🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » blocking clients
Page options
ewaolszewska1
Community Member

blocking clients

Hello, I have a weird situation with one of my previous clients. He demanded from me much more work than he actually wanted to pay for. I did more than I should within the price he paid because I was scared to get a bad rating. I have still an open contract with him and I want to end it but again I'm scared of a bad rating. What will happen if I will just block him? I would really love to just forget about that client.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Hmmm... Blocking a client with whom you have an OPEN CONTRACT is an unusual move.

I'm not even sure if the Upwork user interface allows you to do that.

My advise:

Don't block a client with whom you have an active contract.

But then the question becomes:
What SHOULD you do?

Let's consider you REASON for not wanting to talk to him:

He is asking you to work for free.
That is a violation of Upwork ToS.

That also MAKES NO SENSE for you to do.

You came here to earn money, not to do charity work for people you don't even know.

Any client who asks a freelancer to work for free is simply being sillly, and ultimately self-defeating. As a client, I can assure you that I do NOT WANT freelancers working for me for free. I don't think any freelancer in such a situation will take the situation seriously. I don't think I'll get their best work. And they may well do nothing at all.

So that provides us with a basic philosophical position from which we proceed.

So you really have TWO choices:

- close the contract

- don't close the contract

No matter what, you should always be polite and professional in how you communicate.

If you decide to close the contract, you may CHOOSE between telling the client EXACTLY why you are closing the contract, or not providing him those details. Will it benefit YOU to criticize the client? Probably not. You are ALLOWED to close the contract at any time, and you don't have to provide a long explanation of the real reasons why. You are allowed to simply say: "Thank you for the opportunity to work on the project. My situation has changed and I will no longer be working on these types of projects. I will be closing the contract within the next few days. Let me now if you have any final questions or need me to re-send any files."

If you do this, you are HELPING THE CLIENT out by informing him that you won't be working for him any more and providing him with information and files that he may need to pass on to new hires or other members of the team.

Remember that if you decide to stop working on the contract, you are not negotiating. You are INFORMING the client about what is going to happen.

ALTERNATIVELY...

You may choose to decide to continue working for this client.

If you do so, then just make sure you take charge of the situation.

You may ignore inappropriate messages or requests from the client. Or you may choose to explicitly explain why the request was inappropriate, and why he won't do that again in the future.

There is not just one solution for every situation and every client. The simple truth is that many clients are AWESOME. But there are also many people who don't know how to be a good client, and sometimes a good freelancer can HELP them. When you see a really noble, successful, well-spoken, polished CEO... Do you know for sure if he was always that way? Many of them were NOT. Many of them were slobs or brutes or cavemen before an assertive assistant TOLD them how to act, how to dress, and how to talk.

It is possible that you are in a situation that you should simply leave immediately. But it is also possible that you are in a situation that you can turn around by ALWAYS BILLING FOR ALL OF YOUR TIME and helping the client to know how to behave appropriately in his interactions with you.

Actually, I did the job one month ago. I send all files that were pointed in the contract I did even much more than it was in the contract but there is an option to add a milestone and I wish to end it. I suspect that the guy wants to get back those 40 $... I really took this job because it was from my niche and thought it will be interesting and maybe will drive my more jobs this kind in the future. My hourly rate is 35-40 $ and that guy afterward wrote to me like 3-4 times per day and expected that I will be answering endlessly his questions. In the beginning, I was quite polite because I was believing I'm helping someone but it appears he just wanted to use me, and even now after one month I still go back to that project because I see some actions around that contract: its suspended second time. Maybe I will just end it when they will bring it back and it will be active(now is suspended). and I will accept the fact that I may get a bad rating for nothing. A good lesson for the future: never take low-paid jobs. 

I didn't realize you were working for this client using a fixed-price contract.

The only reasonable decisions are for you to stop working for him commpletely, or end the fixed-price contract and work for him only using an hourly contract.

I just ended this contract. Thank you for your help. I guess it is a cost of life. You never know whom you will meet and you just have to believe that it's gonna be good. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members