortunately, we can't do it as she needs to send the scheduled meeting link to her client today. This option can't be done using Upwork's integrated Zoom function. As we can only use it if both parties are ready NOW to meet NOW.

Well hope a mod can help you.
I have never used Zoom either outside or inside Upwork.
I just thought that since you already have an agreed time, the client could start the meeting and send invitations to you and her boss at that time.
But I already tell you that I have no idea Smiley Frustrated

Hi Youssef,

Using the integrated Zoom option in Upwork Messages is in line with Upwork TOS and users do not need to have a Zoom account to use the feature. This doesn't apply to communicating via Zoom directly, outside Messages, before a contract is in place, which is still a TOS violation. Once a contract is in place you may use any communication methods you choose.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank You, Bojan, for your clear answer. I have informed her that I won't be able to use the link she provided for the reasons you provided.
I hope they don't think that I am a difficult freelancer to deal with. 
I would suggest that Upwork enables scheduling future meetings feature.
Thanks!

I had a few of those. As per my experience, a genuinely motivated client will understand and accept that. I then inform the client that: 1) I will share the link to the zoom meeting in Upwork a few minutes before the meeting and will connect and wait for them online; 2) this will allow them to either invite any of their colleagues in the messenger chat and access the zoom link, or 3) copy and paste the zoom link and email that to the other participant.

It works, I got contracts this way, no issues. Those who went missing did it for other reasons I believe 😉

This continues to be a gigantic pain in the neck because it adds friction to a client's engagement with Upwork and with me, just as I am trying to establish the basis for a possible business relationship.

I used to feel this way too, Phyllis. When the no-communication-off-platform-before-contract policy went into place, I complained pretty bitterly about it.

There are still issues there to address, but in my experience the past year or so, I've found I don't mind having a reason to introduce a tiny amount of friction to the process before a contract is in place to see how the client handles it. Nearly everyone has no problem at all with it, or it's like "ok this is a pain but it's a one time thing". It hasn't been much of a blip on the radar.

But I had to have a conversation with an existing client about this policy just to sort out how to have a conversation with another Upwork freelancer not in contract with my client. He went OFF. THE. RAILS. with me about it. If that had happened before I accepted a contract, no way would I have accepted the job. You don't always have a lot to go on to gauge how a new client will be; I guess I see this as a little additional piece of information about how a client handles themselves.

I know the policy still creates challenges for other types of freelancers and needs some work, but on the whole it hasn't been as terrible an experience as I expected when it was first introduced.

<<ducking as I imagine all the freelancers here throwing things at me for no longer hating the policy, lol>>

Jennifer V wrote:

I used to feel this way too, Phyllis. When the no-communication-off-platform-before-contract policy went into place, I complained pretty bitterly about it.

There are still issues there to address, but in my experience the past year or so, I've found I don't mind having a reason to introduce a tiny amount of friction to the process before a contract is in place to see how the client handles it. Nearly everyone has no problem at all with it, or it's like "ok this is a pain but it's a one time thing". It hasn't been much of a blip on the radar.

But I had to have a conversation with an existing client about this policy just to sort out how to have a conversation with another Upwork freelancer not in contract with my client. He went OFF. THE. RAILS. with me about it. If that had happened before I accepted a contract, no way would I have accepted the job. You don't always have a lot to go on to gauge how a new client will be; I guess I see this as a little additional piece of information about how a client handles themselves.

I know the policy still creates challenges for other types of freelancers and needs some work, but on the whole it hasn't been as terrible an experience as I expected when it was first introduced.

<<ducking as I imagine all the freelancers here throwing things at me for no longer hating the policy, lol>>

I'm not throwing things at you! I think it's a very reasonable policy. If only all the newbies would adhere to it and save themselves and the well-suffering forum from their resulting tales of woe when they find themselves scammed. 

Jennifer V wrote:

No ducking required. I haven't had an issue with it either and really it can serve as an extra filter to filter out troublesome clients.

My main problem with it isn't how it inconveniences me personally because it frankly doesn't, not really, but how it hands a competitive advantage to bad/dishonest or stupid/ignorant freelancers who will just go ahead and agree to communication outside the platform.

I do not believe it is in Upwork's interest to encourage such freelncers and to expose valuable Upwork clients to them.

Jennifer V wrote:

If it's working well for you, that's great. It's always nice to have more ways to screen out tantrum-prone clients. But for me, it's not worth it when it comes at the expense of perfectly nice ones who are forced to jump through extra hoops before we even get a contract set up. The new calendaring function may help but I maintain that this policy has not resolved either problem it was meant to address, and meanwhile created new ones.

And I may as well take the opportunity to beat my favorite drum: if UW would institute more meaningful vetting of incoming FLs, it would alleviate a whole slate of problems that sap resources in various ways.

grimesr
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Youssef,

Thank you! 

I realize this is a bit old, but can someone explain to me the difference between zoom in messages vs zoom outside? From what I see, it ends up in the same place in Zoom. Is Upwork monitoring the Zoom inside messages? Why the difference?

Robert G wrote:

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Youssef,

Thank you! 

I realize this is a bit old, but can someone explain to me the difference between zoom in messages vs zoom outside? From what I see, it ends up in the same place in Zoom. Is Upwork monitoring the Zoom inside messages? Why the difference?

Using the Zoom function in UW Messages does not require exchanging direct contact information. Using Zoom off the platform does. 

02d3e798
Community Member

It would be great if the Upwork Zoom enabled the Record feature because that is very useful. Then I could review what the client said in the initial conversation again if I need to do a follow up before we start working together.

lysis10
Community Member

I can't tell the difference anymore. It usually shows you just a link, but I had someone schedule a meeting using the new Upwork scheduler (I admit I like this feature btw) but then the link looked like a personal Zoom. I couldn't tell so idk anymore.

If Upwork hosts Zoom meetings...

And if a prospective client uses an Upwork tool to schedule a Zoom meeting, then I am not violating Upwork ToS by attending that Upwork tool-scheduled Zoom meeting.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths