cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

all the reasons your application is hidden...

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
31 of 44
Today oDesk moderator Valeria helpfully posted a message providing details about why accounts are put under review. I don't know if there is any new information revealed but it is good to receive details directly from an oDesk representative.

She said that oDesk uses "all the information about accounts that we have" in making a decision to put an account under formal review. We know that in the first pass, at least, these are automated decisions.

She cited 4 specific areas that are looked at, while mentioning that this is not a full list of what is looked at:

- public and private feedback
- number of disputes
- reports of policy violations
- amount of jobs that were awarded but never completed

Let me add here that either all of the time or almost all of the time when there are reports of policy violations, these are generated by automated algorithms which are looking for mathematical patterns within collected performance metrics which have been identified by programmers as possibly indicative of policy violations. This does not mean that a contractor actually violated any policy or did anything wrong at all or in any way displeased a client.

One contractor today posted details of his unexpected account termination due to the fact that he was logging into the oDesk website from IP addresses located in both the United States and India. He was doing so at the request of a client whose system required him to log onto a U.S.-based VPN. Nothing there violates any oDesk policy, but he was perceived as violating an oDesk policy because of the type of work he was doing.

The underlying basis for the algorithm that flagged his account based on his perceived login locations may have been an attempt to catch contractors who lie about where they live or who share their contractor account login details with other people in an attempt to have multiple workers use a single contractor account. Both of these things are clearly unethical and clearly violate oDesk policies, so it is good to try to catch such behavior and block those involved from working on oDesk. The problem is not in the intention, but in the execution of the idea. This is an example of what we mean when we say that oDesk's automated algorithms generate false positives.

There has been so much fraudulent behavior by a sub-set of contractors, especially from contractors from certain regions, that the oDesk programmers have felt compelled to create fairly zealous algorithms to try to protect clients and oDesk itself. So although we might want to blame oDesk's faulty automated algorithms, those algorithms were actually created in response to the bad behavior of a sub-set of contractors.
peppee
Petronila O Member Since: Feb 6, 2015
32 of 44

Preston,

i must congratulate you for the professionalism with which you address the concerns of hidden applications.

I am personally having the same problem and have confirmed from support team that my account is NOT under review. My account has excellent feedbacks from my clients and i wonder why my applications are hidden.

All am left to conclude and blame the Algorithims for my predicaments. What is funny is that my applicantions have been visible since 2013, and the problem just started last week when my account was suddenly on the upward trend.

Preston...whats your honest advice? should i quit Odesk or keep applying?

Please search my name Petronila. O. and give me your honest opinion.

Thanks.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
33 of 44

Petronila,

I have to admit that I find your particular case a bit baffling and frustrating, because I think you have a good, professional profile and work history, and you have verified that your account is NOT under review.

From what I can see, your name should be showing up on job applicant lists, but you say it is NOT showing up. If it isn't showing up, I'm pretty sure that clients are NOT seeing your application.

You aren't getting ANY feedback these days? Not rejections? Not even automated letters telling you that a job has been filled?

There HAVE been technical glitches in the past that could only be resolved by back-end help. You may need to persevere in asking Customer Support for help, asking them to find out why your name is now showing up in applicant lists.

One thing that oDesk is rolling out (I've actually seen it) is the new My Stats feature, which would be very helpful to you. Eventually you yourself will see a My Stats link, and you'll be able to see both "public" as well as some back-end statistics that are used in determining how prominently your job applications are seen.

But really, even if you are a pretty bad match for a job, your name should show up in the applicants list. It might just show up in the client's "hidden" list, but still be retrievable by the client. Right now I don't think your name is retrievable at all. It's like it isn't "on review," but still has some OTHER (more obscure) setting that is blocking your applications from being seen.

vorion
Community Leader
Pravin K Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
34 of 44

Hello, Preston

Could you analyze my profile with your expertise?

Full name: Pravin Kumar S

Your open review is highly appreciated Smiley Happy

I am little paranoid after reading this thread Smiley Sad

Thanks & Regards,

Pravin Kumar S

prestonhunter
Community Guru
35 of 44

Pravin,

Your profile must be set to private. If anybody in the forum clicks on your picture, we only see your Community Forum stats, but if we click on NON-private oDesk profiles, we are taken directly to their oDesk profile -- the same profile that potential clients see.

vorion
Community Leader
36 of 44

Thanks, Preston

Now I have modified my community profile's privacy settings. Kindly see if that helps.

Pravin

vorion
Community Leader
37 of 44

Hello, Preston

You find anything bad on my profile? Other than a couple of 4 star rating? Smiley Tongue

I am eagerly awaiting your feedback.

Regards,

Pravin

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
38 of 44

Reading all this I'm starting to feel like Josef K. from Kafka's Process - penalyzed and guilty for something which is out of my control/awareness. I can't force clients to leave me feedback. 

But, I finally received 2-3 invites in last two weeks (I didn't get any for a long period) after I closed many of my idle contracts. There were some old almost two years without any response from client.

Still, I don't get invites as earlier. I was sure after 1000 hours I won't have headaches about applying for jobs, but on contrary, I have a problem getting a job.

I guess it's because alghoritms give advance to fresh freelancers and promotes them more. I would like to erase 70 % of my work history if that would mean more invites. 

Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
39 of 44

Quote: Anybody who knows better please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if you don't see your name on the list of applicants on a job posting page, then it means your name is not on the main list of applicants that a client sees.

I can tell you that even you see your name it does not mean you are not hidden.

gabrielep
Gabriele P Member Since: Dec 2, 2014
40 of 44

Can any experienced user confirm or deny that if you are able to see your name in the list of applicants to a project you just submitted it definitely means that the client can see your application too? Or is this hidden feature so deceitful that hides the fact the you are hidden? Anybody made any kind of test?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS