cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a problem regarding rising talent and preferred qualifications

utkanozden
Active

Hello,

I am writing about a problem regarding rising talent and preferred qualifications. I am a freelancer at Upwork since 2016 May. Since then, I had three clients, I am still working with one of them. All of them left five star reviews and written positive reviews. I have delivered my projects on time and as promised. I have %100 complete profile, I update my availability, I had no recent account on hold, I answer clients immediately, my earnings are more than $1,000. I submit proposals to the jobs that I am qualified for (Turkish translation and marketing), however, doing all of these did not make me a rising talent. I also could not receive any job success scores and I know that the job success score is given after 5 jobs or after one year.

The problem is all the jobs, even the most relevant ones according to my skills require a job success score or a rising talent badge. In this case, I do not understand how I can get these jobs that I am suitable for without the badge or the score. This has become something like a dead end. I do not know what to do. Could you please help me to enhance my profile on Upwork?

Thanks

hatice

24 REPLIES 24
colettelewis
Community Guru

You should certainly have at least the rising talent badge and  really you should be top-rated. But  you need more than three contracts by different clients to qualify for the latter and/or a JSS.

Yours is quite a specialized field, but perhaps you could apply for some smaller, one-off jobs to boost your contract count.  There have been other freelancers who have experienced the same thing - highly qualified and well paid - but who, to begin with, somehow did not fall into either category.

carlos-lobo
Community Guru

Hello, How will you expect to get rising talent less taking some test? I dont know. There is a lot of tests for writers and obviously for translation too.  Dont worrry about a lot with too little effort, I am sinnce the time as you and have rising talent but one job only but expecting the more, explore the tests section, it less doubt will improve your profile if you are able to pass them and possibly increases the possiblity for rising talent. Greeting and luck.

Carlos, the OP has good clients, an excellent academic record, and has also made a lot more money for this site than you have.

She has also done a test. If the rising talent badge really depends on more tests (the answers to most of which are published on the internet) then  the benchmark of potential excellence is flawed and and the badge worthless.

However, many clients don't know this and are taken in by a proof of talent that is suspect from the start.  

Nichola, nobody was comparing the productivity among freelancers, she is better than me? that is ok, thank for the notice. I have seen somewhere that taking test is necessary for rising talent, also anybody knows that taking test is good for the profile, disregarding the academic and so on, is no matter what you said, empty arguments, sorry I am sincere. Greetings.

@Carlos L wrote:

Nichola, nobody was comparing the productivity among freelancers, she is better than me? that is ok, thank for the notice. I have seen somewhere that taking test is necessary for rising talent, also anybody knows that taking test is good for the profile, disregarding the academic and so on, is no matter what you said, empty arguments, sorry I am sincere. Greetings.

Carlos, give it a rest OK? - Greetings.

thank you very much for all your comments.

what I come to think, is there is a system that makes the new freelancers rising talents (people I know -newly joined 2 weeks ago- have this badge)  and I joined Upwork before this program was implemented. 

so that's why I do not have the badge and also I do not meet the other qualifications, such as JSS. 

The question is how can I be a part of this system? This is the thing I wonder...

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hatice,

Please check the requirements for becoming a Rising Talent and note that the sign up date doesn't affect a freelancer's eligibility for this or any other Upwork programs. Once all the requirements are met, you'll be automatically enrolled into the Rising Talent program and receive its benefits.

Untitled

Hi Vladimir,

thanks for your reply and your help.

I have checked the requirements for many times.  I have delivered great results to my clients, I have completed my projects on time and as promise. I maintain a 100 percent compleye profile and keep my avalibity updated, I submit proposals relevant to my subjects. I am active on Upwork. I try to do everything in order and accurately.

I hope I will be enrolled for the program when the time has come. 

thanks again.

It is beyond comprehension, how it is that the rising talent badge is given to people who have not even completed one job, but who have passed one or two tests.

Hatice, if it is of any comfort, I have just viewed the profile of another freelancer (who posted today on a different subject), who has made a considerable amount of money on this platform, but has just the one client. The freelancer is neither rising talent nor top-rated, which I think is quite shocking given that Upwork encourages ongoing clients.

Anyway, for what it's worth, if you haven't already read this, here is the link to how the JSS works:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358-My-Job-Success-Score

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

Either the rising talent badge is awarded by random or it can be manipulated. I can see a freelancer's profile where the person has done only one single job in months where he earned 5 USD and this is his only job and he has a rising talent badge. However, he has done multiple tests! Is this the way to manipulate the rising talent badge? Woman Surprised

Therefore the rising talent badge does not mean much for me, because it can be manipulated like the top-rated badge where certain freelancers are regulary getting rid of bad reviews.

Hi Nichola and Margarete,

We've confirmed before that having ongoing or completed contacts is not a factor for participating in the Rising Talent program. Please refer to the requirements listed in the Help article I shared if you have any questions/doubts about the criteria for becoming a Rising Talent.

Untitled
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Vladimir G wrote:

We've confirmed before that having ongoing or completed contacts is not a factor for participating in the Rising Talent program. Please refer to the requirements listed in the Help article I shared if you have any questions/doubts about the criteria for becoming a Rising Talent.

Yes, I have read it and nothing does apply to this specific freelancer who did one minute of work on Upwork and does not have a proven record of successful work on or outside or Upwork and when I compare him to the OP I can only be very surprised that he has not received the badge. So, if it are not the tests the badge must have been rewarded to the one-minutejob-freelancer by random.

Edited to add: Or can anybody explain to me why the OP who has completed her studies at an university and has earned nearly 4,000 USD with her first three jobs on Upwork and the two jobs that have been completed have a five star rating does not deserve a rising talent badge and her "competitor" who earned 5 USD with one job he did in one minute is a rising talent? I just want to understand it. Something is wrong here - and it is not me. Vladimir, can you please check why the OP did not get a rising talent badge instead of just linking to Upwork's TOS that is not really helpful here? 

@Vladimir G wrote:

Vladimir, I find this reply just short of insulting. I have read about the rising talent program dozens of times.

Unless the OP has had any suspensions, I cannot see how she does not qualify for the badge. She does not have a JSS, she has clearly contributed in every way to have earned the badge - with the exception of course of just one test taken. There seems to be only one conclusion to draw, as others on this thread have pointed out, that the weight is on the tests. 

@Margarete M. wrote:
Either the rising talent badge is awarded by random or it can be manipulated.

Nichola and Margarete,

Rising Talent badge is not awarded randomly, there are a number of factors that are counted and we have shared those factors in the help article and here in the Community. We can't share more information for the very reason that the system can't be manipulated. We also can't share more details about the outcomes of freelancers' first jobs that also contribute to their Rising Talent status or lack or it.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

@Margarete M. wrote:
Either the rising talent badge is awarded by random or it can be manipulated.

Nichola and Margarete,

Rising Talent badge is not awarded randomly, there are a number of factors that are counted and we have shared those factors in the help article and here in the Community. We can't share more information for the very reason that the system can't be manipulated. We also can't share more details about the outcomes of freelancers' first jobs that also contribute to their Rising Talent status or lack or it.

I don't think I wrote or even suggested either 'random' or 'manipulation'. I did suggest that the number of tests taken (and their results) would make a difference as to whether one received a rising talent badge or not. And I have yet to be convinced that this is not the case.

Nichola,

Taking tests contributes to the profile completeness and 100% complete profile is one of the requirements for Rising Talent program. That's the only connection.

~ Valeria
Upwork

My apologies to Carlos.

Dear Valeria,

thanks for all your responses and comments...

I have read each comment. 

I believe I know all he requirements for this issue and I think I have completed these requirements, even one of my test score is top rated. That's why I am trying to understand the system or the real requirements for the badge. 

Cause, in each proposal I submit I am facing the same obstacle and the client does not even view my profile and as a result, nothing changes the nature of my problem (I cannot get any job for certain period of time on Upwork). As a freelancer, this is something I need to question.

Hatice

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Hatice U wrote:

Dear Valeria,

thanks for all your responses and comments...

I have read each comment. 

I believe I know all he requirements for this issue and I think I have completed these requirements, even one of my test score is top rated. That's why I am trying to understand the system or the real requirements for the badge. 

Cause, in each proposal I submit I am facing the same obstacle and the client does not even view my profile and as a result, nothing changes the nature of my problem (I cannot get any job for certain period of time on Upwork). As a freelancer, this is something I need to question.

Hatice

Maybe one of your clients despite public 5-star-rating did not recommend you 100% in private feedback. From what I have read in the community this is another reason for not getting or losing the rising talent badge.

@Hatice U wrote:

"We look at a variety of factors when determining whether to award Rising Talent status. This includes...... as well as the opportunities available in the market."

From what I have noticed there aren't many jobs related to turkish translations, writing.

Not many rising talents for turkish translations and writing either.

Maybe take in consideration to tweak the profile title, overview. I get it but if I were a bot I'd be confused.

Maybe try something along this line ... English to Turkish Translation - Content Writer & Translator

If you offer writing in english, make it plain clear, don't mix with turkish.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS