🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » can upwork and client stop? they both doing f...
Page options
shaukat5489
Community Member

can upwork and client stop? they both doing fraud with freelancer

Upwork not responding and client doing fraud very soon to upwork freelancer and especially me

I got a job in upwork and in which a client paid upwork as bonus $2360 and he also paid upwork charges $286.  The job is i send $1550 to **Edited for Community Guidelines** andi pay $1550 as client reruirement.

I attached invoices below. But still I do not confirm if invoices attached and client pay to upwork. Why do we not get money from upwork? and client cancel the job and all money return to client thats totally bad for me.

Client pressure that we do the assigned task immediately. First Time i faced too much issue was that I did not get upwork support immediately. I trust in upwork. I hope that upwork does not disappoint me.

I don't know how to get this payment again. I already completed the assigned task.

please contact me fast so i get payment from upwork .

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

33 REPLIES 33
elisa_b
Community Member

The client "paid" you to pay somebody else...?

yes, and he doing more like this to other freelancer. But upwork still sleeping.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Upwork may be sleeping, but freelancers must be totally awake.

I feel sorry for you, but this is a classic scam that could have been easily avoided, had you dedicated some time to educate yourself first about the rules before jumping into "work".

before payment i contact upwork but i not get any help. No phone number work. Everthing bad

There was actually no need to contact Upwork - every info you needed was (is) featured in the terms of service you accepted when you signed up to the platform.

but i need my money from upwork, when he paid to upwork for me, then how upwork return to client without any discussion to freelancers.

Because most probably the credit card used by the client was stolen, so the payment was reversed by the bank - not by Upwork.

i not agree, here upwork need to change such kind of payment control. If cliet pay from card, Then card balance is good, Its ccheckd from upowrk at any cost.

I need my money because client doing and creating different account.

If you see the scammer creating additional accounts, then inform Upwork.

Upwork runs tiny charges several times when the card is presented. The card shows as good because the bank hasn't put a hold on it yet. By the time you do the job, the bank has discovered the card number was stolen.

re: "but i need my money from upwork, when he paid to upwork for me, then how upwork return to client without any discussion to freelancers."

Sorry.

That's not how this works.

re: "There was actually no need to contact Upwork - every info you needed was (is) featured in the terms of service you accepted when you signed up to the platform."

And if you have any questions about any of this, you may ask questions here in the Community Forum.

bobafett999
Community Member

In simple words you were scammed.

its true i scammed by client. But upwork involved in this, I want my money $2360 that i sent to given information from client. But upwork is our head so i need money from upwork or from client. need upwork help

martina_plaschka
Community Member

1. You are not a bank and should not do money transfers.

2. Upwork is not a bank and does not allow freelancers to do money transfers.

3. Paying or getting paid outside of upwork is strictly forbidden. 

This is a typical scam where the client pretends to pay you and you send your own money to someone else. Why does the client not send this money directly to another person without having to pay you? It makes no sense. The client will be suspended for using a fraudulent credit card, and your profile is at risk for being in violation of ToS. 

Client hire me for this bad activity and force me that you need to pay and compelte the task. I need my money I not want to become the scam from clinet and upwork. Upwork need to foucs on such kind of people. If client acount suspended when upwork give money to client. Upwork need to need the money to my account as i provided the proof that i need $2360 from client 

The client didn't force you to do a thing. You made a choice to break the rules because for some reason you thought your skills were suddenly earning you a ridiculous fee. You didn't have a client, you had a scammer. You violated the rules.

There is no money, there never was any money. Learn the rules and abide by them if you want to be a freelancer. You have no proof - the money was never there, and is nowhere now because it never existed.

Work on learning the rules and then finding real clients. You have to let this go, even though it's not easy.

ericaandrews
Community Member

You got scammed because the activity you were engaged in was not a legitimate job, but what is called money laundering.  There is no legitimate job on Upwork where you simply 'funnel' money to other people. There's no legitimate, legal  job that I am aware of where you make money getting paid to simply 'pass' money on to somebody else. That's not a job. Sorry. You didn't 'send' any money to a third person. You sent it to the same client using a fake name, who tricked you and took your $1550. You literally broke almost every single TOS rule Upwork has. Stop chasing 'get rich quick' schemes, stick to legitimate jobs and doing honest work for honest pay, follow the Upwork rules, and you won't get scammed so easily. 

Whn client pay to upwork and he also pay upwork fee. Then why upwork refund the money to client. 

ANd why upwork not support us and no Number for call is working. Upwork not stop these kind of client ourself. I informed and then not get solution to get this money 

shaukat5489
Community Member

i want you try the best solution so i get money back from client

re: "i want you try the best solution so i get money back from client"

I am very sorry about what happened.

I know for certain that this must feel terrible.

But you will not be able to move forward if you continue to have desire for that money.

You will need to remove from your heart and brain all desire for that money. You will need to stop thinking about it.

Your goal now must be to learn what you did wrong, so that you will not make those same mistakes again in the future.

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

I have been noticing this for more than a year, except for a 1-2 cases, every case reported here involving money transfer, buying PUBG UC or Crypto has a victim from Pakistan. 

At this point, I am not sure if Pakistanis are more likely to fall for such scams involving quick money or are scammers targeting Pakistanis. 

we need to stop this, because he adding more freelancers and doing fraud. I need my money from upwork as invoice attached.

Upwork says they suspended his account. However, that doesn't prevent the scammers from returning again, and again, and again.

The scammers will only stop when freelancers such as yourself stop breaking the rules because they think they will get a lot of money for little work. I guarantee you any ads for high dollars for no skills or nonsense like "copytyping", "rewriting PDF to word", etc. are scams.

You have to let go of the your money viewpoint. You were scammed because you broke the rules. There is no money - who do you think is going to pay you?

Jeanne H wrote:

There is no money - who do you think is going to pay you?

The answer is we would be paying for any compensation Upwork would give to a freelancer in a case such as this. I think 20 percent is enough commission. It would have to be higher if it covered losses incurred by people violating ToS.

Everybody needs to read this:

Top Red Flags for Scams: From Community Membe... - Upwork Community

"I guarantee you any ads for high dollars for no skills or nonsense like "copytyping", "rewriting PDF to word", etc. are scams.

Pure SCAM, trust me " Upwork Readiness Test is there for a reason, truly a life saver. 

Don't forget to use filters also, they kick the  hell out of some scammers

I don't think it is targeting only Pakistanis.  My observation is that they are targeting new low hourly rate freelancers from all over the world.  They believe they will fall for this scam.

No there were victims from the US & UK also. Unlike the Japanese bank ones where (afaik) 100% victims are from South Asia countries.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/I-think-I-have-been-scammed-by-Upwork-and-its-not-fair-M...

i want you try the best solution so i get money back from client

I'm sorry but credit card chargeback is not something you, upwork, or even a single bank can control. The system take the money back from Upwork and You.

1. The buyer (real card owner) requests a chargeback from their credit card company.
  2. The credit card company notifies our merchant bank and withdraws the funds from us.
  3. We place a hold on your funds.
  4. We immediately notify you via email and request information that could help to dispute the chargeback.
0ea796be
Community Member

You violated Upwork's TOS when you sent money off the platform, so you can't expect Upwork to step in to help you get your money back. Familiarize yourself with the TOS so you don't make the same mistake again. It's important to know how a site works and what is and isn't allowed before accepting jobs. 

759e32fa

Hi Naeem,

I understand your frustration with this situation. I'd like to confirm that action has already been taken against the account in question for violating Upwork TOS. As others have noted on this thread already users who request and accept payments outside of Upwork don't only violate the TOS but also lose the security of Upwork’s Trust and Safety programs, including Payment Protection. Any payments from a freelancer to work for a client or direct payment for a project’s needs are also inappropriate and not supported on Upwork.

For more information about staying safe on Upwork, please see this article.

~ AJ
Upwork
roberty1y
Community Member

I see this client has been on Upwork only two days and has already spent around $13,000. One freelancer was "paid" over $8,000, having billed zero hours. This is crazy. People need to know this kind of thing doesn't end well. Most of the freelancers in question are experienced, and should know not to make any financial transactions offsite.

the-right-writer
Community Member

You broke a lot of rules about using Upwork. Not only can you lose money, but you can also have your Upwork account suspended. Upwork is not going to pay you; the scammer is not going to pay you; the credit card owner is not going to pay you. There is no money. What did you think you were doing for so much money with an hourly of $3.33?

You were scammed because you broke the rules. Even if Upwork wanted to fight for you, they aren't able to under the current laws. Do not apply for any jobs until you read and understand the rules.

sh_jyoti
Community Member

Why did you send so much money to a stranger🤔

ericaandrews
Community Member

Repeatedly typing "I need my money back" is not going to get you your money back. You got scammed because you didn't follow the rules and the money is simply GONE.  It's gone and it's not coming back. If your money is so important to you, I'd recommend not being so careless with it in the future and handing it away so quickly to random strangers.  Upwork didn't 'force' you or instruct you to hand the money over to a random stranger. You did that of your own free will and free CHOICE. You attempted to make quick money by doing something illegal (money laundering) and got ripped off by somebody else who was also doing something illegal.  When 2 or more people are both trying to get 'something for nothing', somebody almost always comes up short and gets ripped off.  One criminal usually gets the 'upper hand' over the other, and this time it just wasn't you.  That's how the 'game' works. The money's gone. Accept it & move on.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members