🐈 Community
artiste007

change job category

I have a 96 job success score, but I want to change my freelance job category.  Has anyone done that before?  Does it affect your current job success score?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gayonb

No it should not affect your current JSS as far as I know. If anything it would only affect your stats as you would now be compared against other freelancers in that new category you're going in. 

Your JSS will be just fine Michael.

Thanks,

Gayon

(Optimistic Upwork Freelancer)

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." Henry Ford

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
gayonb

No it should not affect your current JSS as far as I know. If anything it would only affect your stats as you would now be compared against other freelancers in that new category you're going in. 

Your JSS will be just fine Michael.

Thanks,

Gayon

(Optimistic Upwork Freelancer)

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." Henry Ford

Thank you Gayon!  What stats would my job change affect?

Michael,

Some of the stats on My Stats, such as marketing effectiveness, are calculated in relation to other freelancers in your category. That's why you may see a change once you change your category. Those stats are not shown on your public account though.

~ Valeria
Upwork

HI there Valeria, I searched the question list for changing category and found this thread - would you mind helping me to change my category? Have been on UW for a month and think I've found a 'niche' which is diffrerent to what I originally put down 🙂

Thanks! 

Adnan

Hi Adnan,

You can click on your picture in the upper right corner of your profile and go to your Settings> Profile Settings. You'll find your selected categories there and will be able to edit them.

~ Valeria
Upwork

OK thanks - that's what I'd already done, I was interested in what the stats looked like versus a new category reflecting more of the jobs I was actually doing here, but because my works spans two categories it was still comparing me to the first category I chose. Not a big deal at all, was just interested. Will experiment.

Thanks

Adnan

Sorry about the confusion, Adnan, I didn't know you were referring to My Stats page.

Marketing Effectiveness section of My Stats page shows metrics for the category, in which you've applied for jobs recently.

~ Valeria
Upwork

What are the unique Categories?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michael,

Your Job Success score is based on your active and completed contracts so, as Gayon explained in his post, changing your category and updating your profile won't have any affect on your JSS.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you Valeria!

Outside of scoring, though, remember that prospective clients who are viewing your profile will see a history of completing only jobs in a different category, which may make you a tougher sell in the beginning.

Learning Paths