🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: a client trying to get free work
Page options
benali-abderrhmn
Community Member

a client trying to get free work

I client asked me to do a job for him on the day of the submission he gave me more extra work without paying anything extra, I was trying to be cooperative with him so I submitted the first work and asked for time to reviews and do the new work, three days after when I couldn't finish it yet he started to use inappropriate words and called me liar so I decided to stop the work, and told him that I won't do any extra work for him, then he closed the contract without consulting me and left a feedback where he lied about everything, he even mentioned contacting my university and that they said I'm a terrible student, he took a screenshot of the feedback and start to threating me to complete the work otherwise he'll leave it and leave the same feedback on my LinkedIn profile, I have no intention to continue working with him so I hope you can help me with this matter.

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Benali:
As freelancers, we don't come here to work for free.

The overwhelming majority of clients on Upwork are good clients who use the tool properly.

If a client asks you to work for him, and you are interested in doing the work, then tell him that you CAN work for him.

Tell the client that you can do the project for a fixed-price contract of $XXX.00 dollars, or using an hourly contract at your posted rate. Tell him you will be happy to get started as soon as he sends you the contract offer.

If he doesn't hire you, then go to the job posting page and click on the Three Dots icon or "Flag as inappropriate" link in the top right corner and report the job posting. Select the option that says the client asked you to work for free.

If you ALREADY have a contract with a client (as was the case in your situation), and the client asks you to work for free, then you should say no.

You did the right thing.

If you have a client who goes bananas and starts saying strange things... Fortunately this sort of thing is rare. But the best thing is to NOT reply that that sort of thing. Sometimes it is best to simply block communications from such a person.

thank you for your response sir,
actually at first everything was normal, he started this after I submited my first miestone, he left a terrible feedback and said I eitheir do more work and he'll edit it or he'll just leave it, 
I don't want his feedback on my page that's why I'm reaching out to you, I hope you can help me 

Benali:
I'm just an Upwork user, not an employee. I have no way of knowing what that client posted as feedback, and I have no way of removing that feedback.

But I can provide you with some information that may be helpful:
- There ARE rules about what people can write in feedback, and if a client violates those rules, their feedback can be edited or removed by Upwork Customer Support.

- Freelancer's can't edit a client's feedback directly.

- Top-Rated freelancers have a "perk" which they can use to have bad feedback removed a few times a year, under certain conditions.

- Any freelancer can cause feedback to disappear from their public profile page by refunding the money paid for that contract.

- It is possible for a freelancer to leave a comment under a client's feedback. Usually it is a mistake to do that.

- If you DO want to leave feedback after a client's feedback, don't do it without talking to us first. You'll probably mess it up and make things worse. But if you talk to us, we can help you.

- If a client leaves feedback comments that you read and think: "Wow, that person sounds like a lunatic"... Other people who read those same comments will probably think the same thing.

re: "actually at first everything was normal, he started this after I submited my first miestone, he left a terrible feedback and said I either do more work and he'll edit it or he'll just leave it"

This is what is known as "feedback manipulation."

The client is violating Upwork ToS. It would indeed be appropriate for you to report the client to Upwork Customer Service and have them intervene.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths