cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

all the reasons your application is hidden...

sadsayeed
Sayeed A Member Since: Nov 1, 2014
21 of 44

Hahaa... I've got one unsolicited invitation of 'Good Fit' on a job post that was regarding "Industrial Chemical Engineering"! I never had any of those words anywhere on my profile or job history, neither from that profession. Whereas, well, I haven't seen 'Good Fit" on anywhere else on skills where I've earlier aced in work history. Curious, very Curious...hahaa! Smiley Happy

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 44
The "Good Fit" label may simply be an indication that you and the client wear the same shoe size.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
23 of 44
In all seriousness, you must understand that if your name is not showing up in job applicant lists and you are not receiving interview requests after you apply for jobs, there is a strong possibility that your ACCOUNT IS UNDER REVIEW.

Your account may have been put under review without you being notified (as has happened to me). You may only be able to find this out if you open a support ticket.
sadsayeed
Sayeed A Member Since: Nov 1, 2014
24 of 44

Thanks Preston, really appreciate. True that on the Good Fit remark... Smiley Happy

And, seriously I'm getting a bit puzzled and anxious about possible "Under Review" thing without even a slightest notice.... another consequence of demand-supply imbalance. Let's see, hoping for the best, planning for the worst case scenario!! Smiley Frustrated

prestonhunter
Community Guru
25 of 44

Information I received from oDesk Help Center lists a number of reasons why a contractor's job applications may be auto-hidden OR why a contractor's account may be put under review (which means their job applications are completely blocked from being seen by client).

Some of these reasons were not previously listed in this thread.

Based on this communication and additional information I have gleaned from forums and experience, allow me to present some additional reasons:

- missed deadlines

On fixed length contracts and milestones, there is a deadline: a specific date by which you are supposed to turn in a project. If you turn in the project after that date, this can trigger your account being put under review and/or can cause your job applications to be auto-hidden. Even if there are no complaints from the client. You need to keep an eye on those deadline dates and submit work on or before those dates. Note that the clients have no way to extend or change the deadline dates.

- Clients not completely satisified with contractor's work.

Note that this is not indicated only by stars and comments presented as public feedback. Clients are asked to rate contractors on a scale of 1 to 10 regarding how likely they are to recommend the contractor to other clients. This is private feedback. Clients who rate the contractor less than 10 can be said to be a client who is not completely satisfied with the contractor's work. With a few such "less than completely satisfied" private feedback scores, a contractor's job application rating can go down or the account can go under review. There are other questions asked of clients as well. The questions are not always the same.

- responsiveness levels

How quickly do you respond to client communications, whether they're an existing client or a potential client.

- accuracy of profile and/or identity information

Contractors must be truthful on their profile about what skills you have. I am not really sure how oDesk evaluates this, but they do. One possibility is this: When you submit a job application, clients can remove it from their active list of applicants by clicking an X. They can click this and not give a reason, OR they can select from a list of reason why they are removing you and your application from their applicant list (thus putting you into their hidden applications list). One of the reasons they can provide is "contractor clearly not qualified".

One theory is that, regardless of your actual qualifications, if clients whose jobs you apply for check this reason when dismissing your application, you could be penalized. So you really do want to apply to jobs you're qualified for, and which either your profile or job application cover letter indicates you are qualified for, or else you may be flagged for not having inaccuracy in your profile. (This is just a theory, mind you.)

- disputes

You do not want to have any disputes between you and a client, as these can put your account under review or lower your job application visibility.

Keep in mind that oDesk takes into account jobs/contracts that you finish, as well as jobs that you provide a full refund for (and thus prevent from appearing in the feedback section of profile), as well as jobs that you close the contract on before doing any work on. I believe that interactions between contractors and clients with which no hire offer is ever issued or even with which no interview or return communication ever takes place can also be considerd in lowering your job application visibity or may also cause your account to be put under review.

Haphazardly submitting job applications is not a good idea. Nor should you haphazardly accept jobs from clients. Don't apply or accept jobs unless you are completely able to do the job, do it well, and finish it on time.

aseembhalla
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
26 of 44

Wow. Seeing all this I can say that you will have to be really lucky if you have done a few projects and your application is still not in the hidden tab or not sent to client at all.

However as OP had stated that these are his own observations. I will like to see an odesk representative respond to this thread and explain clearly which of these points are actually considered by their "Artificial Intelligence" .

sirc_aniloc79
Ace Contributor
Crispiniano C Member Since: Dec 9, 2010
27 of 44

I noticed that for the last 2 months my activities in oDesk has gone very very silent like receiving invitations, very frequent declined invitations, and I noticed that I saw the job posting way too late.  I mean I felt like something is happening and I just can't figure it out until I dig deeper in the forum section.

Moderators, please check my profile for your perusal and please tell me if I'm deserving to experience this  drought. This is my only source of income for my family and I don't know what has been going on but I know there is something very bad going on that is hurting me so so bad.

I've already read starting from the thread starter up until to the last freelancer who commented this thread and scanning all their comments, it summed all my concerns and untimately I came up with three questions.

1. Are my applications automatically dived into the "hidden" folder directly which we did not receive any notification?

2. Are my "work in progress" contracts, which I have 20+, deterred my application to go through for client's review?

3. Is my profile under review? If so, why? Have I done something very bad like breaching oDesk's policies?

Honestly speaking, I'm starting to consider working back in a private company because of what I have experienced here.

Am I not helping the company judging from my profile?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
28 of 44

re: "Have I done something very bad like breaching oDesk's policies?"

Crispiniano:

Contractor accounts are automatically placed in the "under review" status by oDesk's automated algorithms. The algorithms are based on many different criteria and internal performance metrics. The algorithms are intended to minimize exposing clients to sub-optimal contractors.

If your account is put under review or if your job applications are being auto-hidden all the time it does not mean that you did "something very bad" or that you breached oDesk's policies. It means that various computer-recorded measurements and numbers associated with your account combined within automatic algorithms in a certain way that triggered a punitive response.

The algorithms do not always work as intended or as predicted, and they have no way of knowing what kind of contractor or person you really are. Automated algorithms may limit your ability to apply for jobs, or block your job applications entirely, but as far as I know, oDesk does not officially conclude that you have breached their policies unless an actual human looks at your account, which may occur based on notifications or flags generated by the automated algorithms.

Remember that there are literally MILLIONS of contractors on oDesk. It is unlikely that anybody has looked at your account personally and concluded that you did something bad.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
29 of 44
Let me be clear that I am not saying that Crispiniano's account is under review. He would have to check with customer support to know. If he gets any response from clients whose jobs he applies to, even if they do not hire him, it means that his account is NOT under review.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
30 of 44
Also, I am not saying that Crispiniano or anybody whose account is under review is in that state because they are a sub-optimal contractor. I am saying that identifying sub-optimal contractors and contractors who might have violated oDesk policies is the INTENT for these algorithms. Tasked with guessing the quality of millions of contractors based on limited information, the algorithms may not always yield intended results.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS