Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't get a job

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
sabrina i Member Since: Oct 4, 2015
1 of 16

Hi

As I mentionned, I'm having trouble getting hired here, although I'm here for more than 4 months now, and i got a job before and accomplished it successfully, and my proposals are well written with no grammar mistakes.

I'm really giving up on upwork 

I don't know what is the secret of success here, but I sure don't have it.

Any advices to help me, or maybe you can share your experience 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
2 of 16

Sabrina:

I would offer to review your profile, but you have it set to Private.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 16
Hi Cheryl
I just fixed this you can see it now thank you
Highlighted
Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
4 of 16

Hi Sabrina,

One of the super powers of graphic designers is their portfolio. 

If I were to hire a graphic designer, I would probably not care what they have to say. I would just look at the portfolio. 

There is no secret recipe on this platform, but I would recommend to show more work. Your best work.

You said you have 7 years of experience. That's a lot of time. I am sure you have more than 4 items to show.

At this moment, based on your 4 portfolio items I would not even think to hire you for 22$ / hour.

I don't want to be rude but freelancing is a competition and we all need to show and work our best skills.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
5 of 16

@Cristian F wrote:

Hi Sabrina,

I don't want to be rude but freelancing is a competition and we all need to show and work our best skills.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ 

It is kinda not nice to say that if you don't say why it's not to your standards. You could have offered a little advice lik Andrea did. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
6 of 16

Hy cristian 

Thank you for rplying even though you were a little bit rough Smiley Tongue.

As for my portfolio, actually yes I've 7 years of experience but it was for my hometown companies so it was mostly in Arabic and sometimes in French that's why i didn't post them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
7 of 16

Hi, 

Sorry you're having a heck of a time, but it gets better. I'm not exactly rollin' in the dough here, but I'm busy with what I got, and I'm happy with the jobs I have. 

I had a job with very little hours and I had it for 7 months. After that job closed, it took almost a year to get more work. Oh sure, I had a few little jobs in the meanwhile, but nothing long term to say it even lasted a week! lol. Looking back on it now, I can't believe it took me that long, but, then again, I wasn't looking for work consistently, and I'm kind of picky. My current clients and a couple of previous clients set the bar pretty high in the coolness factor. Smiley Happy  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
8 of 16

Sabrina,

the first great move was to set your profile to public.

Then, since you're a graphic designer, if I were you I would re-think your profile. Put yourself in your clients' shoes for a moment, and ask yourself 'Why should they choose me instead of another freelancer?'

You don't have a strong work history on here, but when we started we all had the very same problem. How to face it? First of all, don't give up. Never. You're a graphic designer, creativity should be one of your best assets, so try to impress your possible clients - do not boast yourself, just highlight your best features by making the most of your knowledge in this field.

Good luck!

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
9 of 16
This widget could not be displayed.

@sabrina i wrote:

Hi

As I mentionned, I'm having trouble getting hired here, although I'm here for more than 4 months now, and i got a job before and accomplished it successfully, and my proposals are well written with no grammar mistakes.

I'm really giving up on upwork 

I don't know what is the secret of success here, but I sure don't have it.

Any advices to help me, or maybe you can share your experience 

You have sold your work (design of a brochure) to a client from a very rich country (UAE) for 1 USD, the budget originally was 5 USD which is dramatically low already. If you do this, nobody will believe in the quality of your work. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
10 of 16

Hi Margarete

Actually that was my first job here on upwork, and most designer tend to set themselves low to gain that first job

And the job was for  5 $, but I had a problem with my client, we didn't get along, and he ended the job before I submit my design, so I was paid  1 $ instead of 5.

Anyway it was a bad exprience .

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS