🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: about paying for licence for software/ se...
Page options
visualstudio
Community Member

about paying for licence for software/ services

I googled but not find it, what if a project needs some license, a client needs to upload into project money, same as always?

Some licenses are expensive, we need to wait to continue work, there is not some exception for similar cases?

thanks

21 REPLIES 21
petra_r
Community Member

Aleksandar T wrote:

what if a project needs some license, a client needs to upload into project money, same as always?

Some licenses are expensive, we need to wait to continue work, there is not some exception for similar cases?

It's much better, quicker, cheaper and easier if the client simply buys the licence from the company that sells the licence directly themselves. No Upwork fee, no need to wait, and the client owns their licence.

Yes, it is the best, but some licenses ask you to login into your existing account and pay with your cc.It can be solved with bonuses, bonus by the way not need to have some delay anyway.

Aleksandar T wrote:

Yes, it is the best, but some licenses ask you to login into your existing account and pay with your cc.It can be solved with bonuses, bonus by the way not need to have some delay anyway.

Bonus and expense payments have the exact same security period and there is the Upwork fee. So it makes everything slower and more expensive for the client, which makes no sense. So again it is best to just let the client buy it.

yes, it is the best in your some imagine one only case, but there is a lot of different cases, for example, I have a middle license and upgrade cost 200$, if client take new it is 1000$ . And this rule about bonus and fee is not some God rule, it can be changed for similar situations.

Aleksandar T wrote:

And this rule about bonus and fee is not some God rule, it can be changed for similar situations.

It won't be.

yes, just hard, without the big picture, I just want to help, similar cases forced clients to pay outside Upwork, and maybe they will like it , I just want to find some solution to all stay into Upwork.

Aleksandar T wrote:

yes, just hard, without the big picture, I just want to help, similar cases forced clients to pay outside Upwork, and maybe they will like it , I just want to find some solution to all stay into Upwork.

As a freelancer, you are responsible for having the tools you need to do the gigs you take. Now, you are in a situation where you need an upgrade to your tool. That cost is something you need to be prepared to pay. If you cannot afford the upgrade until your client pays you, then that is a cashflow issue on your part--not a payment speed issue on Upwork's part. It is unfortunate, but not something Upwork can solve for you.

Either ask your client to wait until the money has cleared or take the risk of paying for the upgrade yourself and hoping that the client pays you enough to cover the cost later. 

Repeatedly mentioning that you are considering taking the payment off-platform accomplishes nothing except alerting Upwork that you are willing to break the rules to get what you want. Is that really the message you want to send? 

Aleksandar T wrote:

similar cases forced clients to pay outside Upwork.

"Forced?" - Clients are not "forced" to violate Upwork's terms of service and freelancers are not "forced" to risk getting their accounts permanently suspended by receiving money outside of Upwork.

alexandernovikov
Community Member

I'd be wary of that, almost every project that involves you buying something to do work, is a scam.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Aleksandar T wrote:

I googled but not find it, what if a project needs some license, a client needs to upload into project money, same as always?

thanks

There are 2 ways to deal with it:

1. People are able to invoice expenses without upwork fee. That would be abused to no end, so upwork is not going to implement it.

2. Upwork creates an expense processing system, where people can upload invoices, to be checked by upwork employees, to be processed without charging the upwork fee. That would be abused to no end, so upwork is not going to implement it, plus it would make upworks expenses go way up, therefore increasing the upwork fee for all us. 

It is not circumvention when the client pays for a third party service directly, it is only circumvention if he pays YOU directly without upwork receiving their fee. 

Yes, but in the current case, I need to take additional tools from the existing service, and I need to pay from my CC . In some other cases, a client just said, please solve it ( take some external service or license) it will be elegant to not bother a client about it.

But at least, one of the problems can solve with less delay for the bonus.

Aleksandar: Ultimately, you are allowed to handle this any way you want to, as long as you use the existing Upwork user interface and do not violate any Upwork TOS.

Your choices include:

- client directly pays for license

- you pay for license and eat the cost

- you pay for license and client reimburses you through Upwork

You have explained that you have a special situation which should be an exception to the rules. But Upwork is a big company with complex software and a large number of users. It is not going to change to accommodate everyone's exceptions. Sorry.

Taking external service and some licenses for jobs are some big exception in freelance world ?

I first hear it, only in my work, it happened a million times.and I paid from my funds, it is fine, but some services are expensive. When the client said: please solve it, it is end of all, it means, " I do not want mess with it "

And I  do not want to say:" you know, I do not want to solve it, solve you, when you send me money for this service, I will get next week(s).... " 

It is good if Upwork allow it, to client send me money to my Paypal to take a license, but it is red flag, and I do not want use it,it can be abused on a million levels, it is better to can be solve with current system

Just so you are perfectly clear: Upwork won't reduce the fee for bouses or the security perriod. So this is pretty much a dead horse you're flogging here. bAnd they certainly wouldn't dream off allowing such expenses to be paid outside Upwork.

your communication is rude from start for some reason,if you do not have some ideas, what is your point?

consumables are some normal kinds of stuff in any contract. It can be solved in next way: every contract can have consumables with some limit, for example, 500/800$, if client mark  "consumables" before sending a bonus, those funds arrive right now, and maybe some less fee.  And "consumables" can not add before the contract not have xx amount.

Aleksandar T wrote:

Taking external service and some licenses for jobs are some big exception in freelance world ?

I first hear it, only in my work, it happened a million times.and I paid from my funds, it is fine, but some services are expensive. When the client said: please solve it, it is end of all, it means, " I do not want mess with it "

And I  do not want to say:" you know, I do not want to solve it, solve you, when you send me money for this service, I will get next week(s).... " 

It is good if Upwork allow it, to client send me money to my Paypal to take a license, but it is red flag, and I do not want use it,it can be abused on a million levels, it is better to can be solve with current system

So you are saying you are paying client's expenses out of your own pocket in order to not aggravate the client? Doesn't sound like a sustainable business model. 

"So you are saying you are paying client's expenses out of your own pocket in order to not aggravate the client? Doesn't sound like a sustainable business model. "

Yes, it is a sustainable model, because we are here to solving problems, to take care, clients want to give us money to solving problems. I do not know what is a problem with it, the only problem is money flow delay and big fee for bonus. Maybe is new Upwork moto

" Client: please solve it, freelancer: no solve you it "

Martina P wrote:

Aleksandar T wrote:

So you are saying you are paying client's expenses out of your own pocket in order to not aggravate the client? Doesn't sound like a sustainable business model. 

I think he's saying that if a client says "solve it" he is taking that as an invitation to charge the client for the tools he needs to operate his business. In effect, he wants a shiny new licensing upgrade and plans to bill the client for the cost because he can't do the work he agreed to do without it. He'd like Upwork's help to facilitate this process so that he doesn't have to put his own coin at risk for even a moment and walks away with a nice license upgrade. 

it is a paraphrase. 

I just get a new contract from some premium client 2 m$ >  

and I remembered this topic and advises.

For sure, I have, and here consumables, and maybe I could tell him 

" Upwork advice me to outsource to you some job " . 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths