🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » a client ended a contract very rudely..
Page options
fda70b38
Community Member

a client ended a contract very rudely..

Hello guys..

I just had a very very unpleasant experience with a client. which is that she canceled a fixed contract without asking me. the reason for the cancelation is "finding a lower rate with another freelancer".

she sent me an offer before we came to an agreement and forced me to accept it, and all of sudden she ended within a few hours. 

I don't mind that client anymore. the thing I wanna know is that will it affect my ratings and performance in Upwork?

I am really really frustrated. Please help me. 

Thanks

-Dil

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
arrohanj
Community Member

Hey Dilhara,

I dont know how she forced you to accept the contract. You should be clear with your terms and conditions before accepting the contract.

Anyways, moving past that, the contract had already been started and neither the client nor the freelancer should close it before informing or consulting with the other party. 

This is not just about money but ethics. Clients shouldn't be able to do things like these without considering the consequences.

I think you should open  dispute about this with the concerned team.

They will consider all the points and make a suggestion. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "a client ended a contract very rudely..."

So what.

re: "I just had a very very unpleasant experience with a client. which is that she canceled a fixed contract without asking me."

Freelancers may end a contract at any time. Clients may end a contract at any time. They don't need to give notice or ask permission or provide a reason.

re: "she sent me an offer before we came to an agreement and forced me to accept it"

That is not true.

She did not force you to do anything.

re: "the thing I wanna know is that will it affect my ratings and performance in Upwork?"

Probably won't affect you at all.

A zero pay contract does not have any negative impact on JSS unless the client left negative feedback. And the impact of contracts is weighed based on dollar amount.

jared_k
Community Member

It can affect your JSS based on the private feedback they left. I'm interested to know, how did they force you to accept the contract?

fda70b38
Community Member

they asked my email to send the materials.. and they did. I wasn't online about 45 minutes in Upwork. she sends me a couple of messages via the Upwork chatbox and tons of emails regarding accepting the contract because "she wanna badly work with me" like emails. And she told me that she will tell her friends about me (bad reputation) that are using Upwork already. 

Actually, I am very new to the upwork (only a couple of months). so with all of that, I was forced to accept it.. we came to a very clear position after chatting so a long time and she was okay with all terms and conditions as well...

when all of these things are finished, it's nighttime for my country. So I told her that "dear it's nighttime for my country. I wanna sleep I will do it in the morning" then she said okay..

When I check my mobile in the morning, she ended the contract saying as a summary, " I found a lower rate freelancer. so I don't need you"

I don't know about her PVT feedback to the Upwork. It was an $80 order.. I do care about my future here.. I don't want that order again..

I just need to know, will it affect my JSS? because I worked so hard to make a good place in here Upwork. 

petra_r
Community Member

Dilhara P wrote:

she canceled a fixed contract without asking me.

Clients don't have to ask freelancers whether they may end a contract.

Dilhara P wrote:

she sent me an offer before we came to an agreement and forced me to accept it

How did the client "force" you? Did they come to your house and hold a gun to your head?

Dilhara P wrote:

the thing I wanna know is that will it affect my ratings and performance in Upwork?

Only if the client left poor private feedback.

fda70b38
Community Member

hi.. This was the full story..

they asked my email to send the materials.. and they did. I wasn't online about 45 minutes in Upwork. she sends me a couple of messages via the Upwork chatbox and tons of emails regarding accepting the contract because "she wanna badly work with me" like emails. And she told me that she will tell her friends about me (bad reputation) that are using Upwork already. 

Actually, I am very new to the upwork (only a couple of months). so with all of that, I was forced to accept it.. we came to a very clear position after chatting so a long time and she was okay with all terms and conditions as well...

when all of these things are finished, it's nighttime for my country. So I told her that "dear it's nighttime for my country. I wanna sleep I will do it in the morning" then she said okay..

When I check my mobile in the morning, she ended the contract saying as a summary, " I found a lower rate freelancer. so I don't need you"

I don't know about her PVT feedback to the Upwork. It was an $80 order.. I do care about my future here.. I don't want that order again..

I just need to know, will it affect my JSS? because I worked so hard to make a good place in here Upwork. 

petra_r
Community Member

Dilhara P wrote:

they asked my email to send the materials.. and they did. I wasn't online about 45 minutes in Upwork. she sends me a couple of messages via the Upwork chatbox and tons of emails

Never communicate with a client by email until after they have hired you. It is a violation of Upwork's terms of service to do so. 

Also, at that moment you really should have known that the client would be difficult, no?

Dilhara P wrote:

I was forced to accept it... 

No, you really, really weren't. In future, do not accept a contract EVER when you see that a client is going to be difficult to work with. Just tell them you are no longer available and walk away. 

Dilhara P wrote:

I just need to know, will it affect my JSS? 

That depends on the private feedback the client left while closing the contract,

Dilhara P wrote:

hi.. This was the full story..

Your success on Upwork depends as much on knowing which clients and contracts to turn down as on the ones you agree to work with. 

fda70b38
Community Member

"Never communicate with a client by email until after they have hired you. It is a violation of Upwork's terms of service to do so. "

I didn't send a single reply to her. I am very aware of Upwork terms and conditions.. 

And I am doing all of my discussions in the Upwork chat box. 

Thank you very much for your time to give me an answer..

tjofi
Community Member

Hi Dilhara,

I strongly suggest to always clearly define the tasks and terms before accepting an offer.

You should know exactly what the client expects from you before you start the contract.

Only after you have come to a mutual agreement regarding the tasks, the terms (price, deadline), and the delivery format, should you proceed with the contract.

If you have an odd feeling about the client, their behavior or requests, always trust your intuition. You can check out their recent feedback from other freelancers on the job page.
To do that, click "View Proposal" on top of your messages with the client, then "View job posting" right below the job title and description and scroll down to "Client's recent history". If the client has negative feedback, or no feedback at all, I would rather skip that job than get my rating negatively affected by such people.

I hope that the situation with that client will not negatively affect your rating, and that this advice will be useful for you in future.

Regards,
~Filip
fda70b38
Community Member

hey Filip..

Thank you very much for your insights.. yeah I was very uncomfortable with her. she messed up the chat and tried to change the terms from time to time. But after a long time discussion, we came to an agreement. And she was agreed too. So I thought "Ok dil. all gonna be fine." 

when I woke in the morning there was a notification saying that the order was canceled by the client saying in brief, I found a lower rate flreelacner. I don't need you anymore. 

I am not upset about losing an order. I am upset about my JSS and the behavior of the clients that we work with. 

Your words mean a lot to me. Thank you very much, Filip.. 

me also upset. It is too much like this, and the freelancer is a fragile situation where the client can everything abusive

arrohanj
Community Member

Hey Dilhara,

I dont know how she forced you to accept the contract. You should be clear with your terms and conditions before accepting the contract.

Anyways, moving past that, the contract had already been started and neither the client nor the freelancer should close it before informing or consulting with the other party. 

This is not just about money but ethics. Clients shouldn't be able to do things like these without considering the consequences.

petra_r
Community Member

Rohan J wrote:

neither the client nor the freelancer should close it before informing or consulting with the other party.  

They can. It's not "nice" but doesn't brek any rules.

Rohan J wrote:

There is nothing to dispute. Do not waste Support time. Do you think Upwork would somehow force the client to hire the OP again?

Rohan J wrote:

No, they will do no such thing. There are no "points". There is no "suggestion" to be made other than "Move on!"

The contract is closed, no need to waste anyone's time.

fda70b38
Community Member

Thank you very much for your words... Sure I will forget it and try harder to gain my JSS again.. 

Yeah it's all about ethics.. I will never accept this kind of people's offers and invitations...

Thanks again

thnak you very much for your words Roshan.. I really appreciate it.

raju42
Community Member

After some hours if the client ended the contract, Hopefully, your profile job success score will not be affected. Try to get a new job.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members