🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » can I share my skype and whatsapp number with...
Page options
bharadhan94
Community Member

can I share my skype and whatsapp number with clients if the client ask

The client is asking for skype and whatsapp number to discuss about the project, whether I should share it or not , I think the upwork has updated its terms and conditions.

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes, you may share your Whatsapp number or Skype handle with a client.

There is no rule against doing so.

[UPDATE (29 Aug. 2021): This is an older post. The policy was CHANGED on June 26, 2020. The CURRENT RULE states that all communication must take place on the Upwork platform until an official Upwork contract is in place.]

Preston H really can I share my skype or WhatsApp number on clients' demand.

petra_r
Community Member

Sahil R wrote:

Preston H really can I share my skype or WhatsApp number on clients' demand.

Not anymore, unless you are already properly hired with an Upwork contract in place. Preston's response is from over a year ago, when different rules applied

4a464faf
Community Member

Ohh no but I shared because my clients also say me that it's fine you can
share and then I read Upwork old answer.

Please help me. now what should i do.
petra_r
Community Member

Sahil R wrote:
Ohh no but I shared because my clients also say me that it's fine you can
share and then I read Upwork old answer.

Please help me. now what should i do.

Tell the client in Upwork messages that you made a mistake, have since been advised that it is strictly forbidden to communicate with a client until a contract is in place. Tell the client that you are allowed to communicate on Upwork only. Then block the client on Skype and take a screenshot in case you may need to prove it later.

4a464faf
Community Member

Thanks, Upwork Community.

I followed the instructions and won't revise this mistake again in future.

Hi Sahil,

Thank you for reaching out to us. As Petra already shared please let your client know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Nikola
Upwork
4a464faf
Community Member

Ok, but I have already told him about it and blocked him on Whatsapp.

Thanks.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members