🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: can rate be changed after client decline ...
Page options
christinagray00
Community Member

can rate be changed after client decline of proposal?

If a client declined my proposal because my rate was too high, is there a way to resubmit with a lower rate? When I go into my Proposals section now it does not appear that I can edit or resubmit to that job although it is still open. I don't see a way to message the client either.

This one job is perfect for me, and I am somewhat flexible on the rate. The client never even reached out to me to ask if I'd go lower. For future reference.... is it OK to mention that my rate is negotiable in my proposal cover letter - if I am flexible for a specific project?

Thanks!
Christina

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Christina G wrote:

If a client declined my proposal because my rate was too high, is there a way to resubmit with a lower rate?

No.

Christina G wrote:

The client never even reached out to me to ask if I'd go lower. 

They rarely will (and when they do I tend to take that as a red flag, to be honest.)  Clients tend to get a heap of proposals, they don't usually have the time or inclination to even read every one.

Christina G wrote:

If a client declined my proposal because my rate was too high, is there a way to resubmit with a lower rate? When I go into my Proposals section now it does not appear that I can edit or resubmit to that job although it is still open. I don't see a way to message the client either.

This one job is perfect for me, and I am somewhat flexible on the rate. The client never even reached out to me to ask if I'd go lower. For future reference.... is it OK to mention that my rate is negotiable in my proposal cover letter - if I am flexible for a specific project?

It is ok, but (in my opinion) should be used sparingly if at all, and brings with it another bunch of potential issues (if you win an hourly contract at considerably less than your profile rate, future clients wonder why they are supposed to pay X when another client pays Y)

It also does not help if the client does not read the proposal (there is little or no point in a client reading a proposal if it is clearly (way) beyond budget.

Thanks for your quick response! 

My bid was in line with the average bid on the project so I can't believe it was WAY over their budget, although looking at some of their previous jobs, they did tend to favor a slightly lower than standard industry rate.

I have a bit of a struggle because there are several different types of jobs that I bid on off of this site and they can have drastically different hourly rates - editing/proofreading versus senior IT project management for example. My profile tends to reflect the "expert" rate for the ongoing work that I would prefer to always get, but I do sometimes take smaller lower rate or flat rate jobs for the work and experience (and if I just like them!)... Hopefully, that doesn't hurt me in the long run. 

Thanks!
Christina

Just had a thought... is it possible to have multiple profiles? Then I could have one for my editing/proofreading/writing work and one for IT PM work. (Which not only have different rates but are totally different types of work!) 

Christina G wrote:

Just had a thought... is it possible to have multiple profiles? Then I could have one for my editing/proofreading/writing work and one for IT PM work. (Which not only have different rates but are totally different types of work!) 

Not different profiles as such, but different parts to your profile, if your.

categories are supported.

Form Upwork: "Create up to two different versions of your profile to more effectively highlight your individual specialties. Learn more"

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members