🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: bad feedback to client harms reputation?
Page options
pearlawolf
Community Member

bad feedback to client harms reputation?

Hi!

I've had a bad first job experience with a client on upwork.

To make a long story short, correction feedback on the first draft of the project came late so by the time that I submitted the final work (which was on time) there was no time any more for last corrections as it was a tight deadline. So they terminated the contract and only paid me half the agreed price.
I was so frustrated that I left her a polite but somewhat negative feedback. 

Now I applied to a new job, different client and the proposal was declined with an attached comment 'very unprofessional to leave bad feedback to your clients'.

Is it true? If so how do I fix this?

8 REPLIES 8
jr-translation
Community Member

Perla S wrote:

Hi!

I've had a bad first job experience with a client on upwork.

To make a long story short, correction feedback on the first draft of the project came late so by the time that I submitted the final work (which was on time) there was no time any more for last corrections as it was a tight deadline. So they terminated the contract and only paid me half the agreed price.
I was so frustrated that I left her a polite but somewhat negative feedback. 

Now I applied to a new job, different client and the proposal was declined with an attached comment 'very unprofessional to leave bad feedback to your clients'.

Is it true? If so how do I fix this?

You do not "fix" an honest feedback. That wold be feedback manipulation. You do not want to work for a client that cannot live with an honest feedback.

You had a bad start with a client that probably farmed out the job to you. If his client was late with the reply then you had to suffer the consequences.

You should have disputed the full payment if the money was actually in escrow. Since you did not receive full payment, you might want to have a closer look at this section:

6.4 OWNERSHIP OF WORK PRODUCT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
Upon Freelancer’s receipt of full payment from Client, the Work Product (except for any Background Technology), including without limitation all Intellectual Property Rights in the Work Product (except for any Background Technology), will be the sole and exclusive property of Client, and Client will be deemed to be the author thereof. If Freelancer has any Intellectual Property Rights to the Work Product that are not owned by Client upon Freelancer’s receipt of payment from Client, Freelancer hereby automatically irrevocably assigns to Client all right, title and interest worldwide in and to such Intellectual Property Rights. Except as set forth above, Freelancer retains no rights to use, and will not challenge the validity of Client’s ownership in, such Intellectual Property Rights. Freelancer hereby waives any moral rights, rights of paternity, integrity, disclosure and withdrawal or inalienable rights under applicable law in and to the Work Product. If payment is made only for partial delivery of Work Product, the assignment described herein applies only to the portion of Work Product delivered and paid for.

Have a look what it says in your contract, you might be able to have the work taken down, since you can proof you did not receive full payment, unless you agreed to waive your rights. In case your client sold your work to his client you can just contact this client and inform him about the situation.
It also looks like they hired somebody else to do the job now.
khurram4m
Community Member

It wasn't unprofessional at all but clients who hire fresh freelancer  usually try to exploit them and thats how most of us started our career here ,my first job/client was also a scam and even though I tried hard to complete the job I couldn't because of the negative intentions of client and I also ended up with partial payment.
Just remember you have to take some heat in first few jobs. 

Wish you good luck.

thanks for your encouragement, I appreciate your warm words and advice!! So
you say it's a common occurence to exploit new freelancers on upwork?

Hi Perla,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your client. Check out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. Check out this Help Article as well, to learn more how you`re protected under our Upwork Payment Protection. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Perla. I've read your feedback to your first client, and there was nothing unprofessional about it. Any client who thinks that's unprofessional is not a client I would want to work with.

You do need to be selective about which clients you accept, but i know that's easier said than done when you're just getting started. I guess I was lucky that my early clients were all good ones. I think that was more by luck than judgement.

Perla S wrote:

Yes many new comers report it and I am also an example.  Just keep your cool and try to avoid bad feedbacks(giving or receiving both) as much as you can at least for first few jobs otherwise it may hurt your first JSS.

Khurram J wrote:

Perla S wrote:

Yes many new comers report it and I am also an example.  Just keep your cool and try to avoid bad feedbacks(giving or receiving both) as much as you can at least for first few jobs otherwise it may hurt your first JSS.

I think this is a very dangerous thesis. It is not common at all.

What has not been answered is the question whether the whole amount was in escrow and the freelancer agreed to an refund or if only part of the agreed rate was in escrow and the OP might have done more than requested in the funded milestone.

Jennifer R wrote:

Khurram J wrote:

Perla S wrote:

I think this is a very dangerous thesis. It is not common at all.

What has not been answered is the question whether the whole amount was in escrow and the freelancer agreed to an refund or if only part of the agreed rate was in escrow and the OP might have done more than requested in the funded milestone.

Well it is a debatable subject but of course one can't generlize it however if you look at countless threads where new comers discuss same issue then we can assume it is quit common in one way or another.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths