Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: blackmail? and what should I do.

jojomo
Community Leader
Joëlle O Member Since: Jan 25, 2013
11 of 19

Well this project was supposed to open up other opportunities similar to this one.... I believe thats what he meant. So not only is he not hiring me on (which is fine), but he's trying to swindle me out of what we agreed.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
12 of 19

If you did the agreed work, you should insist on being paid the agreed amount.

It's unfortunate that this sort of client can try to trade positive feedback for discounted pricing.

At the very least Upwork should remove such client's feedback from the freelancer's account  and JSS calculation without requiring the freelancer to use the Top Rated perk, but I have never seen anyone here confirm that has happened for them.

jojomo
Community Leader
13 of 19

Will L wrote:

If you did the agreed work, you should insist on being paid the agreed amount.

It's unfortunate that this sort of client can try to trade positive feedback for discounted pricing.

At the very least Upwork should remove such client's feedback from the freelancer's account  and JSS calculation without requiring the freelancer to use the Top Rated perk, but I have never seen anyone here confirm that has happened for them.

Absolutely. Clients like this get on my last nerve. That's ok, I think I put him in his place. He has a pretty high feedback score himself... so mine will definitely hurt him and I don't believe he's got a perk to remove it.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 19

The overwhelming majority of normal human beings would never do something like this. Obviously the client was out of line. Most people would know that it is wrong to hire a person and not pay the agreed-upon fee. Even clients who are fundamentally amoral or dishonest would typically be too embarrassed do something like this.

jojomo
Community Leader
15 of 19

Preston H wrote:

The overwhelming majority of normal human beings would never do something like this. Obviously the client was out of line. Most people would know that it is wrong to hire a person and not pay the agreed-upon fee. Even clients who are fundamentally amoral or dishonest would typically be too embarrassed do something like this.

Thanks Preston. I agree and I am offended that he even went there! I could care less about the $35, it's really the principle... He has a real nerve.

I put him in his place and he didn't even acknowledge my response. He just asked for edits as if nothing happened. He will get a well-deserved feedback from me at the end of this.

darrenwall74
Community Leader
Darren w Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
16 of 19

Have you reported his behaviour to Upwork, if yes, what was the response/action taken?

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
BEST ANSWER
17 of 19

Joëlle O wrote:

Hey everyone!

Hope you are all staying safe!

Anyway, I have a quick question. I'm top rated with 100% JSS and have recently been hired to design a quick PDF for a client. We agreed on a $75 fixed rate contract. He sent me the offer and I accepted and I turned it around that same day. This is what he sent me in return:

"Hi Joëlle, thanks for the PDF. Your work was great, but very similar to what the other designer submitted.
Her hourly rate is much lower and it fits our budget better.
Is it fair for you if I pay you $40 for what you've submitted to me and I can leave you a 5 star review?"

Isn't that against TOS and considered blackmail? How would you handle this?

I didn't want to do anything rash but should he be reported?

Thanks!

Joëlle

I think it qualified as feedback manipulation:
Screenshot_2020-04-22 Upwork Legal Center.png

View solution in original post

jojomo
Community Leader
18 of 19

Jennifer R wrote:

Thanks, that's what I thought, that's definitely feedback manipulation.

Also, after I put him in his place, he never actually acknowledged anything, he just requested changes. I did the changes as he asked and he still hasn't approved the milestone. He's probably doing it on purpose, making me wait the 14 days to approve it. I don't want to wait and want out of the contract.... so I will have to contact someone.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 19

Joëlle O wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Thanks, that's what I thought, that's definitely feedback manipulation.

Also, after I put him in his place, he never actually acknowledged anything, he just requested changes. I did the changes as he asked and he still hasn't approved the milestone. He's probably doing it on purpose, making me wait the 14 days to approve it. I don't want to wait and want out of the contract.... so I will have to contact someone.

Just wait out the 14 days if that's what's going on. You lose nothing this way. Who cares if he's doing it on purpose.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS