cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

call center representative and i got hired

beairdrowena
Rowena B Member Since: Dec 30, 2016
1 of 8

Okay, today I got hired from **Edited for Community Guidelines** as a call center representative although she asked  me to buy a checksoft software to get installed on my laptop and ofcourse I bought one in the office depot physically and then later on she ask me to get an airway bill and envelop from fedex and I dont have idea for what because it sound like I'm doing a payrol officer instead of a call center representative, the later on she asked me intalled my team viewer and asked for my ID and password to it, but i feel like Its not secure to do that because they can actually access to my laptop so i didnt give her my id and password.I went through all the interview and so on and after a long interview I got hired and required me to do all the above and she said they pacheck will be via mail.So what I'm asking is you guys judge it I am a victim of a scam or not although she never ask such a confidential information,she just asked my name and address which is I'm not worried about because I dont have nothing on my name, like seriously there is nothing they could steal from me.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

It's a scam.  You should immediately quit speaking with this person and report the job to Upwork customer support.

Accepting payment off the platform is a huge ToS violation and puts your account at significant risk.

You should be reading everything you can on how Upwork functions and what the rules are.

View solution in original post

beairdrowena
Rowena B Member Since: Dec 30, 2016
3 of 8

Thanks for the reply it was very helpful, that was actually I'm thinking because my sister work in upwork and shes said she got paycheck from upwork and although my husband probably get pissed lol because he spent like 50 dollars on software in office depot,good thing though its 90 days money guarantee.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 8

@Rowena B wrote:

Thanks for the reply it was very helpful, that was actually I'm thinking because my sister work in upwork and shes said she got paycheck from upwork and although my husband probably get pissed lol because he spent like 50 dollars on software in office depot,good thing though its 90 days money guarantee.

If you bought legit software from Office Depot, it's still useful and a tax writeoff. If it's unopened, you can probably return it.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 8

What Christy said, and to add - unless the job is shown under "My Jobs", you're not hired.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 8

When does any HR person introduce themselves as Mrs/Mr anything? Maybe a secretary introducing a CEO or something but some HR person? No.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 8

Hi Rowena,

As others pointed out already, the job you are referring to seems to be violating Upwork ToS. I'll forward it to the team so they could review and take appropriate actions.

Please, check out this post for more information about avoiding questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 8

ROWENA - As a freelancer you shouldn't have to buy or pay for anything for a specific job. If you need something, such as equipment or software, then the client should open an active contract with the first milestone Fully funded for the amount of the equipment/software and that should be released to you BEFORE you go out and purchase it.

Also, if told by a client that you need to pay for a special tex, registration fee, or fees for certain paperwork, do not do that. Clients pay Freelancers, freelancers don't pay clients for anything.

The other milestones should then be funded for the scope of work to be done Before you start working on them.

All financial transactions must be conducted on this site. Do not acceot payment by a check sent to you, or a deposit made to your paypal or credit card account. Payments to you should be deposited into Upworks's escrow account and released to you when you finish the work.

And in the future, do not give out ANY personal information no matter what the client may tell you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS