cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accidental click made me have to rewrite a proposal

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
11 of 37

Ever think of using Microsoft Word (or another word processing program)???? Write it in Word and then just copy and paste it in your cover letter of your proposal. 

Angie C Member Since: Jan 7, 2019
12 of 37

Wow, four question marks.

If you can make the Word solution work for entering of milestone descriptions, dates and prices, I'll be over the moon!  Until then...

Community Leader
Michelle S Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
13 of 37
This is really just poor/lazy/sloppy design. You should not have to write your proposal in Word for fear of losing your work because you click somewhere on the screen.
Angie C Member Since: Jan 7, 2019
14 of 37

Update - Chrome seems to reduce the risk of losing everything with an errant click, but doesn't fix the problem entirely.

Ace Contributor
Jay A Member Since: Mar 31, 2018
15 of 37

I don't know how many times now, but this keeps happening to me.  Please correct this in your program, it is such a boobie trap.

Whenever I get an invitation to apply and am filling out the response form, I will be filling out all of the fields, write my proposal, answering questions, if I inadvertantly click on a blank portion of the page (I do this all the time instinctively to be sure that the correct window is in fact on top), the browser backs out of the page losing everyting that I have just done!

I just happened to me for about the 20th time and it is quite disruptive and counter-productive, as I have to start all over.  And in this case, now I have an appointment for a call with a client, and so my proposal will not be submitted for now as I just wasted the time I had available because the extremely skittish webpage interface disappeared because I clicked on a blank spot on the page AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Please, I'm begging you, please correct this horror of a "feature"!  Smiley Happy

Community Leader
Michelle S Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
17 of 37
Jay, if you don’t want this to happen for the 21st time, get in the habit of first writing long proposals in a text editor, then copy/pasting it into the proposal form. If you use a Mac, then TextEdit will suffice. If not, I’m sure there are suitable Windows apps.
18 of 37

Thank you John, for the reply.  I do in fact do as you are saying, but often there are also client questions to also answer in separate windows.  So even though I do edit my proposals in word then paste into the form, that doesn't change the fact that due to this "feature" I have to start the form all over again, from entering my rate, milestones, and paste each section over again.  

Yes I can mitigate the problem to a point, but it is still a real problem that over and over has cost me real time, even if I'm mitigating it, if I fall for the trap again I do have to fill everything out again, all because I clicked on a blank spot on the page.  The problem is not how I fill it out, the problem is that the page vaporizes upon a simple trigger which should not be causing such vaporization of work.

Jay

Ace Contributor
Jay A Member Since: Mar 31, 2018
19 of 37

Thank you Michelle,

That is a good link about proposals in general doing similar.  I think it is even worse on the invitation reply page.

Jay

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
20 of 37
Jay, I agree with you that this isn’t good UI design, but this has been pointed out many times in this forum and nothing’s been done about it to date. As a matter of fact, many site improvements have been proposed here over the years to little or no effect. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t voice your criticism but don’t hold your breath waiting for something to happen. I think I post an answer similar to this about once a year.