cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

all the reasons your application is hidden...

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
41 of 44

There is no way of knowing whether a client can see  your application or not - even if you are in the list of applicants (unless a client takes time out to tell you).

Consider it like this. Say you apply online to a company for a job. You get an autoresponse email to let you know you've applied. BUT, there's a member of staff in the company who's taken it on himself to look through all the applications and decide for himself which of those applications get through to the hiring committee - the ones he doesn't like the look of he simply keeps in a "hidden" folder. You have already been notified that you've applied, but you don't get told whether your application will be even seen by the hiring committee. (They might get bored and look in the hiden folder asnd see you, biut it's unlikely)

In this case, the dodgy employee is an oDesk mad robot, some kind of algorithm that oDesk have decided is better than any human at deciding what is or isn't an application fit to be seen by the hiring committee (Client). You are not allowed to know whether the robot has made this decision. The client can actually see your application, but only if s/he decides to look in the "hidden" folder.

It was introduced a year or two ago, and was until now the most universally condemned and despised innovation on oDesk (until maybe some new ones in the last week or two). It's condemned by clients abd freelancers alike, althoughit was obvious from the start that oDesk never had, and never will have, any intention of changing it, because they are absolutely committed to the integrity of their robots/algorithms and have an unwavering faith in their ability to vet applications better than a human can. This despite innumerable examples on these forums that the algorithms they use are often not much better than random. Take a bit of time out and search the forums for a while, if you have the stomach for it.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
42 of 44

@Stephen B wrote:

Say you apply online to a company for a job. You get an autoresponse email to let you know you've applied. BUT, there's a member of staff in the company who's taken it on himself to look through all the applications and decide for himself which of those applications get through to the hiring committee - the ones he doesn't like the look of he simply keeps in a "hidden" folder. You have already been notified that you've applied, but you don't get told whether your application will be even seen by the hiring committee. (They might get bored and look in the hiden folder asnd see you, biut it's unlikely)

In this case, the dodgy employee is an oDesk mad robot, some kind of algorithm that oDesk have decided is better than any human at deciding what is or isn't an application fit to be seen by the hiring committee (Client). 

Stephen,

It's not only on Upwork that application triage is automated. Hiring departments in brick-and-mortar businesses have been doing this for probably longer than since I became aware of it over five years ago. So we don't need to posit a dodgy, self-appointed screener. In the "real world," too, even if one walks into the building and hands the application to a receptionist, it may never be seen by anyone remotely connected to making a decision about it; it may never be read by any human being at all. Of course that says nothing about the quality of the robotic decision in either case.

Best,

Michael

edit: Sorry, Stephen and all, I didn't realize till after the fact that I was replying to a post from May March.

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
43 of 44

I think in these times of trauma and transition we should remember the words of England's immortal bard. As Shakespeare said:

When two tribes go to war
A point is all you can score

Cowboy No. 1
A born-again poor man's son
On the air America
I modelled shirts by Van Heusen-yeah

You know

Working on the black gas

Switch off your shield
Switch off and feel
I'm working on loving-yeah
Giving you back the good times
Ship it out-out
I'm working for the black gas

We got two tribes
We got the bomb
We got the bomb-yeah
Sock it to me biscuits-now

Are we living in a land
Where sex and horror are the new Gods?
Yeah

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
44 of 44

I'll have a pint of what Ramon's on, please.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS