Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

budget

amous2b
Amy C Member Since: Apr 15, 2016
1 of 4

1st question,

If a client has a budget of $200 and wants 10 people to work on the project is the budget split between the 10 people or $200 per freelancer?

2nd question,

Should a freelancer's bid be the same as the client's budget or is it better to bid lower.

taustinray
Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 4

@Amy C wrote:

1st question,

If a client has a budget of $200 and wants 10 people to work on the project is the budget split between the 10 people or $200 per freelancer?

2nd question,

Should a freelancer's bid be the same as the client's budget or is it better to bid lower.

In regards to the first question, that's really something you need work out with the client and make sure that's understood. Initially, I would approach it as it's $200/freelancer.

As for the second question, you should bid on what you think your time is worth based on the project details. It they say their budget is $200 and you feel your time is $200, bid that. I've seen freelancers bid higher than the budget. Like I said in another post, most clients actually don't know what they want or what is really involved in getting what they want. Ones that are serious will adjust and be more willing to pay the proper rate for the job.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 4

Agree with everything Tom said. There's no consistent answer to your first question as clients have no better understanding than you do and use that field differently.

I have landed jobs on Upwork where I bid higher than the posted budget, and know others who have as well. The only time I take budget into account is if it's so disproportionately low that it's clear that the client isn't willing to pay reasonable rates.

amous2b
Amy C Member Since: Apr 15, 2016
4 of 4

Thank you Tom and Tiffanny. This info was very useful and encouraging. I appreciate it greatly.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS