🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: client ask me for my whatsApp number
Page options
mragab86
Community Member

client ask me for my whatsApp number

Hi Guys,

I made a bid on a project, then i receive a massage from the owner of the job asking me to send him my WhatsApp numer. 

I asked him why he is telling me cause most of the time he is not available on upwork.

do you think he is scam ? 

should i give hime my number or this is against upwork guildlines ? 

PS. I am new here in upwork 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Mohamed,

Please let them know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

This is not a real client. This is just a scammer.

You may give a client your WhatsApp number after he has officially hired you with an Upwork contract.

Yes, it IS a violation of Upwork rules if you give him WhatsApp number before being hired. You could be suspended.

NikolaS

Hi Mohamed,

Please let them know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
benywarz
Community Member

A Disposable Phone Number is generally a VoIP phone number that is used for a temporary purpose. The Numbers generally are used to protect users' privacy. Most of the disposable numbers forward calls or texts to the user's private number hiding the real user's phone number. Disposable phone numbers are also called temporary phone numbers. You can get these numbers from sms verification service All other services will be found on the site.

04ce8882
Community Member

Hi there,

It's great that you're cautious about sharing personal information, especially if you're new to Upwork. While I can't definitively say whether the person contacting you is a scammer, it's essential to prioritize your online safety and adhere to Upwork guidelines.

Upwork encourages all communication to stay within the platform to ensure a secure environment for freelancers and clients. If the client prefers using WhatsApp, it's not uncommon for them to ask for your number. However, it's advisable to communicate within Upwork until you've established a professional relationship and feel comfortable sharing contact details.

Using third-party websites to generate **Edited for Community Guidelines**, this might not align with Upwork's terms of service. Upwork may frown upon methods that attempt to circumvent their communication platform.

I recommend responding to the client within Upwork, expressing your commitment to the project and your preference for communication on the Upwork platform.

If they persist in asking for your WhatsApp number, you can politely explain that you'd prefer to keep communication centralized on Upwork for security and transparency reasons.

Remember, it's crucial to prioritize your safety and adhere to the platform's guidelines to have a positive and secure freelancing experience.

Best of luck with your project!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members