🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » can I share my whatsapp number with clients d...
Page options
bharadhan94
Community Member

can I share my whatsapp number with clients during interview

A client is asking for my WhatsApp number at the time of interview if a client asks for discussion

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Bharadhan, 

I would like to confirm that you can use any third-party software to communicate with your client as this is not a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

However, I would recommend that you communicate with clients who respond to your proposals through the platform, and use Messages for communicating with prospective clients for security reasons, at least until you're hired for the job and can see a contract under your My Jobs tab. It's always best to submit contract negotiations (and work) through the Upwork platform and Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes.

Thank you is there any anything against upwork rules

Hi Bharadhan, 

I would like to confirm that you can use any third-party software to communicate with your client as this is not a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

However, I would recommend that you communicate with clients who respond to your proposals through the platform, and use Messages for communicating with prospective clients for security reasons, at least until you're hired for the job and can see a contract under your My Jobs tab. It's always best to submit contract negotiations (and work) through the Upwork platform and Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

~ Avery
Upwork

But the client is asking I have provided my number should I do or not

Give him your number.

There is no rule against it.

Talk to us if you have any questions.

Ok

Ok thank you
amssbd
Community Member

Thanks for the information. it's really helpful.

Hello, Upwork company my client is asking to share the what's app with him to communicate clearly but he says to pay payment through Upwork, he couldn't communicate so, he asked me to share what's an app with him.

He works in the mountain so, due to network problems we cannot communicate through zoom call, Upwork call many times, it's difficult to connect and communicate so, can I share what's app with my client Upwork?

But he pays my payment through upwork,
So, can I share what's app id with my client to provide the best service to him

Can I share what's app with him or not?

Thank you,
Best regards
Krima**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi,

You cannot share your whatsapp number before a contract is started on Upwork.

My contract has already started
I have started to work with him seven days
We can't communicate clearly with him
We have tried so many times

So, can I share my what's app with him
I want to inform you that our contract has been started already from 7 days

He works in the mountain region nowadays, so we want to discuss the project
properly

Upwork calls, zoom calls, all are not functioning properly we have tried
many times

And My contract has been already started from seven days
He is happy with my work
But he says to pay my payment through Upwork
He is a very honest client

So, can I share my what's app if with him
because upwork calls are not functioning properly due to a network problem

My contract has been already started so, can I share what's app with him?

Thank you
Best regards

Once you have a contract, you can communicate any way that works best.  However, I would suggest that you submit your work through Upwork (I usually submit through email and also Upwork).

So, there is no problem with sharing what's app with my client because the contract has been already started,
Thank you,

Best regards,

Hi Krima,

Once a contract is in place you may use any communication methods you choose. However, we find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result, the potential for these harmful behaviors decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent on Upwork do so by going off the platform. To learn more about staying safe on Upwork, click here.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members