🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » client cannot find how to give recommendation
Page options
mapes_patty
Community Member

client cannot find how to give recommendation

I have two contracts with a client.  He is very busy managing multiple projects and kept not getting around to close the first so I offered to close it. I gave him a good recommendation of course and said I would recommend him to others.  He says he cannot find where to leave his recommendation for me, etc. He was going to put in a ticket to Upwork, although I don't know if he did.

Is it possible that he can't find a form to recommend? Didn't get a message to do so? Or, am I just out of luck.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Patricia M wrote:

I have two contracts with a client.  He is very busy managing multiple projects and kept not getting around to close the first so I offered to close it. I gave him a good recommendation of course and said I would recommend him to others.  He says he cannot find where to leave his recommendation for me, etc. He was going to put in a ticket to Upwork, although I don't know if he did.

Is it possible that he can't find a form to recommend? Didn't get a message to do so? Or, am I just out of luck.

If you want to be sure of feedback, always, always, always have the client close the contract, that way you are guaranteed feedback and never have to mention it (unprofessional and yucky.)

If the contract has been closed for more than two weeks you'd have to enable a feedback "change" - otherwise, the client can just go to his contracts and find the contract

jobs - all contracts.jpg

terms and settings.jpg

Then he will find a leave feedback link on the terms and settings page.

Personally, I'd not push a client to jump through hoops for me though. Usually, clients hire freelancers so they can do less 😉

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

When a FL closes a contract, the client receives a message advising that it's been closed and inviting them to leave feedback. There is a 14-day window to do so. If he missed the 14-day window, you're out of luck. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Patricia M wrote:

He gets an email that the contract has ended and that he can leave feedback. I guess it was hoping for too much that a client who can't find the time to end a contract will find the time to open the email, go to the contract, and actually leave feedback. He certainly has no time to open a ticket because he can't find the email any longer, or can't be bothered to pull up the contract and leave feedback there. So, out of luck for sure. 

petra_r
Community Member

Patricia M wrote:

If you want to be sure of feedback, always, always, always have the client close the contract, that way you are guaranteed feedback and never have to mention it (unprofessional and yucky.)

If the contract has been closed for more than two weeks you'd have to enable a feedback "change" - otherwise, the client can just go to his contracts and find the contract

jobs - all contracts.jpg

terms and settings.jpg

Then he will find a leave feedback link on the terms and settings page.

Personally, I'd not push a client to jump through hoops for me though. Usually, clients hire freelancers so they can do less 😉

Your response is very helpful.  This happened about a month ago and so I have timed out.  If I get any new jobs on Upwork I will definitely not close them, but my JSS has dropped below 80% and I suspect I am out of the game and need to find new platform.

What I needed was a tutorial on Upwork where I would have learned in advance all the things I have no learned doing Upwork (wrongly).

Live and learn.

Thank you for the info.

Patty

tlbp
Community Member
mapes_patty
Community Member

Thank you for the good info.  I have seen the JSS post but not until I was fairly far into using Upwork.  My biggest issue I think is my own hubris.  I have had years of success developing, both as an employee, contractor and independently, but never using a system like Upwork.  If anyone were to ask me what I thought about Upwork I would still say that I think it is a system; quality is very important (as a person who spent a some part of a career fixing not good work). I just plunged in not realizing how dependent on is on the JSS. Had I done that I would have pickier about what clients I accepted, and more diligent logging changes, lapses in client responses, etc.

I hope I can find another similar platform to use, and this time I will know it inside out before I take any jobs!

Thank you for your help,

Patty

Sadly, it has been more than 2 weeks (3 ish) and there is not option to allow them to enable them to leave feedback.

Doesn't a contract closed with recommendation or feedback count negatively in JSS?

Patricia M wrote:

Sadly, it has been more than 2 weeks (3 ish) and there is not option to allow them to enable them to leave feedback.

Doesn't a contract closed with recommendation or feedback count negatively in JSS?

Only if a significant percentage of your contracts are closed without feedback. One or two here and there won't hurt you.

Patricia, sorry to butt in but if you look at the two low FB clients, you can see that they dinged you primarily on two things: deadlines and communication. (The second client scored you very low in quality, so that’s something only you know about, but I look for repeats and trends to see where I’m going right or wrong.)

If you can pick those up, you may not be out of the game quite yet. FTR, I pulled myself up from I think an 83% JSS back near the very beginning. In the early stages, 1. everyone has a lot to learn and 2. percentage-wise, even just one negative FB can bring your score down significantly.

Thank you for your response.  Water under the bridge aside, do you think it is even possible to get a job with a JSS in the 70s?

I have seen a few people say they've gotten work in the 70s but I personally would try never to let things dip that low.

I would absolutely kick A on any new projects I managed to get. I would submit BEFORE deadline. I would answer any questions immediately. And I would make sure I had a full understanding of the project and a complete command technically in its execution rather than making the client to through a lot of back-and-forth.

tlbp
Community Member

Patricia M wrote:

Thank you for your response.  Water under the bridge aside, do you think it is even possible to get a job with a JSS in the 70s?

I'm sure it is possible, but not easy. Based on the feedback you've received, I recommend that you be excruciatingly cautious when choosing which gigs to accept. If you are not 100% sure what the client needs and what tools it will take to get the job done, pass. 

I have had some clients with whom I have built a relationship over time and we can discuss how to get something done and try different options. But for the majority, they are hiring for their problem to be solved. If they hire you and then you can't solve the problem--regardless of whose fault that is--the contract doesn't end well. 

There are clients on and off Upwork who are looking for a collaborative partner but I think the majority are expecting a specific deliverable at a specific time. 

mapes_patty
Community Member

I know this is an old thread but the answer merits underscoring.  I too had a JSS in the 70's.  It was painful and as it is being pointed out, it takes work for fix.  Today my JSS is 100%. My biggest issue upon beginning with Upwork was realizing that I had to assess jobs/clients differently. For example, how clear are they on their request/description? When you speak to them is what they are saying verbally what they are also requesting in writing.  How much knowledge or experience do they have in the area they are hiring you for.

It isn't necessary that they have knowledge and experience per se, but if they do not you must determine if you can, within expectations, produce the deliverable they are looking for.

The catch here is, what is a potential client asking for, do they have the information or data available for you to work with, and most importantly, what do they really want?  Once I got this, I found success on the platform.

Bottom line for me was that corporate experience and process does not directly  relate 1:1 on Upwork. Change your process and you can elevate your success.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members