cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bank data ? are you kidding ????!!!!!

georgiahilton
Georgia H Member Since: Jun 24, 2017
1 of 6

i'm not giving you my back routing data just to  quote  verify I live in the US unquote...   there are way easier and safer ways of doing that...

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 6

Don't provide your bank data to verify your U.S. residency. Provide it so you can have the ability to withdraw money unlimited times and pay zero fees. Honestly, this is a great privilege. No fees, no loss of money when transferring from  Upwork to your account.

It is actually completely safe, but if you don't want to do it, that is fine. You are not required to do so. The number of jobs that actually require U.S. residency is such a small percentage of jobs overall. And you have not earned any money yet. So it really doesn't make any difference at this point.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
3 of 6

@Georgia H wrote:

i'm not giving you my back routing data just to  quote  verify I live in the US unquote...   there are way easier and safer ways of doing that...

Are you referring to giving your routing data to a CLIENT or to Upwork. If it's for Upwork it's perfectly safe. They need it to transfer your money into your bank account.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 6

This has come up a few times recently and seems to have nothing to do with withdrawing funds--multiple freelancers have reported being asked for banking information as part of the verification process (even though they have been using the same bank account to withdraw funds in some cases).

As far as I have seen, no one from Upwork has chosen to clarify this requirement or whether there are alternatives. It would be nice if someone would.

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
5 of 6

I wonder if the type of US bank account plays a role in all of this. For instance, I have two US bank accounts that are linked to both my physical address (NOT in the US) and Paypal listed on the site that does the payment processing for work I do for my private clients.

While I have not depositied funds into these accounts myself, these accounts have routing numbers and everything else that is required for international clients to pay me. This speaks to the fact that having a US bank account does not prove US residency, so can Upwork clarify which types of US bank accounts does prove US residency?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 6

@Georgia H wrote:

See Valeria and Lena's answers to the same subject in this thread:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Proving-I-Live-In-The-United-States/m-p/336794#M16682

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS