cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

block clients without verified payment method?

hamiltonjames20
Ace Contributor
James H Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
1 of 18

Is it possible to block clients without a verified payment method?

I see that as far back as 2014 it was suggested that such clients shouldn't be able to post a job. I would like to see that, but sadly it seems that one isn't going anywhere.

Anyway, rather than have to block each individual scammer who contacts me, I'd like to be able to block clients without verified payment methods. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 18

Hi James,

Currently we have no plans to prevent clients with unverified payment methods from posting jobs. However, our team is working on adding a filter to exclude clients with unverified payment methods from job search.

~ Valeria
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 18

A lot of scammers have verified payment methods, and even past jobs they've paid on.

joaodealmeida
Ace Contributor
Joao A Member Since: Feb 2, 2016
4 of 18

True Tiffany, but as freelancer I would appreciate to filter the verified payment clients on my search!

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 18

If you filter out all the clients with non-verified payment, you could be filtering out a really great gig. It is better to check (as far as is possible) the client's track record.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 18

Yay! I can't wait for this to be implemented and hope that all my competitors use it.

susanmccall
Ace Contributor
Susan M Member Since: Feb 14, 2016
7 of 18

@Nichola L wrote:

If you filter out all the clients with non-verified payment, you could be filtering out a really great gig. It is better to check (as far as is possible) the client's track record.

The only issue I have is Upwork says, 'while you do not have to ignore clients without verified payment methods, Upwork cannot gaurantee payment'.

I guess I'm too scaredy-cat to test this out - regardless if the client appears to have a great track record...

Must be I'm still green at this... lol  :-)

colettelewis
Community Guru
8 of 18

Upwork will guarantee payment - up to a point - if a freelancer follows all the recommended steps, whether the job is hourly or fixed-rate. However, if you start a fixed-rate job with 'escrow funded', but the client still has to verify payment, then there could be a problem. Upwork always warns you though, if you are about to do this.

Recognizing a client's intent comes with experience, and there you are on your own. Upwork cannot give any insurance against scammers, and sometimes, even the most experienced freelancer can fall into a trap.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 18

@Nichola L wrote:

Upwork will guarantee payment - up to a point - if a freelancer follows all the recommended steps, whether the job is hourly or fixed-rate. However, if you start a fixed-rate job with 'escrow funded', but the client still has to verify payment, then there could be a problem. Upwork always warns you though, if you are about to do this.

This one confuses me. I know it happens, but I don't understand how a client can fund escrow without verifying his payment method.

colettelewis
Community Guru
10 of 18

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

This one confuses me. I know it happens, but I don't understand how a client can fund escrow without verifying his payment method.

A client with unverified payment, can show willing by accepting a bid and 'potentially' funding escrow. It is up to the freelancer to make sure that monies have actually been funded before sendng the work. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS