🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » change of tax residence
Page options
polyniki
Community Member

change of tax residence

Hello everybody. I changed my tax residence so I successfully updated all my data on Upwork to be used on invoices from NOW on, and what did UW do? It went ahead and changed the data on previous invoices too, that were already issued before the tax residence change. Like how does this make sense? For my clients to conveniently submit to their tax authority my new VAT ID for services I offered under my previous VAT ID. I do not want to setup a new UW account to avoid this problem, nor do I want to wait until I am sure my clients will not be submitting any false data and lose business in the process. Any other solutions? Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
PradeepH

Hi Polyniki,

Thank you for your message. I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
polyniki
Community Member

Good day, can you please escalate this? It has been 2 months and they have done nothing. They say they are working on it. Surely it can't be out of hundreds of ttousands of freelancers here on UW I am the only one who has ever tried to change their address and tax ID and gets new data on the old invoices issued and taxed under their old company. I mean you do understand I just cannot open a new UW account after all the sweat and tears I invested to build this one? I practically can't work any more and I have finished milestones that I politely asked my clients to leave open cause my company does not exist any more and I have new tax data that I need to enter NOW, without it being displayed on old invoices already issued 2 months ago. A client is sending me updates and I can't use the time tracker. I am telling them I will enter the time manuall once Upwork has solved my problem. Please do something. I can't believe I am having this problem with Upwork and noone had it before. It is surreal.

Hi Polyniki,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I can see that your ticket has already been escalated to the technical support team and that the agent assisting you on your ticket has informed you that they'll send an update as soon as they get one. At this time, they're still in the process of resolving it.

I followed up with our team and they'll reach out to you soon to assist you further. Also, if you wish to update the team with new information, I highly suggest that you post it on the ticket thread. When everything is in one place, we can be more efficient in assisting you.

Again, I apologize if it takes time for the team to get this fixed but I can assure you that we are working on it. We may not be able to update you on the day-by-day progress but once we have a solution, you'll be notified on the same support ticket.

Thank you for your continued patience.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello. I am as well troubled by this. If I ever need to get my invoices for the tax authority, I will have problems. Please fix this.

Hi Alexei,

Thank you for your message. I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
polyniki
Community Member

Thank you. Please understand that this is not an inconvenience. This means I can no longer actually bid on job offers or accept invitations. I am losing income for the past 2 months and I rely on Upwork and other platforms to make a living. Which also means my Upwork statistics will drop as I do not appear to be active.

Hello, it has been months since I reported this and you are supposed to be working on this and now your support is asking ME if it has been resolved and wants to open a NEW thread, instead of asking your enginners and informing me like promised. I had a contract closed and money in escrow refunded for a job I actually completed because YOU are doing nothing to fix such a surreal nonsense bug. It has been months with no available fix so I do not trust you will ever fix this. I have a client who owes me money and I cannot accept until you have fixed the issue. Can I at least ask them to pay me outside your platfrom without you banning me? You are already destroying my stats and my profile with your inability. It is only fair.

Hi Polyniki,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the delay in resolving your concern and how you feel about the same. I see that you are already communicating with the Escalation team about the same concern. One of our team members will reach out to you as soon as they have an update for you. Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused you. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
polyniki
Community Member

Also, is there any other workaround that you can propose? Can you make all my transaction history disappear, so that my clients cannot download the wrong invoices? Can you think of anything else to help me? I feel you are mocking me when you say that you have been working on my problem for 3 months and still are not able to fix it. Like how hard can i be to programm your platform not to update invoices that have already been issued with new tax data entered AFTER they have been issued.

Hello, just wanted to report that after waiting for 3,5 months where the engineers supposedly were working on fixing this bug, I was told that the engineers confirmed this is just the way it is and it will not change. So neither a solution was provided, there was never an intention to fix this and I had to wait 3,5 months, refund completed milestones, lose stats, lose long term clients, lose new business and feel like a complete and utter idiot. Thanks for nothing.

ismailov-oleksan
Community Member

The same issue, please fix that as soon as possible. Let me explain the problem for that who continue hesistate this question.

The story starts from understanding that people who works on upwork can move and decide to change tax residence and start paying taxes in different country. And everything well with this on upwork except only one thing.

When Upwork generate invoice pdf file Upwork should not use current taxt residence data, it should use that tax residence data which was actual on that date when invoice was issued.

The problem now is that after I have changed my tax residence to new country my old invoices became filled with that new updated tax residence data... Sure one of the solution do not show that pdf to tax officers but why it is so difficult to fix for almost 1 year? 

ismailov-oleksan
Community Member

OMG what I have found currently...
Newest Invoices still has previous tax residence info, and old one newest.

I think this side effect observed because upwork server can have an internal cache implementation which prevent generating invoice with new data and vice versa regenerate old one(1 year old) with new tax residence data...
It is only my observation of exist behaviour. Any bodey who has the same issue please rise this problem also... 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members