maliyshock

clear job history for 2 years

Hi guys! I know that freelancers that act very active and cool at first months after registration are get bonuses from upwork like special highlight for your profile or something.
I have upwork account since 2-3 years ago. But i didnt use him for all that time, cause i had a full time job. I didnt have any contracts or jobs on upwork.

So my questions are:
1) How upwork clients react of freelancer, who have account like for 2-3 years and didnt have ahy jobs? I think they dont like that much, am i right?
2) If so, should i create new one account?
3) If not, if my clear job history for 2-3 years does not affect my future contracts, would i have special bonunes and highlight for my profile, if i would be an active and great?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
christine20

@Denis M wrote:

Hi guys! I know that freelancers that act very active and cool at first months after registration are get bonuses from upwork like special highlight for your profile or something.
I have upwork account since 2-3 years ago. But i didnt use him for all that time, cause i had a full time job. I didnt have any contracts or jobs on upwork.

So my questions are:
1) How upwork clients react of freelancer, who have account like for 2-3 years and didnt have ahy jobs? I think they dont like that much, am i right?
3) If not, if my clear job history for 2-3 years does not affect my future contracts, would i have special bonunes and highlight for my profile, if i would be an active and great?

Hello Denis,

Sure it is good to be very active from the very first day you created an account on Upwork.

However, sometimes we get projects outside Upwork that offer juicy opportunities as compared to some of our dear clients that want to get value for 'pennies on the dollar'!

None the less, the moment you feel you have the time to start offering services on Upwork, with a 100% complete profile you can still start afresh.

Personally, I registered with Odesk (currently Upwork) in 2012 but landed more paying offline projects outside Upwork.  And I was not active for almost 4 years.  It was not until February 2016 that Upwork support team identified me and elevated me to the Rising Talent class that I regained interest to actively apply for projects.  I landed my first paying client in June 2016. Not that I was not applying for jobs, but because I had more viable offline projects.   What mattered to me most at that time was my profile and I worked tirelessly to maintain a high-class 100% profile.

After working on 5 projects for 3 clients, I climbed up the ladder and attained a Top Rated status.  Only 3 months after landing my first paying client!

To answer your questions;

1. By being active from day one, you are showing your commitment to offer services to Upwork clients.  But, and a big B.U.T. what matters to both of you, (you the freelancer, and the client) is what you can bring to the table.  If what you have accomplished offline adds value to what you bring to the cloud clients, nothing will stop you from landing clients.

2.  You do not need to create a new account.  I was invited to interview for a job that I did not meet all the criteria!  The prospect referred to my accomplishments offline, and felt that I had what she needed!  And the client falls in the highly respected category (she was managing a World Bank Project).  This was after my long hibernation period!

3.  If after you re-surface, you deliver on your promise, and you keep your face above the waters, you'll still get the projects.

So, go for it, apply for projects that you feel suit your skills and accomplishments.  Before you know it, with Upwork's support, you shall be comfortable offering services.

Thanks,

Christine

P.S. By the way, Upwork support team is very helpful!Smiley Happy

@Denis M wrote:

So my questions are:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
stencil_media

It's against the rules to create a new account, but I don't think clients really care about how long you've been here to be honest.

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Denis,

Note that you're allowed to create and use only one account on Upwork, as per Upwork ToS. Reactivating your account won't affect your chances of getting hired, so please focus on building your profile and submitting custom proposals. You can find valuable advice in these freelancer resources.

Untitled

Whether it's traditional work or freelancing work, Denis, nothing beats great work ethics and positive relationships with clients.  As for item #1, I do not think that all clients are that judgmental to base their hiring decision on an empty profile.  With item #2, I think that the action is not necessary.  Bonuses (I'm referring to item #3) are not forced treats. Clients normally drop their dollars when they are delighted with my work.

christine20

@Denis M wrote:

So my questions are:

Hello Denis,

Sure it is good to be very active from the very first day you created an account on Upwork.

However, sometimes we get projects outside Upwork that offer juicy opportunities as compared to some of our dear clients that want to get value for 'pennies on the dollar'!

None the less, the moment you feel you have the time to start offering services on Upwork, with a 100% complete profile you can still start afresh.

Personally, I registered with Odesk (currently Upwork) in 2012 but landed more paying offline projects outside Upwork.  And I was not active for almost 4 years.  It was not until February 2016 that Upwork support team identified me and elevated me to the Rising Talent class that I regained interest to actively apply for projects.  I landed my first paying client in June 2016. Not that I was not applying for jobs, but because I had more viable offline projects.   What mattered to me most at that time was my profile and I worked tirelessly to maintain a high-class 100% profile.

After working on 5 projects for 3 clients, I climbed up the ladder and attained a Top Rated status.  Only 3 months after landing my first paying client!

To answer your questions;

1. By being active from day one, you are showing your commitment to offer services to Upwork clients.  But, and a big B.U.T. what matters to both of you, (you the freelancer, and the client) is what you can bring to the table.  If what you have accomplished offline adds value to what you bring to the cloud clients, nothing will stop you from landing clients.

2.  You do not need to create a new account.  I was invited to interview for a job that I did not meet all the criteria!  The prospect referred to my accomplishments offline, and felt that I had what she needed!  And the client falls in the highly respected category (she was managing a World Bank Project).  This was after my long hibernation period!

3.  If after you re-surface, you deliver on your promise, and you keep your face above the waters, you'll still get the projects.

So, go for it, apply for projects that you feel suit your skills and accomplishments.  Before you know it, with Upwork's support, you shall be comfortable offering services.

Thanks,

Christine

P.S. By the way, Upwork support team is very helpful!Smiley Happy

@Denis M wrote:

So my questions are:

petra_r

Interestingly there seems to be another Denis M, who looks like he could be your brother.....

@Denis M wrote:

Hi guys! I know that freelancers that act very active and cool at first months after registration are get bonuses from upwork like special highlight for your profile or something....

Denis,

"Bonuses" is a confusing word to use in this context. If you are referring to being deemed a Rising Talent, bestowal of that distinction has been suspended while the program is being reevaluated.

I am not sure what you mean by being active and great. If you mean successfully bidding on contracts and meeting or exceeding client expectations: Yes, that is the way to be successful on Upwork (presence or absence of "highlights" notwithstanding).

Best,

Michael