🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: can I cancel contract without bad feedbac...
Page options
kateshoshia
Community Member

can I cancel contract without bad feedback and JSS

Hi! 

I get the job for 5 $ contract, so I thought I will do the work fast and get a good review, I submitted the work in a half-hour, then the client didn't respond on time, then he gave me some form where I should add all this information. So long story short I didn't hear from him for almost two days (and I submitted work in a half-hour)   so I am sure he will not write me a good review or not sure if he will pay at all but I don't want anything just want to end this contract, so if I will, will it impact on my profile?  He didn't submit my work so I don't have payment from him, does it make sense?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Ketevani S wrote:

I get the job for 5 $ contract, so I thought I will do the work fast and get a good review, I submitted the work in a half-hour, then the client didn't respond on time, then he gave me some form where I should add all this information. So long story short I didn't hear from him for almost two days (and I submitted work in a half-hour) 

Clients have 14 days to review submitted work. If they don't do anything, the funds are released to you automatically if you submitted correctly through the contract's "Submit for payment" function.

Ketevani S wrote:

I don't want anything just want to end this contract, so if I will, will it impact on my profile?  He didn't submit my work so I don't have payment from him, does it make sense?

Yes. It will count as an unsuccessful contract in your metrics. That would be a bad idea.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
petra_r
Community Member

Ketevani S wrote:

I get the job for 5 $ contract, so I thought I will do the work fast and get a good review, I submitted the work in a half-hour, then the client didn't respond on time, then he gave me some form where I should add all this information. So long story short I didn't hear from him for almost two days (and I submitted work in a half-hour) 

Clients have 14 days to review submitted work. If they don't do anything, the funds are released to you automatically if you submitted correctly through the contract's "Submit for payment" function.

Ketevani S wrote:

I don't want anything just want to end this contract, so if I will, will it impact on my profile?  He didn't submit my work so I don't have payment from him, does it make sense?

Yes. It will count as an unsuccessful contract in your metrics. That would be a bad idea.

nayab-s
Community Member

Hi Petra,

What if I wait for the 14 days and the funds are released to me. If I end the contract after that, will it impact my JSS? And also, will the client still have the right to leave a feedback? 

Thank you!

Hello Nayab,

Thank you for your message. 

Yes, your Client can still leave feedback on the ended contract anytime within the next 14 days. JSS will be affected only if your Client leaves low ratings on your feedback. Please see this link for more info about what affects your score.

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork

Hey Pradeep

My UpWork client added a milestone to an existing contract. Now he does not require my service. She requested me to end the contract and release the payment. However, I fear if I do that it will adversely affect my JSS. Obviously, I dont want any payment for the work I haven't done but I also don't want to have an adverse impact on my JSS. Could you help me out? Shall I end the contract and give her refund without affecting my profile(JSS)

Regards

petra_r
Community Member

Adnan K wrote:

She requested me to end the contract and release the payment. However, I fear if I do that it will adversely affect my JSS.

It will not affect anything at all unless the client were to leave poor feedback.

addibaba
Community Member

Thanks for the help. Really helpful 

patanwala_husain
Community Member

If you belive you have delivered what the client needed, Then you can submit the file for payment. If the client doesn't approve it in 14 days, Upwork will pay you. But if you want to refund the amount and want to cancel the contract, You can. And it won't affect you JSS negatively until the client leaves negative feedback on that contract.

Husain P wrote:

But if you want to refund the amount and want to cancel the contract, You can. And it won't affect you JSS negatively until the client leaves negative feedback on that contract.

You are wrong!

Contracts that end with nothing paid and no (private) feedback *DO* affect the JSS (which she hasn't even got yet!)

Don't give advice that can wreck someone's metrics before they even got started. Thank you!

no earnings.png

But still better than letting clients spoiling your profile. Up-to you.

Husain P wrote:

Why would "the client spoil her profile?"

She did the work. There is no indication that the client would give poor feedback.

And the statement that "nothing paid" contracts don't affect the JSS unless the client leaves poor feedback remains wrong.

Husain P wrote:

A low JSS score will also spoil your profile. And she doesn't even know whether the client is going to leave bad feedback - she says that it's been less than two days, and it's still the middle of the night in some parts of the world. I don't understand why some freelancers start fretting whenever a client doesn't get back to them immediately. Just because you're in a hurry to get paid doesn't mean that a client has to hurry up and review your work.

Thanks 🙂 

Ketevani S wrote:

Thanks 🙂 

Sorry for responding to the other poster before addressing your question. When you say that the client asked you to fill out a form, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that he gave you extra work, or did he ask you to fill out a form in order to get paid?

It became confusing, that's why I am disappointed,  firstly the project was for 30 $ and more research and ofc that was more interesting for me, then he sends me a 5 $ offer but I was like a-ok I will do it. so he said I should send him this work, then he said I need to fill out this form and there shouldn't be match work from other freelancers, (so it became double work for me, I made research, send him during the half-hour and then at the evening he said about the form and other freelancers ) 

Also, I want to ask is it ok when the client asks about skype communication after the hiring? 

At least that was a good lesson for me to not take (confusing) jobs like this 

Ketevani S wrote:

It became confusing, that's why I am disappointed,  firstly the project was for 30 $ and more research and ofc that was more interesting for me, then he sends me a 5 $ offer but I was like a-ok I will do it. so he said I should send him this work, then he said I need to fill out this form and there shouldn't be match work from other freelancers, (so it became double work for me, I made research, send him during the half-hour and then at the evening he said about the form and other freelancers ) 

Also, I want to ask is it ok when the client asks about skype communication after the hiring? 

Yes, after you've been hired, it's okay to speak using whatever system you want.

It sounds like you should have turned down this job after the client changed from $30 to $5; good clients don't do things like that. Anyway, did you submit your work properly (using the "submit" button)? Then you'll get paid automatically after 14 days. But don't be in a rush to close this project; just leave it, don't send any more messages, and he might not bother giving you a review. He got his work done for a really cheap price, so he has no reason to complain; I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Yes, I will just wait, thanks for the advice 🙂

You are right, it was a lesson for me, another time I will not do so cheap works for sure !

66ecf5bc
Community Member

Hi Ketevani,

You know there are 14 days for the acceptance and review of the submitted projects by the buyer.  If in this case, the buyer is not responding, your order will be automatically completed after 14 days. 

If the buyer didn't respond for two days, it doesn't mean that he has not liked your work or will not approve at all.

Better, you wait for the automatic completion of your project if the client does not come back. At least, there will not be negative feedback and you will also receive the payment as well.

Best of luck.

Thanks

https://www.coupongot.com/

Naheed M wrote:

Hi Ketevani,

You know there are 14 days for the acceptance and review of the submitted projects by the buyer.  If in this case, the buyer is not responding, your order will be automatically completed after 14 days. 

If the buyer didn't respond for two days, it doesn't mean that he has not liked your work or will not approve at all.

Better, you wait for the automatic completion of your project if the client does not come back. At least, there will not be negative feedback and you will also receive the payment as well.

Best of luck.

Thanks

I can't understand why you take to answering only to repeat what others have already said.

78552c17
Community Member

Hello,
I got a contract on upwork, the client explained to me that it is easy job, just to create account and join on his website. Said that he will send me a contract and any additional information about the job we will discuss on whatsapp. I accepted, but then he asked me for personal information and ID card. I can't provide that to him. Now I want to cancel the contract,, but don't want bad review on my account, since I can't do this job. Any advice?

Hi, 

If you cancel the contract and refund the full amount, the review won't appear on your profile. However, It may impact your JSS only if the client leaves bad private feedback. 

alejandrg
Community Member

It was said here that a full refund will result in the client's review not showing up on the freelancer's profile.

But if I haven't logged a single hour on the project (or deleted all the logs) - will the client's review show up and affect the JSS? What if I realized that the client is a problematic client type and I no longer want to work with them?

I think it would be fair to not allow clients to leave feedback in such cases and don't count such contracts in the JSS. As far as I remember it used to be this way some time ago

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths