🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: client asking refund
Page options
das_megha
Community Member

client asking refund

I am having a concern with a client, Upwork team can guide me whether I need to refund or not? He is asking refund 2 times! As per contract I have done the layout which he must take care in this future and he end the contract, and also provided video guideline how to execute the maintenance, Instead of following those video tutorials still asking the works with out pay, and not even realizing the whole website has been done in lesser amount compare to to standard. I feel like he is going to utlise me for long time with out pay, because continuously he come up with new requirements. I am willing to refund, but just thought to ask Upwork team. Can you guys guide me? because I have more than 5 contract to work on and delicately working on it. and my clients are happy and they are waiting for output. Will it leads to suspend account? if yes I can quickly refund, if not I can do the steps advise by upwork team. Should I wait? 

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Megha d wrote:

I am having a concern with a client, Upwork team can guide me whether I need to refund or not? He is asking refund 2 times! As per contract I have done the layout which he must take care in this future and he end the contract, and also provided video guideline how to execute the maintenance, Instead of following those video tutorials still asking the works with out pay, and not even realizing the whole website has been done in lesser amount compare to to standard. I feel like he is going to utlise me for long time with out pay, because continuously he come up with new requirements. I am willing to refund, but just thought to ask Upwork team. Can you guys guide me?

Is the contract still open?

Is it hourly or fixed rate?

If hourly, when did you last track time?

If fixed rate, when was the last milestone funded (!)

Why would you be willing to refund if you did the work as agreed?

Hi Petra, Thanks for your response. 

Let me tell you the situation:

Client needed word press website in which he expected he can post and edit as per his wish. The total price was 200$

I started and submitted the work, and he was happy and end the contract. He reminded me later any help he will ask. 

After ending the contract he realised difficulty to customise the layout as per his wish as he was not a developer.

So he asked suggestion and I was off for few days to respond and he seems impatient and asked refund.

Then later when I logged I informed I can help him creating few video tutorials to teach how he can able to add or edit the content as per his ideas.

Then he seems happy again. But he keep coming to me with modification and requirement where he is not willing to pay me(I didnt asked also).. Now as I moved to other projects I am facing difficulties to work for him whenever he ask. Last one week aagain I was busy with other client and was not ready to respond him, so again he reporting to upwork that I am a scram and requested refund (full amount) Now its 2 time he requested refund. 

In this case what I can do? I am ready to refund if things are wrong from my side. I don’t want to get suspend my account as this is only my income source. If upwork team can check , then they will realise I have plenty of satisfied client and earned more than $10k dollar and many active contracts. ALSO I regularly pay upwork and buying connects for submitting proposal. I would like to say that I am actively working in upwork.

Will this situation affect me badly ? Is yes let me quickly refund this small amount which is headache now,

What would you suggest?

Answering your question again:

Is the contract still open? Contract Ended long back before. 

Is it hourly or fixed rate? Its fixed rate!

If hourly, when did you last track time? Its Fixed!

If fixed rate, when was the last milestone funded (!) It happened more than 1 month ago. Like he fully paid me and gave positive feedback. Later on he face difficulties so he believe that I am not ready to work him and asking feedback. As per contract I have done the layout, maintaining and modifying is his duty! What is the logic now that he is asking fully refund? in this case what Upwork do against me? 

Waiting for your advice again!

Thank you

Megha

Why would you be willing to refund if you did the work as agreed?

Megha d wrote:

Is the contract still open? Contract Ended long back before. 

Is it hourly or fixed rate? Its fixed rate!

If hourly, when did you last track time? Its Fixed!

If fixed rate, when was the last milestone funded (!) It happened more than 1 month ago. Like he fully paid me and gave positive feedback.

That's all I need to know.

No, do not refund, and firmly but politely explain to the client (ONCE) that the contract has been successfully completed, the work approved by the client and that any further work is out of scope.

Tell them that unfortunately you are not available for any further work.

The client can no longer dispute, as the 30 day deadline from the date the last milestone was funded (!) has passed. They can seek mediation assistance, but in the unlikely case that they do, all you have to do is state that the contract is closed, the work approved, and that you are not willing to refund. There is no chance of being forced into arbitration because the contract is outside the dispute deadline.

Then block the client.

Do NOT refund and stop doing any free work for the client

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members