Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

about paying for licence for software/ services

visualstudio
Ace Contributor
Aleksandar T Member Since: Oct 5, 2015
1 of 22

I googled but not find it, what if a project needs some license, a client needs to upload into project money, same as always?

Some licenses are expensive, we need to wait to continue work, there is not some exception for similar cases?

thanks

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 22

Aleksandar T wrote:

what if a project needs some license, a client needs to upload into project money, same as always?

Some licenses are expensive, we need to wait to continue work, there is not some exception for similar cases?

It's much better, quicker, cheaper and easier if the client simply buys the licence from the company that sells the licence directly themselves. No Upwork fee, no need to wait, and the client owns their licence.

visualstudio
Ace Contributor
3 of 22

Yes, it is the best, but some licenses ask you to login into your existing account and pay with your cc.It can be solved with bonuses, bonus by the way not need to have some delay anyway.

petra_r
Community Guru
4 of 22

Aleksandar T wrote:

Yes, it is the best, but some licenses ask you to login into your existing account and pay with your cc.It can be solved with bonuses, bonus by the way not need to have some delay anyway.

Bonus and expense payments have the exact same security period and there is the Upwork fee. So it makes everything slower and more expensive for the client, which makes no sense. So again it is best to just let the client buy it.

visualstudio
Ace Contributor
5 of 22

yes, it is the best in your some imagine one only case, but there is a lot of different cases, for example, I have a middle license and upgrade cost 200$, if client take new it is 1000$ . And this rule about bonus and fee is not some God rule, it can be changed for similar situations.

petra_r
Community Guru
6 of 22

Aleksandar T wrote:

And this rule about bonus and fee is not some God rule, it can be changed for similar situations.

It won't be.

visualstudio
Ace Contributor
7 of 22

yes, just hard, without the big picture, I just want to help, similar cases forced clients to pay outside Upwork, and maybe they will like it , I just want to find some solution to all stay into Upwork.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
8 of 22

Aleksandar T wrote:

yes, just hard, without the big picture, I just want to help, similar cases forced clients to pay outside Upwork, and maybe they will like it , I just want to find some solution to all stay into Upwork.

As a freelancer, you are responsible for having the tools you need to do the gigs you take. Now, you are in a situation where you need an upgrade to your tool. That cost is something you need to be prepared to pay. If you cannot afford the upgrade until your client pays you, then that is a cashflow issue on your part--not a payment speed issue on Upwork's part. It is unfortunate, but not something Upwork can solve for you.

Either ask your client to wait until the money has cleared or take the risk of paying for the upgrade yourself and hoping that the client pays you enough to cover the cost later. 

Repeatedly mentioning that you are considering taking the payment off-platform accomplishes nothing except alerting Upwork that you are willing to break the rules to get what you want. Is that really the message you want to send? 

petra_r
Community Guru
9 of 22

Aleksandar T wrote:

similar cases forced clients to pay outside Upwork.

"Forced?" - Clients are not "forced" to violate Upwork's terms of service and freelancers are not "forced" to risk getting their accounts permanently suspended by receiving money outside of Upwork.

alexandernovikov
Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
10 of 22

I'd be wary of that, almost every project that involves you buying something to do work, is a scam.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS